• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

At What Store, Now or Past, Would you Like to Shop?

1) Audio Spectrum, in the Altamonte Mall in Florida -- mid to late 70's. That's where I drooled over the most equipment in grade school and high school. They carried a lot of high-end equipment I could not afford, but as a 13-ish year old, the salespeople would still take the time time to demo everything for me as if I could afford it. When I finally scraped up the money, I did buy Advents and a Nakamich BX-2 cassette deck from them, which were the least expensive items they carried. I had my eye on Yamaha receivers -- which were very expensive (relative to Pioneer, Marantz, etc.) back then when new (but ironically are somewhat under valued in today's hot vintage market). I couldn't swing the Yamaha, and had to go to different store (name escapes me) in the Colonial Mall to buy a receiver I could afford (Superscope 10wpc).

2) The Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX, today. I would just sit down at the table with my family and never leave.
 
Last edited:
Before there were thrift stores there were junk shops. The best among them was the

189493c03971b0cd91d8856feee636ab.jpg

To far to ride our bikes so we only got to go when the adults did. A couple of bucks and it was like Christmas. :banana:
 
We had a strip mall near us that had, from left to right:

Licorice Pizza records - Pacific Stereo - Wherehouse records - Electronics supply store
This was like a whole afternoon of audio bliss.

And, around behind, immediately behind that particular mall, and those stores of audio wonderment, was another smaller set of stores, one of which was Tandy - Radio Shack.
 
any of the 6-8 Hobby shops in the Washington DC area. Keene's model RR. Springfield Hobbies and Century Coins, Doug's Hobbies/Action Hobbies, One at Landmark, one at Bradlick, A great shop in Woodbridge, Hobby Hanger in Chantilly, and Piper Hobbies across the street.
 
Any real army surplus store. Ours recently closed, but I quit shopping there years ago due to the lack of the surplus variety they used to carry. Back in the day you could find a genuine durable military version of most anything you could think of in that store. Towards the end their stock was mostly new Chinese flea market type junk.
 
Past: Recycled Stereo, 1980s. I think it was in North Hollywood Ca. Lots of pre-owned, mainly trade-ins at Pacific Stereo outlets
Past: Warehouse Sound, 1970s. San Luis Obispo Ca. Lots of hot new gear, all the great stuff of the era (That I could barely afford).
 
Past:

Colleens Collectibles Record Store- 1980's in Columbus, Ohio...she had the records sorted out by instrument.gz
Don&Sues Pizza- Newark, Ohio 1990's, the best damned pizza I ever eaten
Twin Fair Discount Store- 1975 just to go back and follow my wife down the aisle and re-live the biggest case of lust so far in this life.
1978- the Hi Fi shop on Hamilton Rd in Columbus, Ohio - they had Rogers, Magneplanar, Klipschorns, Audio Research, NAD
 
Arthur Treacher's Fish and Chips

Me and a high school friend use to stop there for an occasional lunch back in the late 70's. They had malt vinegar bottles on the table (unique at that time) .. my buddy use to routinely go through half a bottle (just himself) every time we ate there.

 
E.J. Korvettes in Nanuet, N.Y. and Crazy Eddies in Paramus, N.J. for their great record sales.

For food, Marcy's Pizza in Park Ridge, N.J. Great pies, frosted beer mugs and a shuffleboard table.
 
That broad was a jag-off. But then Oak Park is full of those.

That one made me laugh, Tom. I lived on the far-eastern edge of OP, a couple of blocks west of Austin Blvd, so (practically) across the road from The Austin District.

Anyway, I got a lotta really good deals on scarce records - Val would even hold items for me before putting 'em out. Sure, she was a bit on the mouthy side ... toxic something, I reckon ... but for some effin' reason she too a shine to me.

PS: You must have liked Halla? The shop's cat -- "Woden" -- was a effin' pill.
 
Back
Top Bottom