• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AR TT turntable

Yeah it's glued in with just a couple brackets added for good measure. Compared to my later model XA's with more common top plate the rabbetted and glued older versions are much more dead, or dampened sounding via the knuckle test. Even with Dynamat sheets on the newer one, the older one has better resonance control.
Without looking I'd say that my unit with the rabbeted top plate has the same brackets as my other table. I seem to remember some remnants of glue though. This table has been refurbished with new springs, a repainted top plate, new switch, and a Jelco tonearm and a refinished plinth. Also cleaned up thoroughly and the platter spindle polished to some degree. I do not have a new thrust plate installed, however. The top plate has holes for the started motor. It has the original serial number as far as I can tell. I'm beginning it was built during a production running change and perhaps was not converted from a two motor. The serial number is XA 14023.
 
update on this TT. It had been parted out on the auction site...Since the serial number was so low, I decided to reassemble it with the original parts, so I bought them all. It is now doing daily duty on my family room stereo unit.IMG_1669.JPG
 
a couple of other unusual features of this early AR Model TT turntable (serial number 02711) - note the groove on the counterweight - I haven;t seen another one like it. Also note the groove in counterweight tube - it is not crimped like later models, but actually ground into a solid aluminum tube. I guess this was probably too expensive for expanding production of the AR turntables.
IMG_1658.JPG
 
just to complete the photo series of this unit, here is a pic of the underside after the original motors and new RCA phono jacks were installed. The original tonearm wiring, although not shown, was good, so I was able to reconnect it as well.
IMG_1607.JPG
 
Sorry, but have to reduce your total score for having your shoes in the pic.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
As much as I like Hot-Rodding these things, I salute you for keeping it original.

Oh, and that brush on the deck looks like a cueing lever from here, that one took me a minute. :confused:
 
You know, I was so busy looking at the pic that I missed the shoes and pants, had to go back before spotting them.
Pretty lucky getting those Delrin bearings freed up and working. One of these days someone has to come up with a replacement platter bearing like Merrill's.
 
Re the counter weight, I have one of those. Re the delrin cups. the first run were simply 3/8" bore into the delrin. AR then decided to bore the cups 1/2" and install the babbit bearing. Pull those, and install a bronze valve guide. It will of course need reamed to .376, and then finish honed to .377.
 
wow - I missed the pants and shoes too - had to take a second look. I;ll know better next time.
This turntable has the babbit bearing in the delrin sleeve.
 
Back
Top Bottom