• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are new audio caps hard to find?

I’ve rebuilt a lot of 1060s. They’re pretty easy, for the most part. Your tech is not inspiring confidence. The new caps aren’t going to be bad—they’re reduced at the factory, and the odds of getting a bad one are virtually zero.

At this point I can do a full 1060 rebuild—caps, transistors, diodes, new bridge rectifier, power switch, light, trimmers—in about 4 hours. Your amp should not be sitting there for months.
I certainly get your point. My tech fixed a turntable for me previously. Works great.

I've already paid for the recap. And bought a new wood cabinet for it, waiting.

Do I still have same confidence I had when I gave it to him? Of course I don't.

If I pull it out of his hands. I have an $800 boat anchor. Then pay someone else to look at it? It's going to run its course on his bench. Until he throws up his hands. Then I'll make a decision whether to throw good money after bad, on this 50 yo junk.

I'm not wanting to sound sarcastic. I'm just frustrated. A $20 find, turned into this.

I think I sold you a non working Sansui 1000a, years back?
 
Last edited:
Something is amiss with your tech. Perhaps he is incompetent, or perhaps he is overloaded and rather than saying so he makes up excuses.

I am not as experienced or knowledgeable as @EastPoint, but I completely rebuilt my 1060 over the course of 4-5 evenings.

Obtaining appropriate replacement capacitors is getting a bit more difficult, but he is grossly exaggerating the issue....and I have trouble believing that a cap is the lynchpin for getting your unit back into good operating condition.
 
Last edited:
Something is amiss with your tech. Perhaps he is incompetent, or perhaps he is overloaded and rather than saying so he makes up excuses.

I am not as experienced or knowledgeable as @EastPoint, but I completely rebuilt my 1060 over the course of 4-5 evenings.

Obtaining appropriate replacement capacitor is getting a bit more difficult, but he is grossly exaggerating the issue....and I have trouble believing that a cap is the lynchpin for getting your unit back into good operating condition.
My tech thinks the new caps are fine. Last I spoke to him.
If this project goes south. I'm not looking to be confrontational with him. It's not worth it. I have other better amps. This one was just about the looks.
 
I don't think having a serious discussion about whether or not this is something he is capable of repairing is being confrontational.

You paid for a unit in good working order, and he has not delivered.

I understand that you have no intention of putting any additional $$ into it, but it was his claim that he could do the work (or had completed the work) that was the basis for everything you've put into it so far, including the new cabinet.

Minimally he needs to commit to a date by which it will be fixed, and make at least a partial refund if it is not. This is a relatively simple little amp. Something is just not right here.

If you are willing to let him slide, that's your business, but I'm curious about how long are you willing to wait? Seems like at some point you would want to get it back and recover some of your loss by selling it (as non-working) and the cabinet?

In any case, good luck with it.
 
Last edited:
If money was water.
Got More $ in it, than it's worth.
Would be worse if I hadn't initially just paid $20 for it.
This guy is incompetent. Chances are he will ruin the amp, possibly damaging the boards. What will you have then? Someone here may know a competent tech in your area.
 
Damn, tough crowd.
I think the OP has gotten the message by now.
I'll wait to see how it goes.
 
Damn, tough crowd.
I think the OP has gotten the message by now.
I'll wait to see how it goes.
It's been a long time. But, got it back from my tech. Besides caps, he replaced
output transistors, a potentiometer and a few resisters.
He found a wire was missing, when compared to another 1060. Took more time to get access to another 1060.

Yes, it was a tough crowd. @Dingman , You wanted to see how it went.

It sounds pretty good. I have some modern Bryston SS and Rogue tube amps. This is only my second Marantz amp. It has a vintage warm sound. Different than modern amps. IME.

BTW, The WC10 cabinet was made by AKer Assalah.

One foot was broken. Waiting on new feet to come in.

First post since site changes.

OG20230612_092704.jpg20230612_092655.jpg20230610_211453.jpg20230610_211511.jpg20230610_211647.jpg20230610_211651.jpg20230610_211705.jpg20230614_171746.jpg
 
Last edited:
It's been a long time. But, got it back from my tech. Besides caps, he replaced
output transistors, a potentiometer and a few resisters.
He found a wire was missing, when compared to another 1060. Took more time to get access to another 1060.

Yes, it was a tough crowd. @Dingman , You wanted to see how it went.

It sounds pretty good. I have some modern Bryston SS and Rogue tube amps. This is only my second Marantz amp. It has a vintage warm sound. Different than modern amps. IME.

First post since site changes.

OG
I hope it will be smooth sailing now :-)
The case looks nice! I have a Marantz 1090 that I re-did, and I enjoy it as part of my rotation. I only use the amp part of the Marantz
because I have a nice separate preamp. Missing wires can certainly complicate matters!
 
1060s are easy, super easy, amps to work on. Anyone stumped by one needs some remedial training and study. IMCO.
 
Seems a little harsh?

Pretty good sleuthing, I would say.
I've little electrical experience. I did work in support role in a manufacturing plant. Good deal of time was problem solving. I found it was a lot easier to talk a good game, from the sidelines.
 
I have a 140 amp flayed open like a dead carp here because half of the caps I needed were not available when I ordered a couple months ago. Some of them won't be in stock until May of 2023 according to Mouser.

Just get general purpose caps, they're the exact same except not gold
 
Back
Top Bottom