• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

AU-999 Mystery components and power switch quesions

Are you sure you have the subsonic filter block removed correctly?
But even then, that is only the beginning of the journey to make the AU999 a great performer.
I highly recommend you do the pre-amp modification. It brings the whole sound of the amplifier into another level of performance. You can read at the end of the thread a few guys did it and love it....
Check the thread here..
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-466545.html




A re-cap may help a little, it is hard to say without knowing how bad the caps in the amplifier are.

The tone controls are a bit **** on these amplifiers, especially the bass control.
The "centre frequency" for the bass control regardless of whether you have 200hz or 400hz selected, is 20hz.
This means that 20hz is boosted 12db when the bass is set to maximum.
The 200hz and 400hz is determined by a resistor which controls the width of the boost/cut from the 20hz centre frequency, and if I remember correctly, the boost of 200hz when the control is set to maximum is only +6db.
But because this control is a Shelving filter, the frequency goes from 200>20hz or 400>20hz depending on which is selected.
The slope is too gradual, you cannot get enough of the "right bass" before you have the unwanted frequencies coming through.
This tone control (bass) is actually pretty much useless in my opinion.

I have modified mine, I have made the "slope" a lot steeper than factory, and increased the response.
I get +12db at 100hz now if I want it, which is a much more useable area of bass....
The slope is a lot more steep, more like what you would find on a professional mixing console, which is what I am used to.
I will post some pictures of which resistors to change, and the values of resistors to do this.
But you will need to modify the preamp as in my other thread, otherwise the pre-amp will not have enough headroom to handle this mod....
I may be able to do this over the next few days.....
There is 4 resistors to change to do this, it will take about 10 mins..

I can tell you, that this mod is brilliant, you will have all the bass you want, and more......

Hopefully you can understand my English enough to get the idea.....

I will post this in a new thread...

Kevin, glad to hear you got the bass mod going. I anxiously wait to see the new thread. :banana:

George.
 
Are you sure you have the subsonic filter block removed correctly?

I think yes. I've cutted the two blue wire of each channel and connected togheter. nothing else.

I highly recommend you do the pre-amp modification.

Yes, I've read it and I'll do it..

The tone controls are a bit **** on these amplifiers, especially the bass control.
The "centre frequency" for the bass control regardless of whether you have 200hz or 400hz selected, is 20hz................................

Ahhhhhh. Now I understand how it works! It' a news for me

I have modified mine, I have made the "slope" a lot steeper than factory, and increased the response...............
I can tell you, that this mod is brilliant, you will have all the bass you want, and more......

Great mod! I can think of make also this mod, after the pre-amp mod.

Hopefully you can understand my English enough to get the idea.....

Yes... at 99% THANKS!

Few questions again..
1. I have to recap all or there are some caps that are not so important
2. I will have some benefits increasing the capacity of the two main caps? (up to 6800uf or more, keeping 50v)
3. there is the risk that all of those mods can modify the original sound in terms of warmess and personality, bringing it towards to more modern ampli?

many thanks again!
ciao
Rug
 
Few questions again..
1. I have to recap all or there are some caps that are not so important
2. I will have some benefits increasing the capacity of the two main caps? (up to 6800uf or more, keeping 50v)
3. there is the risk that all of those mods can modify the original sound in terms of warmess and personality, bringing it towards to more modern ampli?

many thanks again!
ciao
Rug

1. If you are going to re-cap it, you might as well do the whole thing while you are in there.

2. I have BHC 80V 10,000µf caps in mine, I also put a bigger bridge rectifier in mine to handle the start up "in-rush" current.

3. No, mine has all new caps, new bridge rectifier, all new transistors, and its sounds great!!

you cant change the basic sound of the amplifier, the design is what makes the sound, not the specific components....
 
1. If you are going to re-cap it, you might as well do the whole thing while you are in there.

2. I have BHC 80V 10,000µf caps in mine, I also put a bigger bridge rectifier in mine to handle the start up "in-rush" current.

3. No, mine has all new caps, new bridge rectifier, all new transistors, and its sounds great!!

you cant change the basic sound of the amplifier, the design is what makes the sound, not the specific components....

Okkk!!
great!

Rug
 
I have finished recapping, all transistors, this mod, the headroom mod, the larger main caps, and rectifier. I have a bright bulb on my tester, so am going through and found some waste in haste mistakes.
I am just wondering on this mod if I remove the board altogether, was it correct to connect the shield wires together? before they were together, but were then going to ground from the board anchor screw. Now as it is they are not going to ground. I am excited to be this far, and am going to be patient so as not to see that magic smoke.
 
I'M so Happy

Little story about my Sansui AU 999. When I was a kid, I had the chance to have pretty good sound system at home and a great vinyl collection. the passion had hit me again 5 years ago, when a saw for the first time a Sansui AU 6900.I bougth the baby and it sounded great. than I started to buy and to listen to other brand; Marantz, luxman, akai, sanyo, etc...so I became a great fan of Sansui brand. I felled in love with the Sansui AU 999 and After 1 year I finaly got a great deal for the Sansui AU 999 and TU 999, 400$. The tuner still add the plastic film on hit. They were in great shape. Probably not the same years of production because the tuner has the gold front on the pots rather than black and the face plate of the AU 999 has a purple reflect in the black.

In the second part of my little story you're going to understand wy I'M SO HAPPY.
SO I bring back my Sansui duo home, I was very excited. Put the beast on small speaker to test, ok to go on the HPM 60. Call my girlfriend to come for a sound check:yes:
After 5 min. She tell's me {Hum I think I like more the AU 6900} I was thinking exactly the same, but I didn't tell her. I was disappointed:sigh:I said to my self, I have to run the thing couple of days.
I've decided to make a music listenning test with couples of friends and 6 different amp and guest what! My super Sansui AU 999 was last:tears:
So I started reading more and more on the 999, then I decided to bring it to a Passion audio friend to recap-it. It did change the sound for better but still no BAssssssssss! and squeezed. I was strating to think that it was the colour of that amp, is personality. I said to my self I can't change the amp but I can change the speakers, soI found a nice pair of Celestion Ditton 44. Restore them, new crossover, new cables plug, new cables, new solder. Finded the right spot to bring out the bass in my music room but still, was not the Nirvana:dammit: I have a pair of B&W dm100 on the AU 999 to.

I still have 5 system and the one that I love the most is my Sansui AU 999 but that's not the one, who sound better. I decided to take it as it is and forget about the Bass. It's a difficult thing to do.

And than, three weeks ago, my friend who recaped my Sansui sent me the lynk for your thread. I was so so happy, it was Christmas:D
I read the thread on the subsonic filter and said to my gilfriend that there was finally a solution for the bass, so I open the amp all excited and:sigh: nothing there, no filter in that amp!
Came back to the article and found the Mod of MR Kevzep:lmao: I'm waithing for the resistors, should be in next week to do the mod. I will keep you in touch.
Thank you so much to all of you.

I'M SO HAPPY

sorry for my english writing. It's not my first language.

Jpdspin.:thmbsp:
 
Last edited:
@ DCinDC
Thank you.

I forgot to ask about the speakers protection bord in the Sansui. I don't remember where i saw, that it is a good thing to pull it out. So if anyone could give me the link or info on how and why.

Jpdspin.
 
@ DCinDC
Thank you.

I forgot to ask about the speakers protection bord in the Sansui. I don't remember where i saw, that it is a good thing to pull it out. So if anyone could give me the link or info on how and why.

Jpdspin.

The reason why a lot of us have decided to remove it is because if it detects a short, it will short out the amp, and blow the fuses. This could cause more than just blown fuses. It could wreck transistors and such. It has no affect on sound.
 
Well you're right, it happen to me once. I had my Sansui au999 and my 6900 on an amp spliter. By mistake I've push the wrong button and blew the 999 and the 6900 was ok.
That was before the restauration on the 999.
I'm not a pro DIY so if someone know a article or a link on how to remove the speackers protection bord and what part number, it would be nice. I have the manuel but i'm not sure wich part it is.
Thank you.
I blew my amp once,I don't want to do it again.

Jpdspin.
 
In the Manuel, I have the ref: F:1334 SP protector Bloc. Should be it. that's what they call the Crowbar if I refer to Tobyj17 and GeoKost picture« Kicking off my AU-999 Project»

I've found where I did saw the infos. It was in the same post.
Sorry for that.

Quote: DCinDC

yep

just remove the board and cut the ground (black) and speaker wires (blue and grey

And Quote: Tobyj17

Hey Mike,
To remove the crowbar just snip the three wires off if it. BUT, when you do, snip them back by the fuse sockets instead of the board. This way you don't have wires going to nothing, waiting to short out on something.

I will remove the protectiom board at the same tim that i do the KevZep Mod, When I will receive my resistors.

Jpdspin.
 
I am working on a different AU-999 now. It is weak on the right channel.

Turns out the subsonic filter, the 'Mystery Components' referenced in the title of this thread are the problem.

It was challenging to find this while troubleshooting because it wasn't the preamp, and it wasn't the power amp.

Rather than bother to fix it, I jumpered them out. This is easy to do by shorting together the tag board terminals that have the two inner conductors of the coax leads on them.

Earlier (or later, I haven't figured out which circuit is newer) production models of the AU-999 did not have this Subsonic filter block, so I don't feel bad about eliminating it.

This is now on my "do this to every AU-999 amp I see" list.

This is very interesting. I always learn something from DCs posts.
 
attachment.php


The bottom link on the AU-999 page gives the better (cleaner) schematic.
 
Last edited:
darn....I just opened mine up to start doing these mods, and it doesn't appear to have the subsonic filter!!


I guess I shouldn't be disappointed, less work.

999_nosubsonic.jpg
 
just consulted the serial # database, appears to be November 1972

I will add it to the database, it's not in there yet
 
ah....well I guess one could figure out when they stopped using it, by referencing that serial # database

they started building/selling the AU 9500 only a few months later, I would assume they were doing R&D on the 999 & and carried over the improvements to the new model. Which, from what I understand, is a similar amp but with some adjustments

what is the month of your build?
 
Back
Top Bottom