• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are any of these turntables worth looking at?

ULM is not a big problem, you can use adapter.
Good to know, but does the contraweight on the arm have enough range to fit a fairly heavy cartridge like a at-150mlx (8,3gr) with a fairly light VTF (about 1,25gr)?
Can you confirm that?
For a normal arm that's no problem, but the ulm arm is made for very light cartridges, so it's contraweight might not be that heavy.
I have no experience with these adapters, so I assume that the alignment is also 100% (so the slots are long enough to facilitate all alignments on all cartridges and cartridge height also isn't a problem?). Can you confirm that too?

I've had a 650rc for a short while a long time ago (I guess 25 years ago) but wasn't really impresed with the motordrive and overal quality. So I swapped it out with a 721 which is on a completely different level in many ways. The 721 is here forever.
 
Last edited:
any of those old Technics are great middle of the road tables. my favorite is my SL-D205 w/an AK "red" stylis.
 
Good to know, but does the contraweight on the arm have enough range to fit a fairly heavy cartridge like a at-150mlx (8,3gr) with a fairly light VTF (about 1,25gr)?
Can you confirm that?

It was more than 30 years ago when I had CS741Q ULM version. Used with 1/2" adapter and Stanton 881S (5,5g) @ 1g recommended VTF without problem, it was perfect match for that time. Tonearm is good, dynamically balanced for high to high-medium compliance cartridge. But this is my only experience with Dual, later I switched to Technics 1210MK2, MC and so on. I do not remember weight of adapter, but it was very small. I believe it should work with 8,3g cartridge but no I can not confirm. I simply do not remember adjustment range.
 
We have 4 record stores locally, that sell vintage hifi equipment, serviced by a local tech. The majority (maybe all) has a 30 day warranty. Yes, you will pay more. However, if you are not comfortable taking things apart, and performing repairs, a serviced one might be for you.

That is quite a list you have there. Are these from thrift stores, craigslist, marketplace, etc? Is it possible to try it before you buy it?
 
Lots of decent table in that list.
If the price is good , The Technics SL-D2 and Pioneer PL-12D both have decent tonearms that mate well with a medium compliance cartridge like the AT-95e or the AT-VM95e ..check the pivot bearings for play/binding though. The Dual 606 is als worth a look if you prefer high compliance cartridges. I had the cheaper/ later CS-505/II Deluxe as my ever first turntable back in the mid 80s with the ULM arm...and it track warped records like nothing else I've used although its low mass was ultimately a limitation in what cartridges could be used. I imagine the older model in good condition with direct drive would be a good option at the right price.
 
Last edited:
Any of the Duals worth looking at?
Most are later Duals. PE was bought by Dual. That 3060 is a rebadged Dual 1225/1228. Had a PE 3048 I got cheap. Serviced it. Kept for 9 month. I really liked that PE. Worked well that nine months. Had a 1009SK take its place. That 3060 is all mechanical. No electronics. Clean and lube them and they wil run a long time. Have a 1219 I did 10 years go. Pictured on my avatar. Working well.

Add Technics to the want list.
 
Back
Top Bottom