• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-111 vs. 1000A

Duffinator

Spin The Black Circle
It's time I learned a little about Sansui tubes. How do these two compare sonically? I know one is an integrated and the other a receiver but do they have anything in common? Weren't they designed about the same time? And are there any sonic differences between an early and late model AU-111 from the late 60's and early 70's?

There's a AU-111 on ebay local to me but it has gotten close to what I was willing to spend. It looks like our friends in Asia will end up with this one.
 
Register to hide this ad
Dang it... 5 years of private college in Boston.


Private college in Boston must be pretty reasonably priced. Where the bidding is at for the AU-111 right now wouldn't have paid for 5 years of the parking fees I had to pay at USC. Still its getting up there.
 
Private college in Boston must be pretty reasonably priced. Where the bidding is at for the AU-111 right now wouldn't have paid for 5 years of the parking fees I had to pay at USC. Still its getting up there.

That is one year's worth of textbooks.

One of these day I get my hands on a AU-111!
 
College aside, can anyone share their experience with either of these units and especially the AU-111?
 
Duff, that one is up to $1,325 now.
Im watching it and have communicated with the seller a few times. It's local to me so I'll save $40. :thmbsp: I'm willing to go higher but not much more. It's an early model and pretty rare and should hold it's value. There is a competent tube tech/junkie just a few miles from my home that would have this amp back to factory specs or better in short order. But don't worry it will be beyond what I'm willing to pay soon. :tears:

Anyone ever owned one and can comment on how it sounds? And better yet compare it to a 1000A?
 
Can you go check it out?
I asked and he conveniently stated he was heading out of town for a week and would be unavailable. But he said local pick up is fine. He's a couple of miles from my office. I think final bidding will probably double the current price.
 
College aside, can anyone share their experience with either of these units and especially the AU-111?

Never heard an AU-111, but I have a restored 1000A. Compared to my restored Fisher X-202-C and 400, the Sansui has a better top end, but sounds tinny without the presence switch engaged. Engaged, I preferred the sound of the Sansui to either Fisher. The 1000A also has an incredible tuner when aligned properly, easily beats my TU-717 as far as pulling in stations. And the 717 has been aligned.

But I listen to a set of Dared Vp-20's with an Van Alstine Pat 5, this is a much more revealing, and better sounding setup than the 1000A. Since I've found the combination of tubes I like (Winged "C" 6L6GC, Sovtex 12AX7LPS, RCA 12AU7 clear tops), I have no desire to use the Sansui any longer. It's out in the shop powering my Foxtex based double horn prototypes.

About all of the insight I can provide, and you may not agree.

Chas
 
I'm afraid most of us can only dream about owning or even hearing an AU-111. :tears: I would have loved to hear an owner's impression, especially if they could compare it with other tubed Sansui. :yes:
 
I asked and he conveniently stated he was heading out of town for a week and would be unavailable. But he said local pick up is fine. He's a couple of miles from my office. I think final bidding will probably double the current price.

Double current price?:scratch2: That's solidly into new (used) McIntosh range. Is it the rarity, the sound, WHAT???:scratch2::scratch2::scratch2:
 
Why is it so hard to believe that the AU-111 can command "MacIntosh" prices?

(this is how flame wars get started)

Even aside from any questions about sound reproduction (which will always have an aspect of subjectiveness that can NEVER be settled in a forum thread), the Sansui AU-111 is widely recognized as a high-quality tube amp that is exceedingly rare (in good operating condition). In addition, there is enough transaction/pricing history on the AU-111 to give Duffinator a sense of what he thinks the unit will go for...we will all obviously see what happens at the end of the auction. To be sure, it only takes one bidder who treats this AU-111 as a "must have" (for whatever reason) to drive the price up...

As somebody who owns a few vintage Gibson electric guitars (including a '56 Goldtop and a '59 LP Jr.), the market value of a rare item like this (like a Sansui AU-111 in good operating shape) is not solely a function of the sound it creates...but if it sounds like dogmeat, it probably does not achieve the level of desirability that goes with premium pricing. While I have a pretty good Sansui rig (an EW-modified AU-919 and Punker X-modified TU-919), I do moderately lust after a classic tube Sansui amp.

Someday...
 
Last edited:
Sorry Duff..

I've only listened to the 1000A, and I took mine apart to use the outputs for a DIY amp..
(good outputs but all the rest of the circuitry was of no use to me)

---------

Just going by the 2 designs, the AU-111 would have me thinking it would trounce a 1000A.
(judging on technical merit alone)
 
The AU-111 would sure make a very nice birthday present. :)
It would, although an expensive one. But hey I'm worth it. Actually I did that last year when I purchased a BA-2000 and TU-9900. Might as well keep my streak alive.

Anyone here ever owned an AU-111? Stene? Anyone???
 
I bought my AU-111 in Saigon (RVN) in '68 or '69 and still have it, although it's been unused since '86 or so ( needs power supply caps, just haven't gotten around to doing it ). I originally had it mated with a set of Pioneer CS-88 speakers and it sounded really really nice. Classic warm Sansui mellow tube sound. With those speakers the
sound was best described as vivid mid to highs ( I've heard others describe them as "reasonably transparent, not overly warm" ), with nice tight but powerful and not boomy low end. If you lean towards jazz, blues, string instrumentals and well done vocals you'll love the sound of the amp. All really depends on source, speakers and room environment though. And YOUR ears. If you're a Coltrane fan with an ear you will find the sound very much to your liking. After writing this and remembering the sounds, I am thinking it may be time to dig the old girl out of storage and spend some time with her.
 
Back
Top Bottom