• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W 802 Series 80 Users?

Ross6860

Super Member
A pair of these have come up locally.

Thoughts, comments? Tone? Comparable speakers?

I think I read they need a lot of space, which I do not have.

I love my KEF 104/2, any comparison?
 
Register to hide this ad
I haven't heard the Kef's but I have the 802 series 80 at home in a nearfield config and just love them-- the APOC protection will kick in at the lowest bass excursion as my test is that killer drum solo from Phil Collins "In the Air Tonight" -- I suspect with a sub they would be improved in that area-- but they still go deep and I have played cuts from Billie Eilish that test the bass response on any speaker and they shone through. The tone of vocals are smooooooth and natural-- I test with HI Res Qobuz and Tidal streaming and local SACD Norah Jones tracks and she is glorious. With the new Tool album they are responsive to all the percussive elements and while they don't rock as hard as my Klipsch RP 280's they were great for the medium size room I listen in. I've read a lot of comments from other users and it seems that these are one of the highest regarded of ANY B&W speaker. I have been to shows and listened to Diamond 802's and Nautilus series and I have to say I feel the pair I have at home will only improve with a better front end as what I have I think is below what they are capable of working with-- using an Adcom GFA 555 and an HK preamp using HI res. I'll be swapping out for some other vintage amps soon as well as my Marantz 7002 to see if there is a difference. GET THEM if they are in good shape. If they need work I'm not sure if they would be worth the money and work to you as I would consider Monitor Audio and the some of the discontinued KEF R series or Adagio from Elac (which I am eyeing as well).
 
Back
Top Bottom