• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B & O TTs

A German Ebayer offers retipping for 99 Euros, apart from that one has to look for good used cardridges, respectivley to check the cardridge carefully that an offered Beogram has installed.

I totally love Bang&Olufsen (and Dual) turntables!!!


:yes:

Could you point to his page, I'm interested but can't find him?

Soon should receive Beo 5005 tt, seller claims the cartridge/needle is in fine condition, however would like to know who to call for help if needed. :thmbsp:

(edit)
found it; http://www.schallplattennadeln.de/

cheers
 
Last edited:
Got my first Beogram - 5005 ever, it seems that all mechanical parts work fine, belts look OK too, but that needle ... oh :sigh: actually there's no needle anymore, it's just sliding down on the record, I tried just to see if arm is functioning but had to take the cartridge out and will probably sent it to Alex in Germany for retipping soon.

8098040644_0714503b54_c.jpg


8098033113_f725e08309_b.jpg
 
I have a beogram 3400 that came with the MMC 20 EN cartridge, and I would call it's sound warm. I also have an MMC 20 CL (which inexplicably crapped out on me recently,) that sounds smoother and more detailed than the EN, yet still warm. If anything, I would say the B & 0 sound is a bit Shure-like. I would consider the Audio Technica and Ortofon sound to be typically "cooler" than my B & O cartridges.

As far as pricing, reliability, user-friendliness, and build quality go, I tend to favor upper-end Japanese turntables of the same era, but B & O turntables sound good and look pretty.
 
Last edited:
As far as pricing, reliability, user-friendliness, and build quality go, I tend to favor upper-end Japanese turntables of the same era, but B & O turntables sound good and look pretty.

For the look I can't agree more, but for the sound should wait for the needle re-tipping.
This 5005 is so slim and compact, all metal/alu case and can easily sit on the wall shelf.

8099296509_066b1a19f6_c.jpg
 
I have the Beogram 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2202, 2402, 4004 and 6000, so I can say: I am convinced of the sound quality of these fine turntables, radial and tangential.

If they are in working condition they seem to work forever! Adjustment is totally easy, even women could do it. I never had to replace one single belt in the last ten years, which also is very easy.

The problem indeed are the cardridges, Soundsmith offers them in good qualtity, but very expensive. A German Ebayer offers retipping for 99 Euros, apart from that one has to look for good used cardridges, respectivley to check the cardridge carefully that an offered Beogram has installed.

I totally love Bang&Olufsen (and Dual) turntables!!!


:yes:
 
I had a 4002 that was very good but a modded Technics 1200 mkII kicked it to the curb.

Many say the cartridges are expensive, but I will say that while they cost more than a cheap Shure or Grado, they are in a class above them. For the money, they are pretty good.
Even a lightly modded Technics SL-1200 Mk II kicks any B&O to the curb. And offers cartridge choice. (even SoundSmith's nice MI offerings). Less finicky, lower maintenance. Personally for MI cartridges I like the Nagaoka MP-110 and the MP-200 a lot.
 
I had a Beogram 1602 in my youth. Equipped with a quadrophonic pickup.
The pickup/needle did not survive a party and I could not afford a replacement, I wound up installing a Shure pickup by some heavy-handed modifications
The record player itself was just a tad too frail for a young man's lifestyle, so a Dual took it's place.
 
Back
Top Bottom