• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W 330i for $40? Austin

Register to hide this ad
Worth it for what? to listen to or re sell? IMHO they would just be another mediocre sounding set of speakers to listen too, to resell you could almost certainly double your money at least I would think.


Regards Snow
 
I misread the thread title. Damn.

ZHP-001-940x636.jpg
 
Not interested in flipping. So these are considered mediocre? I know they are old--30 years +.
To me anyways they would be. I suppose they would sound better then a pair of Panasonic Thrusters but certainly not audiophile quality to most people. Age is really not all that important there were some very nice speakers made 40-50 years or longer ago it is more they were sold as budget model speakers then with low cost parts and age has not made them better.



Regards Snow
 
Well if they were budget speakers originally I will pass. Just gave away some towers to a friend and thought these might be spares to replace those no longer in the house. Thanks for responding.
 
I don't blame you for asking BD.
The B&W caught my eye, and I associate B&W as quality.
Plus the price is attractive.
 
For $30 you really can't go wrong. A friend of mine has the next smaller pair down from these and I like them.
They use the same tweeter as the big DM2000/3000 so you can easily triple your money (or more) parting them out if you buy them and they are not to your liking.
 
I have never heard a pair of "mediocre" B&Ws.
I suppose it would depend on your experience with other speakers but these retailed for 200.00 the parts could not be more then 50.00 total hard to not be mediocre sounding with such a budget IMHO all'though the vast majority of B&W speakers will sound good I own a pair that is on the low end of mediocre sounding to my ears. We all hear differently and what I may consider mediocre you may feel is great or awful listening enjoyment is very subjective.


Regards Snow
 
I've had a few pairs, fair enough they aren't representative of B&W's best attempt at making speakers, the vinyl veneer isn't the nicest but I have to disagree that they sound mediocre. From memory all the pairs I had to flip sold to the first person who heard them. The sound good, I also believe they cost quite a bit more than 200 a pair new. I'd get them for that price.
 
I suppose it would depend on your experience with other speakers but these retailed for 200.00 the parts could not be more then 50.00 total hard to not be mediocre sounding with such a budget IMHO all'though the vast majority of B&W speakers will sound good I own a pair that is on the low end of mediocre sounding to my ears. We all hear differently and what I may consider mediocre you may feel is great or awful listening enjoyment is very subjective.


Regards Snow
I read they retailed for $800. Where did you get that figure?
 
The ad states that they were originally $200. I'm not sure where the seller got the price. I have absolutely no use/place for these and I'm about to get talked into contacting the seller. Probably gone already, so what's the harm?
 
The seller may not know. He/she was concerned about the weight and someone having transportation to take them away moreso than the price. I offered $35 and then retracted--they were fine with that and they probably would take less was my impression.
 
I've had a few pairs, fair enough they aren't representative of B&W's best attempt at making speakers, the vinyl veneer isn't the nicest but I have to disagree that they sound mediocre. From memory all the pairs I had to flip sold to the first person who heard them. The sound good, I also believe they cost quite a bit more than 200 a pair new. I'd get them for that price.
As I stated earlier to markshan it would depend on your previous listening experiences with other speakers and your tastes in sound, listening preferences are very subjective. IMHO they are going to sound mediocre, to you they may sound wonderful. I have many decent but mediocre sounding speakers now so for me I would not be interested at any price. It all depends on what your current speakers are these may be a vast improvement. They are vinyl wrapped 2 way speakers that play from 48hz + or- 3hz so no deep bass the tweeter is ok but once again nothing impressive just mediocre in my opinion. Here is a pair of mediocre sounding JBL's the L200T3 they were expensive when sold I believe around 2k per pair well built cabinets veneer is so so. I used to buy every low powered vintage int amp I could find if the price was right and have listened to most all of them by the major brands some sounded better then others but none were outstanding in any way after a while I quit buying them convinced that if I wanted really good sound I was going to have to move further up the food chain.

My first stereo was a pair of Bose 401's and a Sony receiver I was pretty happy with them until I heard something better then realized just how mediocre sounding they really were, depending on where someone is on there audio journey these may sound great. I am sure there are audiophiles out there with mega buck systems who think that every thing I have ever owned or listened to is mediocre sounding :D

DSC05764.JPG






I read they retailed for $800. Where did you get that figure?
It was stated in the ad which would not surprise me too awful much they look very cheaply built and these have some cosmetic damage too.


Regards Snow
 
Last edited:
I am sure there are audiophiles out there with mega buck systems who think that every thing I have ever owned or listened to is mediocre sounding :D
That is part of it another part is the big difference in sound from different high quality speakers. Those that want Klipsch sound might not like Dahlquist sound and other such examples. So for someone stating a speaker is mediocre, it needs to be accepted in context...both with respect to what speakers they like and how high up that megabuck ladder they are.
 
Back
Top Bottom