• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

atlantis oracle 3's, know anything about these?

You can increase mass experimentally with moretite. Push it on, pull it off.
 
Interesting speaker the Oracle III is. :scratch2:

I have a chance to pick a pair up locally... more later if I get them.

Scott
 
Scott, the III's sound like a slightly smaller version of the Fours but a very similar design. I was thinking of bringing these beasts to Jay's in June just to see what people thought (esp. the looks when you take the top cover off :D). If you get the III's, we could have an Atlantic shootout. :tongue: I'd have to bring the truck though, they're too big for the car.
 
An instructive experiment that may shed some light on why this speaker sounded good but misses the mark vs the DQ-10, involves temporary swap of the existing midrange with an open back cone unit like the phillips model on the DQ-10. Since the latter was crossed-over low enough to act as a lower mid bridge to the dome mid,that is, at 400 hz, it still responds down a couple of octaves into the 100 s hz....low enough to impart the clarity and low coloration of dipole op.
 
Hello to all... Well this post is slightly late in coming. I actually came across the thread while looking for something unrelated. As it turns out I have a pair of these (original working condition) that I use everyday and thought I'd fill in some of the blanks. I have never been able to locate much company info... which I have found common with many vintage electronics manufacturer's who were able to compete with the explosion of Japanese and European electronics "Giants" that emerged in the U.S. in the 70's and 80's. Many of these manufacturer's produced prducts that were far superior in quality, ability, and life expectancy of their Asian and European counterparts, but were unable to mass produce cost effectively due to there dedication to audio excellence. There just weren't enough hard core audiophiles who would settle for less than top of the line audio quality and perfomance... regardless of the cost. Enough blathering...Here's what I got.
Atlantis Oracle Three loudspeakers- manufactureer: Team Electronics Minneapolis, MN
Bass Section - Passive Radiator (unported) 10" active driver with 12" passive radiator * surrounds reversed on both
Treble Section - Controlled Diffraction 4 1/2" (cone type) tube loaded low mid-range driver 1 1/2" (dome type) high mid-range driver 1" (dome type) tweeter
Crossover Network - printed circuit design with "Autostat" protector
Power Handling - for use withamps rated up to 80 RMS watts/channel
Impedance - 8 ohms nominal
Cabinet - 3/4" oiled walnut veneer plywood
Bass and Treble section covers - Bass sedtion cover frame 3/4" plywood - Treble section cover frame 1/2" and 3/4" oriented strand board ** both covered with Char-Brown acoustically transparent fabric *** treble cover has 17"x13 1/4"x 1/4" black glass inlay
Dimensions - 33" H x 18" W x14 1/4" D
weight - 51.2 lbs/22.3 kgs
1977 cost (DesMoines, IA) - $613.88 pair (out the door)
My thoughts... well you can certainly tell these constructed in an afternoon at the factory clearly handcrafted high quality loudspeakers. Frequency response is 25hz-30khz @ +/- -6db, the rated power handling is rather modest I have never pushed them to the point of over-protection but have played them at sustained rates 75 watts and even today that level have a very minute percentage of harmonic distortion whether playing analog or digital music...hmmm? you might find that sort of quality in say... some 800 series B&W nautilus freestanding loudspeakers, I have mine paired with some B&W CWM8 in-walls I purchased back in 2006 for $2250.00 each, the newer B&W's @ 7 1/2 x's the cost have nothing on my Three's... Perhaps I'm biased but it would take substantially more than I payed for them new to even entertain the idea of letting them go... $25.00 a pair??? Yeah Right.. heh heh heh. The logo by the way... 3" x 5/8" 30 gauge aluminum plate located on the bottom right corner of the treble section cover and is black stenciled with brushed aluminum lettering starting with the Team Electronics trademark "ATL" in 3/8" lettering followed by a space and the speaker brand "Atlantis" in 3/16" lettering. Atlantis were produced from 1977 through the end of 1981. My Oracle Three's were the 24th pair of Atlantis speakers constructed in 1977. I've only actually seen one other pair of Oracle Threes since leaving the store back in 1977. In my opinion you'd be most fortunate if you had a pair of these absolutely exquisite loudspeakers to jam with.
 
Hi MadeOfMusic and welcome to AK! Thanks for that info. I was particularly excited to see the original $MSRP.

I am now the proud owner of SPLdb's Threes mentioned above, plus a pair of Fours he also had, and my own Fours. SPL's pairs are in the process of refoaming, recapping and cabinet repair. Refoam is pretty much done but the caps are yet to come. Time is hard on the square frame integral stand on the bottom. I think I will tear off the disintegrating particleboard and make new ones out of solid wood.

The long term plan for some crazy fun is to try stacking them horizontally with the upper drivers lined up in a sort of line array. I'm not sure where you're located but you might be able to hear it from there when I get around to it. :rflmao:They are great speakers, among the best I have owned and built very nicely (except for that bottom stand but who's quibbling).
 
Hey toxcrusader thanks for the welcome, I'll be waiting for your finished speaker array demo..... and let you know how well it can be heard from SE Nebraska. They are great speakers, I've never heard the fours so I'm in the dark there exept for the reviews I've read which many have complained of too much bass. In my shop I have a great sounding (well kind of an array) that previosly included my Three's which Iswapped when I got a great deal on a pair of La Scalas to accompany some some old Corner Horns I have Along with some Sansui SP 3000a's and some Cerwin Vega at 10's. Powered by an old Marantz 4400 all these compliment each other quite well and sound great. You might be able to hear them from here as well.. hehhehheh I used to hang my hat in Kirksville well for about 9 months anyway when I was a kid. Have you ever tested your system with Battle Los Tambores by Godsmack? Now there's one that will definitely exploit any weaknesses your speakers may have if you crank her up (even a little) too much.
 
Haha, sure like a good drum battle but I have not experienced Godsmack. I think we are kindred souls though - I like that flat extended bass that makes a drum sound like it's supposed to.

I read the same about the 4's and I do hear a bit more boominess compared to, for example, Klipsch kg 4.2's which I also really like. I will be able to make a direct comparison between Three and Four when I finish the resto. On the weekend I started working on the Three cabinets. Seems one of them was in a bit of water and the square frame base is rotting so I'm going to take it off and fabricate a replacement. Luckily I have access to wood including solid walnut. Forget that particleboard stuff. :D Also adding threaded sockets and screw-in feet to reduce strain on the base when moving them around on carpet. I think I might put a brace front-to-back, there is barely room where the woofer and passive come together in the center. Finally, moving the connectors to the rear side of that base and converting to 5-ways. Much easier to hook them up.
 
Posted in another thread, but very interested in learning about the Atlantis Oracle 3's that I picked up at a garage sale in 2008 .

Should I be trying to restore these? I love the way they sound, just wanted some input from some people who own them!
 

Attachments

  • 20180626_024420.jpg
    20180626_024420.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180626_022832.jpg
    20180626_022832.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180626_023236.jpg
    20180626_023236.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180626_024105.jpg
    20180626_024105.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20180626_022951.jpg
    20180626_022951.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180626_023038.jpg
    20180626_023038.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180626_022930.jpg
    20180626_022930.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 44
[I'm going to transfer my post from the Oracle IV thread to here since you have III's anyway. Oracle owners will probably notice your post any of the threads so no need to post further in all of them, this one will do. :D]

Your Oracles look to be in great shape and shouldn't need a whole lot. Even the surrounds look good, first time I've see that.

I don't know of a shop that does speaker restoration in KC but if you're in need of a woofer that's going to be one big time consuming thing. It would be best to find a correct original Becker woofer, and it may take some time to find it.

I do not know of any spare drivers sitting around or 'parts sets' of Oracles. Nor do I know a specific brand/model of woofer that could replace it. BUT that's possible to determine if you can't find an original. I have driver tester software that might get us started. But far better to get the correct one.

I would suggest an automatic search on ebay that notifies you by email of auctions with certain keywords, such as "Becker woofer", "Oracle woofer", "Atlantic Oracle", etc.

Other than that, some new capacitors for the crossovers would be the next thing.

I'd sure like to get a high quality scan of your Oracle III label. My pair is missing both its stickers.
 
