• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are Sansui SP-5500 speakers a decent effort?

No. But I'll bet the rumor arose because several Japanese companies worked very hard to exactly copy the popular models of JBL and Altec available during that time. Take a look at these Onkyos (photos and information on Onkyo speakers courtesy of Bowtie427SS - the guru):

View attachment 931377
Actually JBL help design the SP-3500 type speakers, they were also the service center for Sansui speaker repair at least on the west cost here. The SP-3500 was a speaker designed for optimum effect with a quad setup.
 
You are correct....they are beautiful....over many, many other supposedly better speakers. Plus....these are very rare. The crossover remark just makes me grin. These were made in 1970 folks....and worrying whether you could hear David Bowie fart or hear Leon Russell slobber on the microphone was no great importance. It was presentation and sound....great sound....but not high grade sound.....and frankly...I am not after that. I like the warm 70's sound. It is a slice of audio history and I am proud to own a pair of these beautiful bad boys.
I have these set up with a pair of Bose 901's and is played thru the equalizer. At one watt, it is a very nice presentation of sound. At ten watts, it is thunder in the room...as I get bass and horn up front and reflective sound from the 901's and live music is awesome on it. Joe Cocker and his back-up crew sound crazy good on it. Some older pics....View attachment 930402 View attachment 930403 View attachment 930404 View attachment 930401
Those curved grills are awesome. Who cares if they are not perfect as they sure look it! Most of time is spent walking by them anyway. Nothing wrong with smiling every time you walk by.
 
Actually JBL help design the SP-3500 type speakers, they were also the service center for Sansui speaker repair at least on the west cost here. The SP-3500 was a speaker designed for optimum effect with a quad setup.


I'd heard that before, but I've been unable to find any kind of authoritative documentation to that effect. In fact, no documentation at all. You are much more knowledgeable than I on these matters, 4-2-7; have you found any links or documents that attest to a contractual partnership? I'd love to delve deeper into the connection if any existed, but outside of rumor I haven't been able to find anything. Can you help?

I've discovered that despite the fact that JMTEC made components and assembled speakers that were dead ringers for Altec gear, there was apparently no cooperation between the two companies. Seems this was a case of the Japanese reverse-engineering the Altec gear for their market. (And, until some solid proof comes forward, I will continue to believe that the same happened with JBL/Sansui. What possible benefit could have accrued to JBL thru an association with Sansui? I would love to know.)

Oddly, I can't find any references to Altec taking legal action over the copies, leading me to theorize (no proof) that either 1) Altec saw no competition because JMTEC did not export their gear, or 2) Altec's patents had lapsed, or 3) Altec's finances were by that time in such poor shape that an expensive lawsuit would drive them even deeper into the red. (Again: these are my guesses. I have no proof for any of the three. Please do not repeat them as truth.)

GeeDeeEmm
 
How do you know how many watts you are putting into the speakers?

GeeDeeEmm
Both the Sansui G-8000 and the 9090DB it is hooked up to now have wattage meters for each channel. Is it accurate?....probably not to the audio freak but it's purdy with the lights.....and common sense prevails.
 
I'd heard that before, but I've been unable to find any kind of authoritative documentation to that effect. In fact, no documentation at all. You are much more knowledgeable than I on these matters, 4-2-7; have you found any links or documents that attest to a contractual partnership? I'd love to delve deeper into the connection if any existed, but outside of rumor I haven't been able to find anything. Can you help?

I've discovered that despite the fact that JMTEC made components and assembled speakers that were dead ringers for Altec gear, there was apparently no cooperation between the two companies. Seems this was a case of the Japanese reverse-engineering the Altec gear for their market. (And, until some solid proof comes forward, I will continue to believe that the same happened with JBL/Sansui. What possible benefit could have accrued to JBL thru an association with Sansui? I would love to know.)

Oddly, I can't find any references to Altec taking legal action over the copies, leading me to theorize (no proof) that either 1) Altec saw no competition because JMTEC did not export their gear, or 2) Altec's patents had lapsed, or 3) Altec's finances were by that time in such poor shape that an expensive lawsuit would drive them even deeper into the red. (Again: these are my guesses. I have no proof for any of the three. Please do not repeat them as truth.)

GeeDeeEmm

What constitutes "solid proof" in your opinion?

Outside of rumor, what do you expect to find? Do you find it probable that anyone here has access to the JBL and Sansui contract assuming such a contract was drawn up? If nobody here has the contract, does that mean it never existed?
 
What constitutes "solid proof" in your opinion?

Kinda why I left it alone, I'v already posted stuff on this forum about it but don't feel like finding it, then hear, well wheres the contract.:rolleyes:

Then the question as how JBL would benefit, LOL money!! and more contacts and support to get their speakers sold and and serviced in Japan. JBL at the time was a small fry then and worked with many to get a foot hold and become the giant they turned out to be.
 
