• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Autoformers vs. No Autoformers

worldwide

New Member
I've never owned any McIntosh products. I have listened to a McIntosh amp, perhaps 20 years ago, I think it was an MC7100. It was absolutely incredible!

The dealer compared it to several other amplifiers and the Mac was clearly superior. I've always remembered that impressive performance and thought that some day I would like to own a McIntosh amplifier.

Now that I can afford one, probably an integrated, I have a question about them.

What are the differences between autoformer/no-autoformer McIntosh amplifiers?

I'm not really familiar with autoformers or the advantage of them other than handling large Ohm swings? Is that correct?

Someone please enlighten me. If I buy a McIntosh amp without autoformers is it a true "McIntosh"?

Thanks very much.
 
Register to hide this ad
They appear to briefly swing down to 4 ohms, otherwise easy to drive. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't bridging channels.
 
If you can swing for the autoformer integrated, go for it! A direct coupled McIntosh amp is nice but so are dozens upon dozens of others out there. The autoformer amps stand above with velvety smooth sonic signatures. :music:

If there is one thing I learned from this forum from the last 3 years is that you buy once but buy right to avoid having to upgrade in a short while.
Good luck with your first McIntosh amp. :thmbsp:
 
Get a Mc amp or integrated with autoformers. It's worth the extra expense. I remember listening to the MC122 and MC162, then the bigger autoformer amps. Significant difference.
An added advantage is that you can drive any speaker you can buy with an autoformer amplifier and know you're getting the best sound possible from your electronics. I'll even go so far as observing autoformers make your speaker cables less critical to obtain the best sonic signature from your system overall.
 
I don't have near that kind of money, but I think a good upgrade path now would be a C220/Krell KAV-400xi (power only) while I save for the 252.
 
Mr. forzaroma, fantastic video! You should definitly do more of those, you're a natural.

I see that you've upgraded to 501's and AKG's.

Would you care to post a 252/501 comparison?

Thanks.
 
The 501 has already received such rave reviews by the professional press and amateurs alike that I don't think I have much to add.

Search and read older posts on the subject on AK. It's an amazing amp.

I can try a quick'n'dirty analogy between the MC252 and the MC501 and cars. The MC252 is like an 8-cylinder Ferrari, and the 501 is like a 12-cylinder Ferrari. They both look awesome, they handle beautifully, the will make your driving time a joy, but the 12-cylinder is smoother, responds more quickly and effortlessly, and its "purr" is a bit more seductive and intoxicating.

One great thing about the McIntosh line (at least as amps are concerned) is that, IMO, at any given price and power range, you are getting something that you will truly enjoy and that will provide you with beautiful and captivating music for the rest of your days. Even in terms of aesthetics, the MC252 looks as awesome as its bigger brothers. For the two years I owned my 252, I never felt I owned a cheap version of a better amp. I felt I owned one of the best amps in the world. Period.

Another great thing is that when I had an opportunity to buy a pair of 501s from another AKer, I was able to sell my MC252 for 80% of what I had paid for it two years ago - you try that with any other brand.

Alberto
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It takes me a fair amount of work and critical listening to do a review. Like Paul Bolin wrote in the Stereophile review:

"They brought musical joy by the truckload. I've never had a harder time taking off my music lover's hat and putting on my reviewer's mortarboard (dunce cap?) than when listening to the Macs."
​

Boy, do I know what he means. I don't want to be taking listening notes. I just want to listen ... and listen ... and listen some more. There, that would be my review :D.

The Stereophile review also covered the technical bases with a J.A.'s measurements and his conclusion:

"I thought the McIntosh amplifiers sounded simply superb when I auditioned them in Paul Bolin's system in the spring. Nothing in the MC501's measured performance causes me to doubt what I heard."

What I'd love to review next is a C500 (or C1000) because I am very interested in the pre-amp vs. no preamp set-up with the MDA1000 and the C220 is outgunned. Unfortunately, unless I can borrow one for 2 months, it will have to wait a year or so for my audio budget to catch up to recent purchases.

Alberto
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the original topic, I think the OP would be happier with an Autoformer Mac (integrated or separates). My MA6500 was good and I was happy with it, but when I changed to the MA7000 it was much smoother and velvety. I've never A-B'ed them back to back but I'm sure the difference would be easily discernable. Why not look for a gently used MA6900? There are lots of them running around and would suit the bill, imo.
 
Back to the original topic, I think the OP would be happier with an Autoformer Mac (integrated or separates). My MA6500 was good and I was happy with it, but when I changed to the MA7000 it was much smoother and velvety. I've never A-B'ed them back to back but I'm sure the difference would be easily discernable. Why not look for a gently used MA6900? There are lots of them running around and would suit the bill, imo.

+1, I agree with the MA6900.
 
Thanks everyone. Several people have recommended autoformers over DC models (I learned that the non-autoformer models are direct coupled).

I'll look into an MA6900.
 
worldwide. I'm a long-time McIntosh owner too and I absolutely love my Mc gear, but as far as a choice between autoformer and non-autoformer amps is concerned, I think it is a matter of personal taste and choice. You don't say what your musical preferences are or what other equipment, like source components, speakers, etc. you'll be using and these are important variables for you to consider.

The non-autoformered amplifiers, like Krell, Spectral, Levinson, etc. typically sound more detailed and faster, but usually lack the warm tube-like "McIntosh" sound. I would expect a non-autoformered McIntosh amp to have much of the same characteristics. It sounds like you are fortunate enough to be able to buy your Mc gear new, so assemble a nice cross-section of your favorite music, that covers all the bases sonically like; female vocal, male vocal, solo acoustic instrument(s), large scale productions, chamber music, etc. and make an appointment with your local dealer and listen to both types of amps. Some quality time listening to YOUR music on various gear will make the choice clear! Be sure to listen to some other high-end brands of gear too to get some perspective.

My personal preference is McIntosh because it does everything that I value when listening to my music RIGHT. It should do the same for you! Good luck! :thmbsp::music:
 
Of my 5 McIntosh amp/receiver units, there is not an autoformer among them. That is not deliberate, just that the products that I purchased happened to be OTL amps. Now that I have focused on the distinctions (by auditioning autoformer amps at dealers) I have two observations: 1. yes, there is an audible difference in the style of the sound; and 2. my non-autoformer gear sounds as smooth and subtle as I could want, so I am not compelled to make a change. I think some of this is due to my speaker choices (almost exclusively British, neutral, BBC-style), but it is also a result of the fact that even OTL amps, when built by McIntosh, have a McIntosh sound.
 
Back
Top Bottom