• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR 3a restoration Midwest

Lilscamp

New Member
Recently bought a set of AR3a’s that look to be in good shape, however will at least need the usual things done for restoration (refoam woofers, restore/replace pots, test/replace capacitors). I have no experience with any of the work needed to restore these (especially anything involving soldering), so don’t feel comfortable doing it myself for the first time with this pair.

Is there anyone in the Midwest who specializes in restoring these? I live in central Ohio, and would love to find someone within a reasonable driving distance
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I hear Speaker Repair Center in Dayton does a really good job. The Vinyl Groove in Bedford, Ohio offers speaker repair, refoaming.
 
Hello Lilscamp!
You have a great set of iconic vintage speakers, one of the best!
I think you can do this work yourself. There’s dozens of threads here and on the web showing the process. There’s also many how to solder videos on YouTube, it’s very easy to do.
First, you’ll save a lot of money doing it yourself, second, you will learn a lot about your 3as, third, you’ll gain great satisfaction completing the restoration.
Google “The AR3a Restoration Guide”. It’s on the classicspeakerpages.net. All the info you’ll need is there.
I’ve restored many sets of 3as. Here’s a link to one of the restoration threads. These are earlier then yours, but most if the info and pics apply to yours.
Cheers, Glenn
 
Hello Lilscamp!
You have a great set of iconic vintage speakers, one of the best!
I think you can do this work yourself. There’s dozens of threads here and on the web showing the process. There’s also many how to solder videos on YouTube, it’s very easy to do.
First, you’ll save a lot of money doing it yourself, second, you will learn a lot about your 3as, third, you’ll gain great satisfaction completing the restoration.
Google “The AR3a Restoration Guide”. It’s on the classicspeakerpages.net. All the info you’ll need is there.
I’ve restored many sets of 3as. Here’s a link to one of the restoration threads. These are earlier then yours, but most if the info and pics apply to yours.
Cheers, Glenn
Hi Glenn!

Thanks for your input! I have been reading the restoration manual obsessively since getting these speakers, and in doing so have been in a way psyching myself up into restoring them. If I go down that route perhaps I will provide some updates
 
Posted this question on another thread but was advised it may be better to keep my questions on the same thread, so reposting here (not only new to speaker restoration, but also audiokarma)


after thinking about it and with some encouragement, I have decided to try my hand at restoring them myself

The woofers definitely need refoaming, and I bought some replacement foam from Rick Cobb, but I guess I didn’t realize these didn’t come with shims or a dust cap. My question is which refoam method would be best for a beginner and have a larger margin for error? I like the idea of avoiding cutting the dust caps with the test tone method, but have read the shim method would be the only way to inspect the voice coils?
 
Posted this question on another thread but was advised it may be better to keep my questions on the same thread, so reposting here (not only new to speaker restoration, but also audiokarma)


after thinking about it and with some encouragement, I have decided to try my hand at restoring them myself

The woofers definitely need refoaming, and I bought some replacement foam from Rick Cobb, but I guess I didn’t realize these didn’t come with shims or a dust cap. My question is which refoam method would be best for a beginner and have a larger margin for error? I like the idea of avoiding cutting the dust caps with the test tone method, but have read the shim method would be the only way to inspect the voice coils?
Use a 30Hz test tone and be very careful. As the glue sets, every 10 minutes or so make sure the cone goes up and down with no issues.
I normally glue the foam to the cone, wait 24 hours, and then when gluing the surround to the frame I lift the cone up as far as I can, then let it drop down where it wants to on the glue. I push the surround into the glue on the frame, and then gently push down around the edge of the dust cap and listen for rubbing.

Be sure to replace the caps and the rheostats.
 
Last edited:
Ooops, doc is too large to attach. PM me for a copy. I have AR3 and (2 pair) AR3a. Yes, still own all 3 pairs, but not for long, downsizing.
 
Last edited:
Finally had some time to open these guys up to inspect both drivers. Looks like on one of the hi ranges there’s some separation of the face from the gasket (not sure if these are the correct terms). Also looks like the mesh behind one of the woofers is broken with some fiberglass coming through, as well as a braided wire connected to some black part within the fiberglass which I’m not sure what that is. I’ll probably be able to get a better look when I take out the woofers to refoam. I assume I’ll be able to patch the woofer up on my own but wasn’t sure if the tweeter would be a bigger problem
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2206.jpeg
    IMG_2206.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2216.jpeg
    IMG_2216.jpeg
    286.1 KB · Views: 7
I don't believe the mesh itself is a necessarily a problem but the surround or compliance is certainly in need of attention. Also, can't see your braided wire. Here's hoping it all works out!
 
Back
Top Bottom