I have owned a pair of 5500's for nearly ten years now being driven by a Pioneer SX939 and they are IMHO exceptional with image and clarity. I tend to generally shy away from Japanese speakers but these are beauts!

Never formally available in North America. I obtained mine as a matched pair (one of 2 pairs) originally owned by the manager of April Wine!

I do find though that they are a little flat with the low end despite the size of the bass unit and dimensions of the cabinet, but mids and highs are amazing. I paid CDN$400 for the pair nearly ten years ago.
 
What constitutes "solid proof" in your opinion?

Outside of rumor, what do you expect to find? Do you find it probable that anyone here has access to the JBL and Sansui contract assuming such a contract was drawn up? If nobody here has the contract, does that mean it never existed?

I think you misunderstand my purpose. I'd simply like to know whether the rumor is true. If it is, it would make for some quite interesting research and add a lot to everybody's knowledge of the industry that supplies our hobby. I'm not making any accusations about 427 (whom I have great respect for) or anybody else because I don't know if it's true. But I'd very much like to know, wouldn't you? But this inquiry is all in good fun, and is nothing more than an effort to track down the truth.

I wonder if Greg Timbers still visits this forum? I'll bet he could offer some very interesting insights.

I posted an inquiry on the JBL forums to see if anybody there has any knowledge of it. Maybe something will pop up.

GeeDeeEmm
 
Last edited:
Here we go, gentlemen: Still no documents, but photographic proof that JBL did indeed work with Sansui in developing speakers. I was wrong in guessing not. Just now beginning to read the links provided, but this is some very interesting stuff.

(And I reiterate that no offense was intended to 427, and I hope that he didn't take it that way. My apologies if I didn't make that clear.)

GeeDeeEmm

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?37305-Identity-crisis&highlight=sansui
 
Sansui made cabinets for actual JBL components and sold them in Japan, as well as distributing JBL speakers in Japan. Don't know if JBL did any engineering, but anything is possible. I'd love to have some JBLs in Sansui cabinets! You see them on yahoo japan auctions and places like hifido


Sansui1.jpg
 
I think you misunderstand my purpose. I'd simply like to know whether the rumor is true. If it is, it would make for some quite interesting research and add a lot to everybody's knowledge of the industry that supplies our hobby. I'm not making any accusations about 427 (whom I have great respect for) or anybody else because I don't know if it's true. But I'd very much like to know, wouldn't you? But this inquiry is all in good fun, and is nothing more than an effort to track down the truth.

I wonder if Greg Timbers still visits this forum? I'll bet he could offer some very interesting insights.

I posted an inquiry on the JBL forums to see if anybody there has any knowledge of it. Maybe something will pop up.

GeeDeeEmm
The rumor is true in that there was a connection between the two companies. Exactly what? Thats where the "rumors" come in. Nobody has an exact and complete list as to what went on between JBL and Sansui. Want a hard copy of the signed contract? Good luck. Want solid proof? Good luck. But if you look hard enough it is clear that something went on between them.
 
Last edited:
There's been a pair for sale locally for quite a while for seemingly short money so I'd have to say no they're not thought of as "special" in our neck of the woods.
 
The rumor is true in that there was a connection between the two companies. Exactly what? Thats where the "rumors" come in. Nobody has an exact and complete list as to what went on between JBL and Sansui. Want a hard copy of the signed contract? Good luck. Want solid proof? Good luck. But if you look hard enough it is clear that something went on between them.
I have a pair of SP-5500's modified by a JBL Engineer back in the 70's and he replaced the tweeters with slot tweeters to help me hear the high notes. I like cymbal sounds, at least back then. He said JBL did the engineering for Sansui in the 60's and early 70's. Other than that, I just paid the build which was almost as much as I paid for the speakers in the Philippines.
 
Hello all again..........concerning any connection between JBL and Sansui....At NO TIME EVER, has JBL had or has any connection concerning any Sansui speaker....I talked to JBL in California and they assured me that it was so.........For the money and my ear, there is not a better speaker than the SP 1200, 1700, 2500, 3500 or 5500 speakers........Good day all
 
Hello all again..........concerning any connection between JBL and Sansui....At NO TIME EVER, has JBL had or has any connection concerning any Sansui speaker....I talked to JBL in California and they assured me that it was so.........For the money and my ear, there is not a better speaker than the SP 1200, 1700, 2500, 3500 or 5500 speakers........Good day all
I think you missed something
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?37305-Identity-crisis&highlight=sansui

i.jpg a.jpg a-1.jpg


http://aucview.aucfan.com/yahoo/j246195848/

j246195848.1.jpg
 
Hello all again..........concerning any connection between JBL and Sansui....At NO TIME EVER, has JBL had or has any connection concerning any Sansui speaker....I talked to JBL in California and they assured me that it was so

There is izziadog for you.....
 
Back
Top Bottom