• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

audiophile: defining our terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtrent

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I orginally wrote what follows as a response in the current "Audiophile Quality"???? Really?? How so?? thread, but decided that, though related, it was too far off that thread's original topic and purpose.

Audiophile simply means a person how loves audio [sic]. . . For those who seek perfection in musical reproduction, an audio system should sound as close as possible to the source material. The listener must be able to perceive nuances such as instrument placement, detail, "air", sound stage, timbre and transparency. And absence of "colorations" or other artifacts and distortions is essential.

That's an interesting quote (Audiophilleo.com?). I can agree with the first statement, but find the list of "audiophile" attributes that follow it to be rather narrow. It's certainly one way to define good sound, but there are others. Here's a cut-and-paste comment of mine from another thread:

An interesting facet to this hobby is how different people can be in their sonic priorities. I've recently stumbled across reviews by Jeff Day of 6 Moons and appreciate how he distinguishes between "the non-musical sonic artifacts of the recording process like soundstaging, transparency, imaging and extreme detail recovery" and performance aspects that focus on the musical message, such as beat, rhythm, and melody. He mentions that components and systems that excel at the former often lose the latter. Martin Colloms in his much older article for Stereophile made a similar point in contrasting hi-fi goals with musical communication, "It's ironic that you can have an extended bandwidth, or high sound levels, or great stereo imaging, or very low coloration, or powerful, low-distortion bass, or several worthy combinations of these, yet rarely can you obtain these with a coherent, focused combination of natural dynamics, pace, and rhythm. In high-end audio, we are often too busy examining the texture of the bark to see what kind of forest we are walking in."

Not that there's anything wrong with enjoying soundstaging, transparency, etc., it's just that to focus on those aspects of performance, and define "audiophile" in those terms, excludes a lot of people who have different priorities in their playback needs.

Whenever I read from someone that component x really "blew away" component y, I want to know in what terms the poster is writing, what attributes he or she is listening for. The first system I heard that really "blew me away" was an LP12 with Basik Plus arm, Basik cartridge, the original Naim Nait integrated amp, and a pair of wall-mounted Linn Kan speakers. People listening for air, instrument placement, soundstaging, transparency, etc., would no doubt have been disappointed, but the little system really nailed beat, rhythm, and melody; it communicated to me in musical terms in a way I hadn't experienced before and was far more satisfying to listen to than systems many times its size and price.

When comparing products, I think we need to define what we hear. When someone opines that a particular vintage turntable is better than a new Rega RP1, I don't doubt them, I just want to know how. Does it have better rhythmic cohesion, are the melody and harmony lines easier to follow, do the instrumentalists sound like they're in better time with each other? I took a lot of ribbing last year when I replaced a pair of Vandersteen 1C's with Bose 301's. I have the greatest respect for Vandersteen, its products, customer support, etc., but in my system, my room, and to my ears, I found that the 301's strengths of extremely wide sweet spot, better timing and rhythmic cohesion, consistent tonal balance everywhere in the room, and dynamics were more important to me than the Vandersteens' more precise imaging, depth of soundstage, detail resolution, and frequency extension.

I think a lot of the disagreements people have over equipment will disappear, or at least be understandable, if we are clearer about what we're listening for.
 
Register to hide this ad
I hear the beat through a transistor radio. I think these guys who prattle on on about "PRAT" must dance like Elaine.

When I had a house I listened to horns and enjoyed big scale sound with robust tone and huge dynamics. I moved to a high rise, dehorned, bought stats and now enjoy the air and imaging thing. Either way I enjoy the music. I also enjoyed the music through a transistor radio.
 
Last edited:
Ever hear the term "What's redder, a fire truck?"
Basically means "What are you comparing this thing to?"

People posting that one component is better or worse than another without going into detail as to why is one of my pet peaves. I always try to say I prefer component X to component Y and here's why, this is what I heard. I try to include the context as well - System, room, music, what I like and don't like in general. I really wish more people would do the same.

Some people recommend restaurants based almost soley on the size of the portions. If they were to say "If you want a lot of bad food, go here" I would have saved myself some bad meals. Others would appreciate the larger portions. It's all about what you're looking for.

btw: Tom, who's Elaine?
 
If you're here because you want to put work and thought and whatever means you can spare into better sound then I would call you an audiophile. Also if you're always looking for ways to improve what you already have. There is no be all end all. It's a relentless and endless process of trial and error and minor tweaks here and there. I truly believe audiophiles are a larger gang of people than just the ones with thousands to spend. Writing off people with more limited means is rather silly. Either you're an audiophile or you aren't.

As far as what I listen for? I want to hear all of the details.
 
There are all kinds on defining characteristics. None of them matter in the slightest. Being an audiophile is about the "quest". For some that means new and expensive. For others it means vintage and frugal. For others it's anywhere between the two previous extremes. No matter, both extremes and the middle are on the same quest.

What's the quest? It's working toward the best sound you're personally satisfied with and willing to live with. Some are just starting the "Quest". For some it's a never ending journey. For some the journey has ended. For others (like me), we see the light at the end of the tunnel. We're all going in the same direction with slightly different routes and vehicles.
 
To say one is an audiophile convey's only that there is an interest at some level in sound reproduction.

Rather like saying one is a gastronome. It could mean you love those goumet 'tater chips at Wally World or that you're a graduate of Le Cordon Bleu.
 
For me the term "audiophile" has been made ambiguous and brings along a lot of baggage. I like to think of myself as an audio enthusiast, hi-fi nut and music lover.

I'm currently listening to a Norah Jones CD, played by my computer and delivered to AKG K27i portable headphones. I'm enjoying the experience. For some this disqualifies me from wearing the "audiophile" badge.
 
Wonder how many of us would consider this to be "audiophile"?

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/the-top-10-cars-for-audiophiles?icid=autos_1950&GT1=22009

I have aftermarket systems in my vehicles but consider my home systems to sound much better whether they would pass "audiophile" muster or not. And with road noise being a constant factor it's not the place where I go when I want to listen to toonz anyway. Not that any of these cars are affordable to me anyway - but I would be more likely to spend that "virtual extra cash" on home audio as opposed to sinking it into the ride

Ben
 
Last edited:
It was nailed when compared to the word "gourmet."

It's an enthusiast with an attitude.

I certainly like reading about products people love, and occasionally about products people hate.

It's entertainment. And filtered through time, informative.
 
There are all kinds on defining characteristics. None of them matter in the slightest. . . It's working toward the best sound you're personally satisfied with and willing to live with. . . We're all going in the same direction with slightly different routes and vehicles.

I would agree that the defining characteristics don't matter in the slightest with regard to respecting one another's choices, but I'd like to see people explain which characteristics they're hearing when they declare one product better than another, or when asking if component N will be an upgrade over their current product Z. For example, an SL1200 could be seen as either better or worse than a Rega Planar 3. I might say the Rega is better because its strengths in rhythm and pace are more important to me than the Technics's superiority in timing and speed stability; someone else could justifiably take the opposite point of view. It's in this way that I don't think we're all going in the same direction; no component or system does everything well, so we choose the performance characteristics most important to us, decide which we can compromise on, and buy components accordingly.

In the original post I quoted what is a fairly common assumption, that "audiophiles" are primarily interested in things like instrument placement, detail, air, sound stage, timbre and transparency. Well, there are some things on that list that some audiophiles might not care much about, and would replace them with things like beat, rhythm, and melody. Different directions, but equally valid.
 
To me, these days audiophile means equipment junkie where music takes a backseat to the components. I consider myself to be a music lover and only buy components that enable me to enjoy music. Audiophiles tend change stuff around several times a year whereas I'll probably only upgrade my pickup on my LP12 and my music collection and that's it. :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with the term audiophile; most dictionaries say something like, "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction." Well, that just means buying equipment that enables you to enjoy the music. I've mentioned this quote before, but Art Dudley, then writing for HiFi Heretic, said that hifi is simply a means of bringing music into your home, and that the goal should be to assemble a system you can keep and enjoy, and not be just another pastime you can dump cash into. I spent three years, from 1985 to 1988, saving for and slowly assembling a system that I had heard at a dealer's showroom. Once I got it, it remained virtually unchanged for the next 20 years (then pieces started to fail due to age and use). Just because I wasn't changing my system all the time didn't mean I had lost my enthusiasm for high fidelity sound, it just meant that, with the dealer's help, I had made choices I could be happy with long-term.
 
Last edited:
Audiophile: from Latin audio[1] "I hear" and Greek philos[2] "loving," is a hobbyist who seeks high-quality audio reproduction via the use of specialized high-end audio electronics.

Audiofile: MP3
 
Just because I wasn't changing my system all the time didn't mean I had lost my enthusiasm for high fidelity sound, it just meant that, with the dealer's help, I had made choices I could be happy with long-term.

But on the other hand just because I swap equipment in and out fairly often doesn't mean that I've lost my enthusiasm for music either. It just means (in my case) that part of the fun of the hobby is trying new things. I read a lot of posts on this forum that to me infer that if someone swaps gear around that somehow they can't be content, that they have some sort of neurosis and they're not happy, not enjoying the music.
 
The first and most important: Before one start to expound and blah, blah, submit oneself to an hearing exam from a physician or qualified medical tech and publish the result.
 
Last edited:
I read a lot of posts on this forum that to me infer that if someone swaps gear around that somehow they can't be content, that they have some sort of neurosis and they're not happy, not enjoying the music.

There's lots of ways to enjoy a hobby, and it gets back to respecting each other's choices. If part of the fun is trying new gear, that's great. If someone else always wants to be on the cutting edge, current with all the improvements, that's fine. But as gregswaim's earlier post points out, some people make the never-ending quest for better gear part of the definition of audiophile, as if being happy with what you have means you don't care about sound quality.

And some people make certain performance characteristics the defining qualities of "audiophile" sound. I opened by quoting one website's definition, "The listener must be able to perceive nuances such as instrument placement, detail, "air", sound stage, timbre and transparency." But I haven't found those things to contribute to my enjoyment of recorded music. What I've found I do need is pace, rhythm, dynamics, and pitch integrity (tunefulness). One poster a few months ago wrote that the things I don't really care much about are the very things he has gone to much effort and expense to achieve, and that's great, too. We can be respectful of each other's choices in this hobby, and more helpful to those seeking information/advice, by doing as you and he do, explaining why you like one product over another, why you've built your system this way instead of that way.
 
Last edited:
But on the other hand just because I swap equipment in and out fairly often doesn't mean that I've lost my enthusiasm for music either. It just means (in my case) that part of the fun of the hobby is trying new things. I read a lot of posts on this forum that to me infer that if someone swaps gear around that somehow they can't be content, that they have some sort of neurosis and they're not happy, not enjoying the music.

I do the same exact thing. I love most of my equipment. I have a EQ and bass enhancer I have used everyday since I bought them in the 80's. Receivers, amps and speakers change once a week. One week might be a Pioneer SX636 then the next a Kenwood KR9940 then maybe my Pioneer SA7700.....its is a never ending cycle.

I love the hobby. I have since I was born. Didnt know it was a hobby 40 years ago...but I know now. Many hobbies have come and gone...but this one has been permanent.

Do I consider myself a audiophile? No. Just someone who like to collect silver faced Pioneer and love to listen to music. No sense in making this all complicated.
 
This is easy. An audiophile is a pasty-skinned white guy, mid-thirties with a black BMW 3-series (or maybe an Audi), a trust fund and a father who will pull strings to get him out of trouble with the local authorities He treats his door man almost as poorly as he treats his girlfriend and has no idea (nor any interest in) what life is like for the waitstaff at the dinner club.

He's spent not quite $83k of his Grandfather's money on a system that he uses to listen to two CDs: Eva Cassiy's Songbird and Norah Jones' Come Away With Me (neither of which he really likes, but they sound soooo good!). Occasionally, when he's drank a bit too much Glenrothes Scotch and no one's around, he'll blast Survivor's Eye of the Tiger; sit on the edge of the couch with his eyes shut tight, forcefully pumping his first forward toward the plate-glass window overlooking The City. (That's some powerful sh!t they're layin' down there)

Mostly though, he uses it to watch John Travolta action movies

I thought we were all clear on this.

:D
 
Last edited:
This is easy. An audiophile is a pasty-skinned white guy, mid-thirties with a black BMW 3-series (or maybe an Audi), a trust fund and a father who will pull strings to get him out of trouble with the local authorities He treats his door man almost as poorly as he treats his girlfriend and has no idea (nor any interest in) what life is like for the waitstaff at the dinner club.

He's spent not quite $83k of his Grandfather's money on a system that he uses to listen to two CDs: Eva Cassiy's Songbird and Norah Jones' Come Away With Me (neither of which he really likes, but they sound soooo good!). Occasionally, when he's drank a lot of Scotch and no one's around, he'll blast REO Speedwagon's "Take it on the Run"; sit on the edge of the couch with his eyes shut tight, slowly pumping his first forward toward the plate-glass window overlooking The City. (That's some powerful sh!t they're layin' down there)

Mostly though, he uses it to watch John Travolta action movies

I thought we were all clear on this.

Please do not take the bait!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom