• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Audiophiles please shoot me your advice because I'm not one (Vintage Audio) :D

AILJIOIE

ΠKA / ZO / ΓI
Ill try to make this quick.. haven't checked in a while. I'm starting to miss you
guys.

Just picked up a Mcintosh 1900, nothing too crazy... definitely the happiest kid right now.

Currently in a search for a nice turntable... I need your INPUTS PLEASE.

Also deciding to quit the audio game. I'm running my Mcintosh with L100 and feel like I need nothing more besides a gorgeous vintage turntable. With that said i'm contemplating selling off my stuff. Please put some sense in my head. I've been contemplating the past couple of days. I could use the money too.

Things I am planning to sell:

Acoustic Research AR 90 (minty)
JBL 4311 (excellent)
2x Bose Spatial receiver or a combination of the 550 and a spatial receiver
vintage B&O set beomaster 8000 s120 speakers with the casette deck and the matching credenza (needs work)... Selling tomorrow
Pioneer SX1250 (needs work)
Pioneer Qx949 (minty)
Cerwin Vega R24 (excellent)
Record Console (minty)

Selling those would leave me with...

2 sets of 901's, receiver, and the 360 turntable (Home Theater)
My Mac (serious listening)
L100 (serious listening)
Record console (nostalgia)

Dunno if i should keep the 1250 and the AR90 because it is a good combo but the 1250 needs work and i dont really want to fork up that much cash.This combination will have enough juice for my hip hop music which is a plus.

i dont know... WHAT DO U GUYS THINK?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Decent price

no more than 500 with the cartridge. The same level as the mac and the l100. nice but not excessive... willing to spend more really depends what peaks my interest... u guys know how it is
 
Last edited:
There are some awfully nice new TTs available for that amount of money.

Rega RP-1
Music Hall MMF-2.2LE
Thorens TD158
Project RPM 1.3

All include a cartridge.

All are available from The Needle Doctor.
 
Last edited:
Id start looking for a Thorens TT with a nice tone arm, maybe SME. I have been looking at a Thorens on CL for a week now, without the tone arm. I did some research tonight (along with knowledge earned in another post), and it looks like this might be a nice set up. TT 200.00 on CL Arm 400.00ish on scumbagbay, and im sure another buck or two to put it together. My current next step in regards to my TT.....My 2c maybe not good advice im not an expert, but thats the direction I am going.
 
What am i looking at with a vintage turntable. Is a vintage turntable even a good idea. I want something with character

What kind of stuff do u guys think i should keep
 
In my opinion (and again, I am newer to Vinyl) the older the better insofar as turn tables go maybe 1967ish to 1977ish. The height of the technology with great engineering. There are soooooo many factors that go into a turn table that I cant by any means be considered an expert, BUT common scene says if you buy the best you can afford, at the pinnacle of the formats popularity you most likely wont go wrong. Thorens makes turn tables today, I think their flag ship is somthing like $15,000.00, but if you look at the people on the board, they are still running the best of the best from the 70s
 
For a turntable you can get lots of very nice ones for under $500. Thorens TD126, TD125, TD160, TD165, TD145. You can get a nice Denon turntable, or a Luxman.
While you're selling stuff, dump the Bose 901's too.
 
If you are considering modern, the Project Carbon with the Ortofon red cart is a killer rig for $400.

Or if you want to make the trip to Indy there's a recently cleaned and tweaked Technics SL1500 for $80 with a decent Shure cart for $100.
 
For a turntable you can get lots of very nice ones for under $500. Thorens TD126, TD125, TD160, TD165, TD145. You can get a nice Denon turntable, or a Luxman.
While you're selling stuff, dump the Bose 901's too.

Denon DP-62L would be my choice. Beautiful, sounds great. You may need to be a little patient to find one under 500 but you should be able to.

As far as what you should sell.... everything that you don't use.
 
As to what to sell, I agree with everything you don't use. If you got gear that you swap in, then keep that. I would sell one pair of the Bose 901's and keep the other. Everything has a price as they say.
 
Its all about what makes you happy... I am happier with fewer pieces of gear that are good quality and all working than I am with lots of stuff that either isn't good or isn't properly functioning. If it were me, I would sell/trade/donate what you don't want or need and focus on what you will actually use.
 
I'd say that there are a few more questions that need to be asked and answered.

Do you want it to be automatic, or manual?

Can you work on it, or do you want a refurbished plug and play table?

What do you consider vintage, or classic? That's a personal thing. A Denon and a Technics were mentioned earlier. Fine tables that I would gladly own, but I don't look at them as having a classic look. To me, that look is found in AR, Thorens, top end Duals, Empires, etc.
 
Jumping to the conclusion that you like the AR 90's but needed the faulty amp for power (?) to drive them, I wonder if you might hang onto the speakers until you know you don't want to replace the amp later. Don't some people say those are pretty darn good top end speakers?
 
Back
Top Bottom