• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR TT turntable

conaway

Active Member
I just acquired this AR turntable plinth, and it;s a model TT, serial number 02711 - one of the earliest I;ve seen. It has some different features as the attached pics show. The bottom panel has a different patter of slots, and also has 8 screws vs the usual 3, as it does not slide in like the panels on newer AR turntables. also, the t-bar assembly is dark grey (vs bare aluminum), and the wiring strip for the tonearm leads is smaller. Has anyone seen another one of these early AR turntable ? IMG_1585.JPG IMG_1586.JPG
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1584.JPG
    IMG_1584.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 22
Register to hide this ad
Older 2 motor model with probably the inset top plate, need a pic from the top to see that. Has the undesirable t-bar with the Delrin bearing wells, usually are seized up. Solid walnut plinth and top plate are usable in a new build.
 
I have one of that vintage with two working motors. Unfortunately, the tonearm bearing well corroded so the tonearm won't move and I don't believe there is a fix for that. I kinda like the idea of the second motor to assist the main motor.
 
Here's a picture of the top plate. I want to restore this, as it;s earlier than the other model TT I have. Finding platters and a tonearm shouldn;t be a problem - however, finding an original one-speed pulley probably will be dificult.IMG_1587.JPG
 
Yep, Inset top plate into the plinth and arm spindle that is seized into the well. Replace the T-bar with the aluminum one and your good to go.
Do you have the two motors or are you going with a singe. I have all the different pulleys made for these tables.
 
My second XA apparently was a 2 motor conversion because it has the inset top plate with holes for the non-existent starter motor. It has the newer t-bar and motor. This one is fitted with a Jelco tonearm that sfrost rewired and refurbished for me. The inset top plate is a nice look. My other XA was purchased new by me in 1970 and remains basically stock.
 
Here's a picture of the top plate. I want to restore this, as it;s earlier than the other model TT I have. Finding platters and a tonearm shouldn;t be a problem - however, finding an original one-speed pulley probably will be dificult.View attachment 635361

A single speed pulley for the original two motor table?.........nah, it ain't hard to find.;)
 
My second XA apparently was a 2 motor conversion because it has the inset top plate with holes for the non-existent starter motor. It has the newer t-bar and motor.

Same with my AR-TX. These tables were made close to where I live, and it appears that the original owner brought to the AR factory in Norwood (not Cambridge), MA sometime in the '70s and had it refurbished. It has some AR-XB parts and a new bottom cover with a new label applied with the Norwood address on it; the serial number was handwritten. It's since been given a comprehensive marcmorin-ization.

 
I just acquired this AR turntable plinth, and it;s a model TT, serial number 02711 - one of the earliest I;ve seen. It has some different features as the attached pics show. The bottom panel has a different patter of slots, and also has 8 screws vs the usual 3, as it does not slide in like the panels on newer AR turntables. also, the t-bar assembly is dark grey (vs bare aluminum), and the wiring strip for the tonearm leads is smaller. Has anyone seen another one of these early AR turntable ? View attachment 635253 View attachment 635254

That's about as early as they come!
 
Another example of a Marc Morinified AR XA

index.php
 

Attachments

  • ARXA#A.jpg
    ARXA#A.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 133
Very cool. I have an early model "TT" also. Mine is serial #04490

I modified mine to fit a Rega tonearm. I've heard over and over how the Delrin platter bearings seize, but mine is a babbet lined Delrin sleeve and still works perfectly with very little slop.
 
Marc - I noticed that, but forgot to point it out. Sfrost - I do have the two motors and plan to restore this as closely as I can. I've had good luck with the Delrin bearings. I do want to find the single-speed pully, though.
 
Marc - I noticed that, but forgot to point it out. Sfrost - I do have the two motors and plan to restore this as closely as I can. I've had good luck with the Delrin bearings. I do want to find the single-speed pully, though.


PM sent on the pulley
 
Not sure if anybody else caught that the top plate isn't held in with hold-down bolts.

Yeah it's glued in with just a couple brackets added for good measure. Compared to my later model XA's with more common top plate the rabbetted and glued older versions are much more dead, or dampened sounding via the knuckle test. Even with Dynamat sheets on the newer one, the older one has better resonance control.
 
Yeah it's glued in with just a couple brackets added for good measure. Compared to my later model XA's with more common top plate the rabbetted and glued older versions are much more dead, or dampened sounding via the knuckle test. Even with Dynamat sheets on the newer one, the older one has better resonance control.

I first noticed the quieter nature of the "in" top plate vs the "on" top plate while going over beatcombers table. I talked AVFan into building Mr.Pigs base this way.
I'm still amazed at how often things were changed early on, and then through out over the years.
 
Ahhh, I've made a mental note; any future XA bases will have a rabbet on the top edge. I wonder if the XB enjoys similar benefits since its top plate fits under the top lip of the base?
 
I've also had good luck putting a compressible gasket under an "on" top plate. Not as good to my ears as a glued and rabbeted "in" top plate. But, better than stock none the less.
 
Back
Top Bottom