• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audio Technicas Anniversary turntable - what ye say?

Ive been running an HT-460 (1977) since 1987. Paid $100. 0.028 % W&F, -78 dB DIN B noise. Cleaned and relubed the spindle bearing. They run about $300 today. Full auto, or manual, DD. Great table! Not recapped. There are choices, you know. $1200 for this AT? Goes against my sense of reason.

Sure! But my point is that the European TTs should also do that - and many don't see it like that!

Well, IMHO, YMMV, you do you, if you love the european TTs ! :D

v
 
Regarding AT quality control. I don't know... Looking around in audio forums I see many happy AT users. And I also threads about new Technics units with issues like wonky armlifts and wobbly platters.
 
Regarding AT quality control. I don't know... Looking around in audio forums I see many happy AT users. And I also threads about new Technics units with issues like wonky armlifts and wobbly platters.

Quality control is not AT. Quality control is AT for their cartridges. AT turntables is simply AT label on crap. But if about Technics "wonky armlifts and wobbly platters" I have never heard about this and believe this is possible only if mechanically damaged. Anyway, all Technics tables have warranty and it is nearly impossible good working lifts or platters wear out with time, so if there is defect it should be from beginning and goes under warranty.
 
I like the way it looks but I think they missed the mark.
They should have specced it out at like the $3k+ area and gone after that market. It is after all, an anniversary model.
Maybe even higher like the cart. It the TT was like $5000 maybe it would be something I would aspire to!
Yes, maybe you're right.
The other hifi products they launched for their 60th year anniversary is a $9k non plus ultra cartridge, and like an $9k and $2.7k pair of headphones (and a sound burger).
So really very high end high cost products. This turntable falls a bit out of that idea.
So I think they're bound by the technical capabilities of their (asian) subcontractors. If they had an anniversairy model made by Clearaudio/Transrotor/VPI/something similar, they could have had pretty much anything they wanted as long as they pay.
I think that comparing the turntable against that cartridge and those headphones, it also tells that AT's real expertise lies with making cartridges and headphones, not turntables.
 
. . . Marketing stunt or could this be the high(ish) end TT from AT we have been waited for?
I don't know how it sounds, of course, but I find it extremely unattractive, and I know from my Well Tempered experience that I just don't like a belt going around the outside of the platter (I much prefer a belt going around a subplatter and not exposed to either view or fingers).
 
It's not completely unfortunate looking. In fact, I kind of like it. But, if I were to buy an AT deck, I'd rather have the LP7.

EDIT: Specs are great for comparison, but tell you little about real-world performance, and absolutely nothing about how it's going to sound in YOUR room, with YOUR gear, and to YOUR ears.
 
Last edited:
Specs are great for comparison, but tell you little about real-world performance, and absolutely nothing about how it's going to sound in YOUR room, with YOUR gear, and to YOUR ears.
Are you saying that if it wobbles in one room, it may not wobble in another? Right.
 
Are you saying that if it wobbles in one room, it may not wobble in another? Right.

Nope. I'm saying that MOST people who buy this table won't be serious audiophiles using it for hours-long critical listening sessions, but rather, ordinary folks who simply want to enjoy their 'vinyls' on something that looks a little different.
 
I like the way it looks but I think they missed the mark.
They should have specced it out at like the $3k+ area and gone after that market. It is after all, an anniversary model.
Maybe even higher like the cart. It the TT was like $5000 maybe it would be something I would aspire to!

The fact that it's priced the way it is tells me it's typical AT fodder; made for the entry-mid level user. Not quite prosumer.
I used to play with their stuff when I was into headphones. NIce cans, but the electronics like head phone amps were pretty much junk.

Interesting that they make higher end carts now, but prefer to stay in the lower level market for TTs and phono amps. I mean they must have the tech?
Maybe their domestic market is different.

You seem to be forgetting the mindset behind the VM95. There are plenty of makers of high-end boutique audio stuff. Very few makers of competent audio at the bottom end of the range. But a bottom feeder with a jacked-up price doesn’t fit AT. That would be like AT raising the price of the VM95C to $500 and up…
 
This is crap. If you want new table, there is only one brand left - Technics. All other is chinese crap (not because all chinese made is crap - I found their tantal capacitors are very good, but because all of this crap is made in PRC).
So, need good table, buy this:

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/technics-sl-1500c

P.S. Of course there are Clearaudio and other crap like this what are made to make impression on girls :)

How do you “know” this isn’t made in China also? Or Hanpin or CEC?

Not a fan of Technics, personally.
 
It's not completely unfortunate looking. In fact, I kind of like it. But, if I were to buy an AT deck, I'd rather have the LP7.

EDIT: Specs are great for comparison, but tell you little about real-world performance, and absolutely nothing about how it's going to sound in YOUR room, with YOUR gear, and to YOUR ears.

Honest specs actually tell a great deal about a TT, or cartridge, or phono pre, or integrated, or amp, or speakers. You have to know how to read them. And, know which specs gird a worthwhile product. And, know a company’s reputation for honest specs.
 
Live by the numbers, die by the numbers....

Let's look at the specs for the following european made ~$1200 turntables

https://pro-jectusa.com/product/debut-pro-s-turntable/
https://pro-jectusa.com/product/x1-b-turntable/

Now let's look at the specs for the following $500 turntable

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/turntables/best-for/step-up-models/at-lpw50pb

Very similar aren't they? Down to the ~0.15% W&F - in fact the Pro S is ~0.16%. So the european turntables are overpriced. Now, the AT LP2022 adds an acrylic platter, different plinth (assume better - will see) and takes out the internal phono preamp. Guess what now in specs, price and build, they are very similar. Your choice is your choice, of course. BUT the vitriol here I see is nothing but ugly prejudice from people that don't own them.

I own two, and also, had bad experiences with Pro-Ject and Rega. Might be my own bad luck and of course YMMV. But at least I have direct experience and not talking about TTs I don't own or tried.

Again, ugly prejudice.

v
 
Nope. I'm saying that MOST people who buy this table won't be serious audiophiles using it for hours-long critical listening sessions, but rather, ordinary folks who simply want to enjoy their 'vinyls' on something that looks a little different.

Elitist prejudice. The sure sign of someone that doesn't know is that they do the easy thing - spend a lot so there is a chance the product is good. Those who know, get 90% of the performance for 10% of the price.

v
 
How do you “know” this isn’t made in China also? Or Hanpin or CEC?

Not a fan of Technics, personally.

Read somewhere the Technics sl-100c and sl-1500 are NOT built in Japan in order to offer the lower price. Might be wrong as I can't find the reference, but it does make sense....

v
 
Read somewhere the Technics sl-100c and sl-1500 are NOT built in Japan in order to offer the lower price. Might be wrong as I can't find the reference, but it does make sense....

v

Reportedly they are made in Malaysia.
 
My first TT, 1981 belt drive. Paid $110. That was cheap then. NAD 5025 semi-auto. It was a great sounding table and came with an ADC XLM MKII Improved cartridge.

So now we’re discussing a $1200 table with the same specs as my first table when I was in college, 41 years ago.

6A515D64-33BF-4152-AFBF-1F5F4760DB6D.jpeg



994998C8-EE94-4453-9A9F-CFC1371ECC65.jpeg
 
So now we’re discussing a $1200 table with the same specs as my first table when I was in college, 41 years ago.
Actually, the new AT has worse W&F specs, as yours is 0.15% DIN peak, and the AT is 0.15% JIS WRMS, which translates into about 0.25-0.3% DIN, which is not good enough for a hi-fi turntable. The hi-fi cutoff is 0.2% DIN peak.
 
Last edited:
I bought an LP-120 about 8 years ago. Couldn't find a tech to restore my SL- 1600. Anyway, I paid 400 bucks (Canadian) for it and it has been used sparingly. A couple of years ago, it started rumbling like a beast. There are a bunch of tutorials on line to reduce motor noise in playback but it seems there is no way to lubricate the motor bearing... some say there is not even a motor bearing to lubricate.Like I say, it was gently used and it worked very well until it didn't. My 2 cents worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom