• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiophile Speaker Panel of unknown origin - All Polydax. SOLVED: Fuselier Model 9

Cool. Thanks javagerms. Kinda wish I had kept them now :\ ... actually wished I had kept them many times over the last couple of years!
 
what? you sold it? sorry to hear that. anyway, without your postings, I wouldn't buy them.
so thank you for your effort. attach the article from audio journal vol2, number 5, July 1981
 

Attachments

Yeah, I sold them a while back. They went to another AKer and then on to someone else. I did save them from the burn-pile at least.

It was a labor of love to restore them too.
 
the original owner told me that he had to replace the woofer on the base unit 8yrs ago. I plan to replace them close to the original specs.
I opened up the base unit, and the owner replaced with 4ohm woofer. I thought the specs should be 8 ohm.
do me a favor, since you have more experience, can you confirm should it be 4 or 8 ohms?
thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!
 
I didn't have the bass units - only the panels. To be honest, I don't remember anything about the impedance's either. It's been almost 4 years.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
 
Not as bad to get to as I thought it would be to remove the X-Over

Someone had a sense of maintainability during design of this thing at least.

I was dreading removing all the connectors around the edge to get the crossover removed. No need to - an engineer designed this! Remove the nuts on top and the entire board lifts off as a complete unit. Brilliant.

View attachment 567212

View attachment 567213

Here's the front...
View attachment 567214

Here's the back...
View attachment 567215

Here are several of my pitiful attempts at translating the board to a schematic
View attachment 567216

I will keep trying but I wonder if I will ever get it right?

I know it looks simple to those who know this sort of thing but I am struggling with it.
Looks like John Fuselier's work, and I think I remember him fooling with Audax drivers in a cofiguration like this upstairs at Fat Julian's Audio in the Prado Atlanta in 1980.
 
I have model 9 bass unit, however, the original owner changed the woofers with cheap GW (goldwood?) woofers (4 ohms).
plan to replace them with a pair of better woofers. i just need to know are they 4 ohms or 8 ohms woofers?
can anyone help? the original woofers were Audax HD24B45. but i couldnt find any info about this model.
thanks
 
Sorry I'm late to this but if you're still looking for info on that HD24B45 I would suggest you contact Madisound customer service.
They have the old Audax manuals and are usually ultra helpful. They looked up and sent me a couple of sheets I was looking for.
If you get it from them please post it here in case others need it.
 
Last edited:
Reverb, did you ever end up building your Linkwitz speakers?

That was one of the reasons you sold them if I recall!

They did sound good but for their size and the effort level of crossing them over, etc. etc. there were better options out there but cool factor was really high.
 
My other impression...they were either lush and beautiful for pure music with a crazy good sound stage or they were falling on their face with cluttered music - they just weren't quick. They were also I think almost 4 foot tall. The person that bought them was a dentist who was personal friends with John Fuselier and Fat Julian and was in their circle, it felt really good to close the loop like that. I can't think of a better story than for them to end back with someone that knew the builder personally.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom