• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Sansui SP-5500 speakers a decent effort?

bd1886

Super Member
Kabuki. So many speaks get smeared using this general term and Sansui "egg crates" seem to get this term applied to them as a matter of course it seems, and over the years I have listened to a few (SP-200, SP-1200, SP-2000 and lastly a pair of SP-2500.) but none to my knowledge had had servicing of the crossovers etc, and when compared to other bookshelves? Some were OK, but not at all as refined as other speakers that I truly enjoy day in and day out.
Well over the years I have seen a couple sets of absolutely beautiful SP-5000s' but both times it was when they weren't set up for listening and each time walked away wishing to have had ears on these rare "overseas only" beasts!
Well, just found out that a pair may becoming available "somewhat" locally (a full day trip) and price seems fair enough but still substantial

Has anyone spent enough time with the SP-5500 (non "X") to say that "Yes, they are a substantial cut above other Sansui."? (Where are their strengths and weaknesses?)
Appreciate it.
 
Register to hide this ad
I have had them for several years now. I had the SP-2000 and it isn't even close. One inch MDF cabinet and very nice drivers make it one of the best from Sansui for that time period. Certainly not kabuki. Including some pics of the insides.....very organized crossover on panel. Very rare and the curved grill is badazz.Sansui SP-5500 speakers 001.JPG Sansui SP-5500 speakers 011.JPG sansui SP-5500 010.JPG sansui SP-5500 009.JPG sansui SP-5500 008.JPG sansui SP-5500 015.JPG
 
Boy, those are nicely built, aren't they? Like in most things, internet lore dictates that some speakers and other equipment from certain sources be outright rejected, and across the entire line. And it just isn't that way. The proof is always in the hearing, and the hearing is always within personal preference.

Of course, the prejudice toward kabuki speakers does not come without some justification simply because the almost slavish devotion to "more is better" led the Japanese to resort to some, shall we say, questionable design choices.

The SP5500 is a case in point. It's called a four way system with a four way crossover, but it's not. The crossover is a rather textbook 3-way 12dB/octave construction with three midrange drivers ( a horn and two 5" "corn" (cone?) types) on the same circuit reproducing the same frequencies in the same plane. The potential problems are obvious.

The bottom line, though, is how the end result sounds (and, apparently, looks) to the consumer. Sales numbers testify that to a very large number of customers, the kabukis sounded just fine. And continue to sound just fine.

It's always revealing that within the world of audio there is not a single speaker that appeals to or satisfies every listener. Nor is there a single speaker that is repugnant to every listener. That should tell us something about blanket condemnations of certain speaker types.

GeeDeeEmm
 
^^ above me is perhaps the only valid point I've seen regarding speakers/taste. Had I listened to the reviewers of all US audio publications when I was a budding audio-head (my early teens, the early 80's), I would have never given Japanese transducers a chance. Thankfully I preferred engineering to reviews, and many years later, Onkyo speakers front my setup.
 
I have Sansui sp7500x speakers and under some very limited and specific conditions they can sound good. Outside of that, they just plain dont sound good. They have their place in my line up, but they are DEFINITELY not my desert island speakers.
 
Those are beautiful.
I could not resist a pair of those for the right price.

You are correct....they are beautiful....over many, many other supposedly better speakers. Plus....these are very rare. The crossover remark just makes me grin. These were made in 1970 folks....and worrying whether you could hear David Bowie fart or hear Leon Russell slobber on the microphone was no great importance. It was presentation and sound....great sound....but not high grade sound.....and frankly...I am not after that. I like the warm 70's sound. It is a slice of audio history and I am proud to own a pair of these beautiful bad boys.
I have these set up with a pair of Bose 901's and is played thru the equalizer. At one watt, it is a very nice presentation of sound. At ten watts, it is thunder in the room...as I get bass and horn up front and reflective sound from the 901's and live music is awesome on it. Joe Cocker and his back-up crew sound crazy good on it. Some older pics....sansui sp-5500 002.JPG sansui sp-5500 speakers 6-7-13 013.JPG Sansui SP-5500 speakers 014.JPG sansui sp-5500 003.JPG
 
I have Sansui sp7500x speakers and under some very limited and specific conditions they can sound good. Outside of that, they just plain dont sound good. They have their place in my line up, but they are DEFINITELY not my desert island speakers.
And as said above generalizing and sweeping everything a company made in the same class is just not right and in accurate. Your SP- 7500x are not in the same class, same family or same build quality as the SP-5500, the only thing they share is the Sansui name.
 
I don't know how much you are thinking about paying... but I have always loved sansui speakers when I can adopt them for under $75 a pair. Get them, listen, recap, listen and decide if you want to keep them. That's the hobby.
 
I have these set up with a pair of Bose 901's and is played thru the equalizer. At one watt, it is a very nice presentation of sound. At ten watts, it is thunder in the room...as I get bass and horn up front and reflective sound from the 901's and live music is awesome on it. Joe Cocker and his back-up crew sound crazy good on it. Some older pics....

So, you are running the SP5500s with a signal equalized by the 901 eq? No wonder they "thunder."

No shame in that, though. I used to do that all the time with my 901 eq. Take a "blah" sounding speaker, add the 901 eq inline, and voila - it suddenly comes alive.

At one time in the late seventies I built extension speakers that used multiple 4 1/2" drivers for listening in other rooms and outside. The 901 eq made them sound quite nice.

GeeDeeEmm
 
Kabuki. So many speaks get smeared using this general term and Sansui "egg crates" seem to get this term applied to them as a matter of course it seems, and over the years I have listened to a few (SP-200, SP-1200, SP-2000 and lastly a pair of SP-2500.) but none to my knowledge had had servicing of the crossovers etc, and when compared to other bookshelves? Some were OK, but not at all as refined as other speakers that I truly enjoy day in and day out.
Well over the years I have seen a couple sets of absolutely beautiful SP-5000s' but both times it was when they weren't set up for listening and each time walked away wishing to have had ears on these rare "overseas only" beasts!
Well, just found out that a pair may becoming available "somewhat" locally (a full day trip) and price seems fair enough but still substantial

Has anyone spent enough time with the SP-5500 (non "X") to say that "Yes, they are a substantial cut above other Sansui."? (Where are their strengths and weaknesses?)
Appreciate it.
I have a pair of 5500's with 3500's on top of them..........UNBELIEVABLE.......Sansui G9000 pushing them...........Quite honestly, for the money.....cant be beat
 
Boy, those are nicely built, aren't they? Like in most things, internet lore dictates that some speakers and other equipment from certain sources be outright rejected, and across the entire line. And it just isn't that way. The proof is always in the hearing, and the hearing is always within personal preference.

Of course, the prejudice toward kabuki speakers does not come without some justification simply because the almost slavish devotion to "more is better" led the Japanese to resort to some, shall we say, questionable design choices.

The SP5500 is a case in point. It's called a four way system with a four way crossover, but it's not. The crossover is a rather textbook 3-way 12dB/octave construction with three midrange drivers ( a horn and two 5" "corn" (cone?) types) on the same circuit reproducing the same frequencies in the same plane. The potential problems are obvious.

The bottom line, though, is how the end result sounds (and, apparently, looks) to the consumer. Sales numbers testify that to a very large number of customers, the kabukis sounded just fine. And continue to sound just fine.

It's always revealing that within the world of audio there is not a single speaker that appeals to or satisfies every listener. Nor is there a single speaker that is repugnant to every listener. That should tell us something about blanket condemnations of certain speaker types.

GeeDeeEmm
Were they made by JBL??????
 
So, you are running the SP5500s with a signal equalized by the 901 eq? No wonder they "thunder."

No shame in that, though. I used to do that all the time with my 901 eq. Take a "blah" sounding speaker, add the 901 eq inline, and voila - it suddenly comes alive.

At one time in the late seventies I built extension speakers that used multiple 4 1/2" drivers for listening in other rooms and outside. The 901 eq made them sound quite nice.

GeeDeeEmm
Yes....but only up to ten watts. Gives them some depth at that wattage. But they will sing at 70-100 watts with eq. off...and the Bose still sound good cause it doesn't need the bass bump. ..the 5500 gives plenty.
 
Yes....but only up to ten watts. Gives them some depth at that wattage. But they will sing at 70-100 watts with eq. off...and the Bose still sound good cause it doesn't need the bass bump. ..the 5500 gives plenty.

How do you know how many watts you are putting into the speakers?

GeeDeeEmm
 
Also......were Sansui speakers made by JBL in the seventies????

No. But I'll bet the rumor arose because several Japanese companies worked very hard to exactly copy the popular models of JBL and Altec available during that time. Take a look at these Onkyos (photos and information on Onkyo speakers courtesy of Bowtie427SS - the guru):

Onkyo Scepter 10.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom