• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B-2X or M-80...help

The for sale ad resurfaced and I gotta Yamaboner. Anybody know the physical size parameters of C118 & C119? I'm on the verge.
B-2X jones
 
Last edited:
I read some good threads from ya on the B-2X and saw the video. Good stuff. Question about the unique 100mF, 6.3V fat caps. I found 3 or 4 at digikey between 3 and 4 inches tall. Happen to have any physical size info or some old ones laying around for reference?
Thanks

EDIT: Sorry for silly questions & such. I noticed your thread where 2 members sent you those caps for testing and was curious if the old caps are still around. I wouldn't use old ones per say. Just curious about lead spacing and such. Thanks
50mm dia x 50mm L
 
50mm dia x 50mm L
Much appreciated Rott. The 80mm height are best I can find at the moment. Any spare room in the transformer area for jumper redneck ops?
EDIT: is there room under the plate between the speaker terminals & transformer to stash those caps?
Thanks
 
Last edited:
C118 and 119 on the amplifier assemblies. 100,000µf/6.3vdc These need to be almost the exact same dimensions as the OEM parts or smaller in both dia. and length.

***** Good Luck ***** :biggrin:


These might be available in Japan. But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Sorry about your leg Scape, those rogue waves can be a birch.

If I didn’t already have a B-2, I’d definitely get a B-2x (might still do some day), it has a more detailed sound than M-80, to my ears anyway. Beside, it’s heavier by 3Kg so it must be better … you know how it is.

Also, I’m not aware of any particularly difficult to find parts that went into B-2x that would make them so hard to repair. Someone could/should confirm. B-2x does, however, have speaker terminals that are overly susceptible to damage. I have seen too many with broken/lose/missing/damaged speaker posts/assembly. Oh, and B-2x is a class A amp which means hotter than your usual all class AB amps.

Good luck whichever you get and get well soon.
Sparky... Got any 50mmx50mm caps in Japan for this? Need 4. Please check under every bowl of rice cuz I'm kinda worked up over this piece.
Thanks

Esoteric redneck with blueballs
 
Sparky... Got any 50mmx50mm caps in Japan for this? Need 4. Please check under every bowl of rice cuz I'm kinda worked up over this piece.
Thanks

Esoteric redneck with blueballs
are the ones in your unit bad?

when they go bad is usually due to a semi crapping out and creating a spike that exceeds the 6.3v cap rating. That's how you get all 4 to fry out. Otherwise fat and stubby last a very long time.
IIRC, they see about ~5v or so on regular basis (I logged that somewhere but can't remember the exact value at the moment).
 

are the ones in your unit bad?
I haven't asked the seller about that cuz they usually don't know their ass from a fuse. They might be good for all I know. I just wanna swap them from age for longevity. If they're unobtaniums, I might walk away with blue balls.
 
Last edited:
Sparky... Got any 50mmx50mm caps in Japan for this?
LOL … will look around but don’t hold your breath, capacitor variety for consumers in Japan is very limited. I often get my special caps from Mouser, go figure.

Also, stop flucking around and get the darn thing already, caps inside are probably okay.

“When in doubt, always buy”
 
Back
Top Bottom