I don't think I have a pic of the back of mine and they are all currently mounted. You could always pull the other one out...while you're there take a pic and post it for the rest of us slobs. :D

Edit: I seem to recall a round magnet though...
 
I love vintage hi-fi equipment, now that I can afford them. August 2023 Laramie WY, walked into Goodwill and loved the design, never heard of Oracle Speakers, paid $40 for the pair. The woofers were not original, a tweeter and domed midrange blown, crossover resistor burnt/fractured, and glass tops missing. I scoured the web for info, searching for original Becker drivers without luck. So, I made the decision to go with Dayton Audio, combination of Designer and Reference drivers from Parts Express. In rebuilding the crossover, I went with a 2 level design using Dayton Audio polypropylene capacitors with film foil by-pass capacitors. I made wood rings to set into the routings for the woofer and passive radiator openings for a snug flush fit for the new drivers. I also decided to go with a 5inch low midrange, which meant a major reworking of the baffle tube configuration, and might as well mirror the treble section. They sound is amazing!!!

Next step is to remake the grey 5x3 label on the treble section to reflect modifications. The bass grills will need larger mdf cutouts as new drivers sit wider and higher than original drivers and new brown grille cloth. Remake new footings with possibly a tilt to project bass upwards.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3093.jpg
    IMG_3093.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3088.jpg
    IMG_3088.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 17
Oracle III

I also worked at a TEAM Electronics store in the late 70's (Cedar Rapids, Iowa). I remember the Oracle line very well. True it was a house brand, but it was built to an unusually high standard for that sort of thing. The engineer who was the primary designer was a fellow named Jim West, (as best I can recollect- it was 32 years ago). I believe he came from Altec. He actually visited our strore and was very engaging. Jim told us he was trying to emulate the DQ-10 in sound (makes a lot of sense if you look at the design). Oracles, especially the II & III, were quite good. The IV was a too bassy for my taste. We also sold bigger Tannoys (Arden & Berkeley), Altecs (Model 14), Bose (901, etc), and a variety of long gone brands. The electronics and sources were very much midfi solid state (Sansui G-3000, AU 717, 919, big Kenwoods/Pioneers) With that in mind, I couldn't stand the 901s, the Altecs were super dynamic/fun, and the Tannoys imaged well. The Oracle III was heavily built with a smooth,open sound and good bass response-a very competive design. Other Atlantis products were more typical of house brands- their ADS style minimonitor was a joke compared to something like a Visonik David. My tastes have changed over the years, as well as my memory, but these are my recollections.
Cedar Rapids, you're not too far away! I live in Galena and have a pair of Oracle III's I love! Just restored a 1979 PIONEER 1080 to run them and the sound is clean and pure!!!
 

Attachments

  • FB_IMG_1768877984145.jpg
    FB_IMG_1768877984145.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 4
Oracles III

The Oracle III is a Private label speaker that was made for Team Electronics, a Midwest Retail Electronics Company. I managed the Iowa City, Iowa location for Team. They were designed by an engineer employed by Team, but I have forgotten his name now. They were designed to emulate an esoteric British speaker line called the "Quad". They were manufactured by a company called Becker Industries in New York State. The open placement of the drivers on the top of the box was to eliminate the "baffle" effect common in the speakers of the day. It opened the sound beautifully. The bass was a passive radiator (one active one passive cone). They were far and away the best Private label speaker ever sold by Team. The line also included the I, II, and IV. The only down sides were their size and they needed at least 75 watts per channel to drive them cleanly. Other cheaper speakers Team sold were made by Winona Industries in Minnesota but don't confuse those with these. Also there is a little device on the top of the cabinet called an Auto-stat, which will open and shut off the speaker if they are being over drivien. (Looks like a clear Christmas tree light). If this shuts them down too often, you can jump the connection to solve that problem. Put a 100 watts behind them and let em fly they are very very clean and well balanced.

Brian D
Cedar Rapids, you're not too far away! I live in Galena and have a pair of Oracle III's I love! Just restored a 1979 PIONEER 1080 to run them and the sound is clean and pure!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom