• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are MacGyvered Geist Metered Power Strips Still A Thing?

tlite

Active Member
Looking at DIY-ing my own power strip for audio components. Came across this thread from a long time ago:

https://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?posts/5814038/

Do folks still like these Geist power strips (uploaded a couple pics I found of some models or other)? If so, what is required to get it working in the US? Do I just lop off the plug of whichever unit I get and put a NEMA 5-15 plug on it or do I need to swap out all the 20A outlets for 15A as well?

Would I better building or picking something else as a platform to improve?

Thx!

s-l500.jpg s-l1600.png
 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like a very cool power strip with the inline meter and all. They are not dirt cheap any more, but
it does look like swapping the twist lock plug for a conventional 3 prong 110v plus is all thats needed!
 
Looks like a very cool power strip with the inline meter and all. They are not dirt cheap any more, but
it does look like swapping the twist lock plug for a conventional 3 prong 110v plus is all thats needed!
Thanks for the input- you're right on the price. Ten years ago sounds like people were getting them for $25 shipped, but still fairly reasonable at $40-50 or so shipped if they're as good for audio usage as folks were saying in the old threads...?
 
$50 sounds reasonable to me with working meter and such.
 
Hey, I was on that thread nearly 10 years ago… still have and recommend the Geist power strips. Very good devices. I just changed the plug and good to go!
 
Hey, I was on that thread nearly 10 years ago… still have and recommend the Geist power strips. Very good devices. I just changed the plug and good to go!
Very good to know! Thanks !

I just bought two
BRCN100-1025FL models on the ‘bay.

Did you just go with generic hardware store 5-15 plug or a fancy hospital grade or other snazzy plug?
 
The two Geist BRCN100-1025 TL power units arrived yesterday. For reference I was all-in at about $53 for both from the 'bay, they were shipped together. Add on $5 for each plug. So $63 total for two of these things.

I attached a few photos, along with a photo of the $5 Leviton 5-15A plug I used after lopping off the 5-20A plug. Scratched up but working great and the inside of the unit is super clean and well built- looks like a star ground as well which is good. Sturdy metal housing. There is also an interior insulating sheet for the internals that I removed and forgot to get a photo of to get the image you see here.

FWIW- I've got one plugged in and it works great. Also as these each had 10' cables and I only needed 4-5' max I had enough cable leftover I can create an extension cord or maybe a second power cable. The cable is 12/3 (12 AWG, 3 conductor) - good thick cable.

Been ten years since these were mentioned on the forum until now, but keep your eyes out for them- appear to be an outstanding value vs. what they sell for new and what cheap power strips look like.

Letting all here know that it worked out well and I appreciate the AK advice!

IMG_9407_1530x1147.JPG IMG_9400_1612x1209.JPG IMG_9401_842x754.JPG IMG_9403_1209x901.JPG
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom