• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-20000 users...

Great link, Kale, thanks I might find something I need also. Seems rare to see these amps being parted out.

I hope you all saw the change to my post concerning Sansui manuals. This is the correct site for obtaining them: http://www.obsinc.us/Dep_VOVS_Literatures.htm

FX, the filters do just that: filter unwanted noise. The high filter helps do away with hiss in the high frequency ranges, tape noise, etc.. The low filters can help control overwhelming low frequencies (radio signals, etc..). I rarely use them, as all Tone & Filter controls interfere with the signal path and true audiophile reproduction, regardless the make or model.

As for what gear I use regularly, mostly a CA-2000 and two BA-2000's. Am using another CA-2000 to drive the amplifier section of the AU-20000 and another BA-2000 together bi-amplifying speakers in my other system. Maybe tomorrow I will change around. Just received a AU-9500 today, bought off eBay. I want to test this amp after hearing so much good about it. The AU-11000's and AU-9900 are very fine, but do not get much use lately. I enjoy preserving this great Sansui gear.

I hope you can get good enjoyment from your AU-20000. :banana:

Matt
 
Hi Matt, just curious, how does AU-20000 sound as compared to AU-11000 & AU-9900 in terms of bass & treble ? In your opinion, which sounds "better" ?
I feel that AU-20000 bass is not so "powerful" as compared to another receiver (lower power wattage) when tested with same speaker, but the sound is more "clean"..
 
FX, in my opinion, the 3 amps have the same sound, and the AU-20000 has enormous power, and yes, are "clean". Not to be compared with a receiver, especially a small maxed out unit.

If you truly want to hear what these amps are capable of, you must have the right speakers. Lots of choices there, too many for me to say what will fit your ears. But you can be damn sure that if there is a problem with the sound, it is the speakers, not the amplifiers (if to spec). No receiver can compare IMHO.

I recommend you search and read, not only AK, but the entire web. There is great info, enough for you to be able to do much maintenance and diagnosing yourself.

Carefully choose your speakers, be sure they can handle the power, then use it -- crank it up, that's what these were made for. If you want to listen to something quieter, look into the smaller amps and speakers. It's a critical relationship.

Good luck, Matt :thmbsp:

Oh, Kale, I noticed the items you linked to are only available in Germany, that's a bummer. I have seen audio units auctioned off piece by piece, though, not sure how that works.
 
i'm using my AU-20000 with Dahlquist Dq-12 or Kirksaeter Prisma300 speakers.I would agree:i missed bass with this amp.With small Sanyo DCA411 those speakers sounds more "powerful" in low's
 
richka said:
i'm using my AU-20000 with Dahlquist Dq-12 or Kirksaeter Prisma300 speakers.I would agree:i missed bass with this amp.With small Sanyo DCA411 those speakers sounds more "powerful" in low's
I think "matching" is the key factor that determines the type of sound produced. I tested using Musical Fidelity A300 integrated Amp. to drive Castle Howard & Altec Lansing Santana II, the sound produced was something like lack of bass & highs. But when they were driven by Marantz PM-64II, AU-101, the sound was more "powerful..."
 
Yes, now that I think about it, I remember feeling disappointed that the 9900 - 20000 amps have more pronounced middle and high frequencies than my CA/BA-2000 separates.
 
SuiDog said:
Oh, Kale, I noticed the items you linked to are only available in Germany, that's a bummer. I have seen audio units auctioned off piece by piece, though, not sure how that works.

Hi SuiDog,

I bought the service-manuals for my BA+CA 2000 from this ebayseller. He told me that the items are unused. He stored it for a friend only for replacement in case of a deffekt of his gear. It seems he is a correct man. no problems with him. You can ask him, for shipping overseas. If it´s not possible, I can help you. You can ask him, whether it´s possible to send the stuff to me and I´ll send the items to you.

Sascha, from germany
 
Sascha, Comrade, Howdy! :wave:

I'll bet your CA/BA-2000 match is rare in Germany. In my most humble opinion, I have not heard a better sounding amplification unit... not that I've heard everything.

Anyways, thanks for your offer to ship for me, I'll do same for you. I live on the West Coast, so double-checking packing before such a long journey is good idea, either direction. :yes:

I would love to find a TOTL Dual CS-TT. Had a CS-626 back in '78, with an Otorfon cartridge, sounded exquisite. Would like the 704, but only if it has controls on the outside face. I have been afraid to watch eBay except for the 626 for fear I might pay too much for something I don't really need (maybe :scratch2: ??).

Maybe you have read in my previous posts that I was stationed in Germany in the Army from 77-80 (check out my pics). The best/worst funnest/most difficult days of my last few teenage years. Great memories... and no, I wasn't one of those "Crazy GI's" -- my folks taught me better than that! :nono:

I will send you a PM later.

Matt
 
SuiDog said:
Yes, now that I think about it, I remember feeling disappointed that the 9900 - 20000 amps have more pronounced middle and high frequencies than my CA/BA-2000 separates.
Read some threads on power cord modification. Is AU-20000 suitable for this modification by replacing existing 2 pin power cord to 3 pin IEC socket (to accept more higher grade power cord)? Will this really improve its sound ??
 
FX66 said:
Read some threads on power cord modification. Is AU-20000 suitable for this modification by replacing existing 2 pin power cord to 3 pin IEC socket (to accept more higher grade power cord)? Will this really improve its sound ??
FX, I'm sorry to only just now answer, but no, from what I was told here on AK when asking the same question, the IEC socket won't improve sound but will make for one more connection to be concerned with. It was recommended that, if anything, replacing the standard power cord with heavier gauge is adequate. But I haven't read all the threads about it.
 
Oh, just noticed that the 2 "U" or "C" shape metal piece which suppose to connect "Pre" & "Main" RCA jack were missing. What is the use of these ? Will this cause any problem to the amplifier when it is running without these 2 pieces connected ?
 
Back
Top Bottom