• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Moon Audio gears worth their value?

Mystery

constantly upgrading...
Dang... way beyond my budget... and that's only for the preamp. :yikes:

http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/3885645849.html
Simaudio MOON CP-8 Flagship Preamplifier/Processor - $8000 (Denver, CO)

3t93M13N15I25r75sdd6ldee14348e0521db5.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
Very helpful. Thanks. :grumpy:

It's a fair comment though, and I think the answer really depends upon the intention of your thread.

If it is a serious question, then yes, it is superb sounding gear and well worth the money for those who have the means of purchasing it.

If the thread is not really a question about the value and quality of the gear in question, but is instead a pot-shot at high priced audio gear, then these kind of threads are growing old fast.
 
It's a fair comment though, and I think the answer really depends upon the intention of your thread.

If it is a serious question, then yes, it is superb sounding gear and well worth the money for those who have the means of purchasing it.

If the thread is not really a question about the value and quality of the gear in question, but is instead a pot-shot at high priced audio gear, then these kind of threads are growing old fast.

Yes serious one.
I mean, there are a lot of threads here where preamps under $1000 new are considered great and here this one costs 8000 used so the question is whether they actually sound 8 x more or it's not that much in proportion.
Also, I saw matching amp for 22000 used. :yikes:
 
It's a fair comment though, and I think the answer really depends upon the intention of your thread.

If it is a serious question, then yes, it is superb sounding gear and well worth the money for those who have the means of purchasing it.

If the thread is not really a question about the value and quality of the gear in question, but is instead a pot-shot at high priced audio gear, then these kind of threads are growing old fast.

+1

Yes serious one.

Good

I mean, there are a lot of threads here where preamps under $1000 new are considered great and here this one costs 8000 used so the question is whether they actually sound 8 x more or it's not that much in proportion.

Now I'm not sure I believe that you are serious since what does is "actually sound 8x more [great]" even mean? Its a dumb potshot at high end audio IMO.

I think that most would agree that there are diminishing returns in audio, much like almost any product. You are likely to notice more difference between a $120 amp and a $1,000 amp than you will be between a $1,000 amp and an $8,000 amp. The key is to listen and decide for yourself what sounds better.

As for the pre in question, never personally heard much Moon gear, but the company itself is quite well respected and known for offering decent value.
 
What amazes me is that anyone with close to 4K posts on an audio forum isn't familiar with Moon by Simaudio, a company who's been around for 33 years. Looking at his signature, I blame it on vintage tunnel vision. ;)
 
BUT, don't pass judgement on someone who owns one just because YOU THINK IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY.
I never said that. Someone's ass-u-ming things.
Of course one can pay 2.3 million to an old Chinese bowl (last month auction) so there is value for even a polished turd to the right buyer.
My post was to get more info on these pricey items and whether they are really that top of the pyramid on audio chain.

What amazes me is that anyone with close to 4K posts on an audio forum isn't familiar with Moon by Simaudio, a company who's been around for 33 years. Looking at his signature, I blame it on vintage tunnel vision. ;)
Familiar has many meanings.
I've heard the name but never had chance to listen.
I'm also familiar with Alexandria speakers and others costing over 1 million buckaaroos but am not familiar by any means with them and how they sound.
This one is in local listing and was curious.
May be I need to get a different job and become more familiar with these costly beasts. :D

Looking at my sig, vintage tunnel vision? Hmm... all my gears in my sig is far less than that one Simaudio preamp and with my small pocket, I'll be in the vintage tunnel for a long while. :yes:
 
It's worth it if you want it.

I know you've taken issue with a similar answer but that's it. Is it 8x better? Better than what? And why the linear "its 8 times more expensive so it must be 8x better" thought? Things don't work like that. If its 2% better somebody might think its worth it. And somebody might think it isn't.

Me? I don't like any of the Moon gear I've heard so no, its not worth $8k to me. But I know some people who are big fans, and it would be to them.

There is a LOT of gear out there in this cost bracket. I don't know why so many AKers seem to be so surprised at it. It's like they spend their entire audio lives playing in one very small sandbox, not even curious about what's been going on for 30 years. And no, not everything new costs this much but some of it does and some of it that does is pretty cool gear that any audio fan, I would think, would at least be curious to hear.
 
Yes I'm using vintage gear because it's what I can afford. On the other hand I visit stereo shops, read the magazines and even subscribe to a few because I love to dream. So yes I know about Moon audio and many others. I'm always amused at the money Mike Fremer throws at his vinyl rig because I doubt I would but I'm glad he can and obviously enjoys it as much as he does. It's also fascinating what he finds, the differences in what seem like uber expensive gear that I'm thinking you could only hear if you did this day in and day out and were exposed to that level of gear at all times.

Could someone be in this hobby for 30 years and not be aware of Moon Audio? Wouldn't surprise me at all if most of their experience is associated around finding things they like locally or watching the bay at times for something different. Not everyone reads the mags, the many alternate sites or forums so may not be exposed to many of the names that seem so common to others. And if the OP has not been exposed to that then his question is a valid one and doesn't deserve to be crapped on. Especially by those being "moderators."

If you don't know someone's background, history or in short haven't walked a mile in their shoes, leave it alone and please don't dump on them. I have friends who have been in to audio at a moderate level for closer to 40 years and when I asked them about Mikey's latest rave, the dhartzeel amps and phono preamp, give me a totally blank stare. I won't go into their background but their history is rich in audio I never experienced except by spending time at their place.

If you want to explore or can point out what makes Moon audio worth it's price, I personally think so and would tickled to have some, then please do so. Otherwise can we stick to the audio and no attitude please? Maybe read the quote from Art Dudley someone posted in another thread.

If someone has used or is currently using Moon gear can they help out here?
 
Well, I've auditioned it many times and was never impressed. I have disliked it to the point that, when auditioning a pair of speakers, I asked for different amps to be used. I liked on of their CD players well enough. I don't know of any AKers that use Moon but that doesn't mean there aren't some lurkers who do. There's a lot of their gear out there, so its quite possible.
 
I spent some time with their gear, and the build quality is there, but for the investment, my ears preferred Audio Research gear without hesitation. I find the Moon gear fast but rather dry. The key words are "my ears" One of the issues with very expensive gear is the need to move the rest of your gear up the food chain as well to maximize your investment, and to realize a pieces potential. That is why I have a main rig and 2 vintage rigs. FWIW
Regards,
Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom