• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-111 vs. 1000A

sansui au-111

hello everyone!

i'm owner of a sansui au-111 in very good condition and the sound is okay, but not better than my old mcintosh mc-225 and leben CS-600! it have been into fully service, and got all nos mullard tubes inside, and new capacitors!
 
I'm sure you've seen this from TBoS:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...oYCTBw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image

It seems the company put a lot of stake in the AU-111 and it helped put them on the map.

The 1st gen was the rarest so the one being auctioned will surely gain value as the years go by.

I think it would be magic with your speakers, but you give up the use of the remote control:D

Can it be separated so you could run your bigger power amp if so inclined?
 
I think it would be magic with your speakers, but you give up the use of the remote control:D

Can it be separated so you could run your bigger power amp if so inclined?
Actually I was thinking of going the other way, just use it as an amp. But it's already gotten to the point of how much I'd spend on it. :tears:
 
I'm a big Sansui fan, and have own a lot of their stuff. But you can buy three sets of Dared VP-20's for that price, and the one's I have murders my 1000A.

But you will need a pre.

Chas
 
I have two Sansui 1000A and in my opinion they sound fantastic. Very well built and no cheap short cut here.:no:

As far as the sound goes, I think there are many factors that make the difference.

Number one is the speakers that you are using. I found out that these love high efficiency and prefferably horn loaded speakers. I was running mine with Sansui Sp 3200 and Sp 2700 which have 2 ambience horns on top of the speaker. While many think that sansui speakers are kabuki, I would say that these are an exception. There are not loaded with drivers like some others. I found out that 1000A is exceptionally good at reproducing acoustic insturuments especially the guitar. Very solid base too. You could listen to this amp all day and simply enjoy it. Offcourse all the specs should be set right by the tech.

I also think the tubes that are used make a difference in sound as well. I had nice new EH tube put instead of the old ones and man what a difference. Also nice GE preamp tubes 12ax7 sound fantastic. (NOS) I also replaced the driver tubes 6AN8 and nothing short of amazing.

I wouldn't get to hiped up about the Au 111 even thoug I am sure it is a nice tube amp. I think a well serviced Sansui 1000A, especially the latest version with 4 bias pots will sound absolutely amazing with the best tubes possible. I would like to maybe some day use telefunken tubes for preamp and driver tubes.

Sansui 1000A has more features than the au 111, like someone mentioned the tunner is simply amazing in this model. The radio sure sounds a whole lot different on a tube amp compared to solid state.

I think once you grow to love a sertain sound, wheter its a tube or solid state unit, you teld to judge everything else by it, forgetting all the variable mentioned many times by fellow Akers.

Different is not necessarily better but not worse either. Thanks for reading my lengthy opinion. Sansui 1000A looks like a classic mustang and performs wonderfully when all factors have been taken cared of. :music::yes:

Good luck with the hunt for the Au 111. :yes:
 
I know this thread is dog years old, but thought I would respond anyway. I have owned an Au-111 for a number of year and have had a chance to listen to it on a fairly wide range of speakers. It is well designed, built like a tank and sound very, very good. The au-111 compares very favorably to the Luxman 3045's and the 3045's are sonically identical to the Marantz 9B's to most people that have had a chance to listen to them side by side. The AU-111 is my main amp/preamp package for listening to music on my RCA LC-9A's. It also does a wondeful job driving the Crosby modified Quad ESL-63's I have. In my opionion, a clean example is worth every penny they are bringing on ebay, and more! A properly working 1000A is a great receiver, but it doesn't have the punch, smoothness and detail of a AU-111. The AU-111 is also stunning in appearance for those of us that like the classic black vintage Sansui look.
 
i have just acquired an AU111 :)
Previous owner had done a few mods the most significant of which is bypassing all the tone controls and filters, loudness and precnece switches, even the balance control and 'tape rec out'!
I plan to get all these bits reconnected but i tell u what, this amp sounds magical.
It has some ancient black military 6L6 power tubes - i havent changed anything.
Have just been enjoying its warm yet very dynamic sound.
Build quality is amazing, and its a beast
 
Back
Top Bottom