• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Are these the best speakers ever made?

They may be the best speakers ever. But if they are they were probably very expensive and the amount sold was very small. So the chances of ever seeing one let alone hearing one to find out if this is true, is very very slim.
 
Totally subjective, but I think the crown would belong to Bozak or Electro Voice. My local speaker tech has heard hundreds of models, and had stuck with Klipsch Cornwalls for years until a pair of EV Interface D came into his life. He sold his Cornwalls and proclaims the EV's as the best he has heard.

After hearing them, I would have to say they are indeed a competitor. Last time I was there he had just rebuilt an old pair of KEF Concerto's...impressive.

KEF_Concerto_b.JPG



The 'best' for my ears is Martin Logan ESL's...

MartinLogan%20Summit%20loudspeakers.jpg
 
"The precise horn of aluminum cutting is reproducing the diffusion organization and the natural tone quality which controlled horn stink conjointly."

An odious statement!!!:D
Indeed! I guess the translator got lost trying to say, " the horn is specifically designed for excellent dispersion, superb sound and low distortion."

I agree with all the previous observations. There is no such thing as a perfect speaker, especially one designed for all types of music; therefore, there can be no validity to the statement, "the best speaker ever made," regardless of who made it.
 
IMHO, Opinions are... personal.

Bwa, ha, ha, ha! This is an unanswerable question. It is a matter of opinion.

The speaker doesn't appear to have either phase aligned drivers nor, most likely, a phase aligned crossover. IMHO that is a big mistake and flies in the face of the "time coherent" portion of the statement.

Judging a product by its weight... no comment.

I am not down on horn speakers. The three best speakers I have heard were horn speakers. But it takes more than horns to be the the best.

Onkyo Grand Scepter. Supposedly the most time coherent, distortion-free speakers ever made. Lofty aspirations. Has anyone seen or heard a pair? I sure haven't. Amazing looking speaker, is it not?

They weigh 177kg apiece. Completely horn-loaded. It appears as if the woofers, in addition to being horn-loaded, also have giant phase plugs. Meant to be paired with one of Onkyo's incredible power amps(like the M-509, which I own).

Any input would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
but obviously he is a good salesman, he claims to sell to GCHQ - thats the UK intelligence and signals interception base.

Hmmmm..... Basically a car speaker in a floor-standing enclosure. I wonder how he manages a tri-axial system without crossovers? A multi-talented man for sure. Owner, designer and he even does his own reviews. Nothing fishy there!
 
Hmmmm..... Basically a car speaker in a floor-standing enclosure. I wonder how he manages a tri-axial system without crossovers? A multi-talented man for sure. Owner, designer and he even does his own reviews. Nothing fishy there!



i believe his system comes with an active crossover/room eq, basicly a car speaker in a transmission line enclosure with something alot of cinema amps do these days. $1200, bargain!

as for the grand sceptres, i believe they were massivly inefficient with the standard crossover, but the option was there for the customer to easily replace it with their own design (as with alot of the big technics).
 
Don't get me wrong, I actually like a lot of car speaker systems I've heard(boom cars excepted). I hate to say it, but Bose makes a very good car system that comes standard in some upscale cars(mine included). For $1200, they would be worth listening to, especially with an active crossover.
 
Interesting, never heard of Onkyo, making a speaker that professional, it was mostly JBL and Altec, I though were the only ones bulding them that large, no doubt, they would be very good.
 
Totally subjective, but I think the crown would belong to Bozak or Electro Voice. My local speaker tech has heard hundreds of models, and had stuck with Klipsch Cornwalls for years until a pair of EV Interface D came into his life. He sold his Cornwalls and proclaims the EV's as the best he has heard.

After hearing them, I would have to say they are indeed a competitor. Last time I was there he had just rebuilt an old pair of KEF Concerto's...impressive.

I agree 100% with how subjective things are. Just for kicks (and not to sound like the azz my wife tells me I am :D)

In 1978, I bought a pair of EV Interface D's and yes....still have them today. So, we're talking about 32 continuous years of ownership and two (IIRC) recones of the woofers. Are they good? yep. Are they veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy damn good? Yep.

That said, I've got another pair of speakers in the house that walk all over them.

Totally subjective :thmbsp:
 
Seriously impressive... they look like a kind of morphed merging of Klipsch LaScalas and Altec Lansing 14's. "Best" is highly subjective, but I wouldn't doubt that they're "up there" in the great speaker strata.
 

TVK said:
Besides price (1,000,000¥), weight (117kg) and diminutive sizing (106 x 63 x 61,5cm), the GS-1 proved to be somewhat difficult to power, due to a fairly complex internal filter/crossover : the latter scales efficiency down to 88dB / W / m while using an external crossover/filter allows the GS-1 to shoot up to 100dB !

Ummmmm... that's some super serious change back in the 1980's. Wouldn't JBL Hartsfields give these a run for their money, at less cost after reconditioning?
 
I agree 100% with how subjective things are. Just for kicks (and not to sound like the azz my wife tells me I am :D)

In 1978, I bought a pair of EV Interface D's and yes....still have them today. So, we're talking about 32 continuous years of ownership and two (IIRC) recones of the woofers. Are they good? yep. Are they veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy damn good? Yep.

That said, I've got another pair of speakers in the house that walk all over them.

Totally subjective :thmbsp:

So what speakers walk all over the D's?
 
Back
Top Bottom