• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

B&W DM2 info wanted

They thundered,I mean the bass was THUNDERING with the 20watt NAD 3020a.

you would have to hear it to believe it,thats with the bass knob at 1:30, with the loudness off. So, I if you amp has high current with low wattage,it will work great.

bark.


Good bass, I have four DM2a per channel. They are wired in series parallel to bring the nominal impedance back to 8 Ohms. The lower two on each channel are inverted and the other two are stood on top. This way all the exits of the four transmission lines are together. This seems to reinforce the bass. It is effortless, and of course the power handing is much higher. Mad, but so what. Just as well the floor is strong.
 
The speakers are in another family house some miles from here. I have (somewhere on this PC) a very poor picture. Will look for it.
 
Here is one channel.

Sorry, clicked the wrong button, perhaps a mod will remove this post.

Correct post below.
 
Last edited:
Here is one channel, not quite stacked as I mentioned. Originally lower cabinets were on floor. Started raising them, but did not get round to completing.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0949.jpg
    DSCF0949.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 202
A Radford STA25 III (EL34) tube power amp works very nicely with my B&W DM2 and DM2a speakers.

Looks like a good amp but a bit expensive around here. I'm thinking about going for some Klipsch Forte's and found out what the single ended triode sound is like. Really curious how this compares to transmission lines.
 
Hello everybody!
I beg your pardon for lifting up this topic. I've bought DM2a pair in 2014 and they replaced my Tannoy Cheviot without regrets. DM2a gives much more comfortable listening in my room (3,2 x 5,5 m) they have smaller cabinets than Cheviot's with 12" DC driver. Now my system is:
ARCAM DIVA CD92
PRIMARE I21
Does anybody knows about low frequency level of this speaker? It seems to me is about of 50Hz for my sense.

Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • DM2a.jpg
    DM2a.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 66
Hi,if you search the Web : B&W DM-2a many pictures +some tecknical sheets bass frequency 31hz . Super tweeter STC Coles 4001G, tweeter-mid Celestion hf1300 /II andWoofer DW200/2 bextrene 8 inch. X-over 400hz-13000hz.
 
Thanks. I've even seen some pictures with measurements where was indicated low level about 50-70Hz with tolerance +/- 4dB. Can we trust it? I have electronic user manual with graph as well. We dispute about this issue with my friend who has Dynaudio P16. He told me that DM2a is a punch loudspeaker with little accent on 100Hz and has no info below 60Hz.
I don't have any test CD with frequencies to check out the loudspeaker and i know this is not true way.
 

Attachments

  • 159991-bw_dm2_loudspeakers.jpg
    159991-bw_dm2_loudspeakers.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 37
I love old B&W's. I have DM6's and love them. They beed a lot of good clean power to found best and my solid state amp has been completely upgraded and matches them well.

The DM6 crossover has similar parts to yours and I replaced the Mylar tan caps with Mundorf Supremes. This really cleaned them up.

I'll bet those DM2's are great.

Someone I respect a lot as an audiophile said I would have to spend about $4000 on new speakers to beat them in my listening room. I'm not sure if that is true but I do like them a lot.

Enjoy!
 
Actually the design of DM2 & DM2a is not really transmission line. 152 mm Bass/Mid-range unit has rear load eighth wave acoustic line. I made for them 17 inch stands (weigh of each ~15 kg) as indicated in OM, applied high density chip-board. No doubts these are an outstanding loudspeakers in spite of the time past from when them was invented. I quite agree if we start looking for a new speakers to change this old players we have to invest money in 10 times of cost second hand DM2a. As I wrote above I changed my Cheviot to B&W without regrets and I'm enjoying it every time.
The issue was a little dispute with my friend about extension of low frequencies to play bass guitar, drums, may be organ.
 

Attachments

  • DM2A-OM_Страница_14.jpg
    DM2A-OM_Страница_14.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 60
  • DM2A-OM_Страница_15.jpg
    DM2A-OM_Страница_15.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 55
  • B&W.jpg
    B&W.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hello everybody!
I beg your pardon for lifting up this topic. I've bought DM2a pair in 2014 and they replaced my Tannoy Cheviot without regrets. DM2a gives much more comfortable listening in my room (3,2 x 5,5 m) they have smaller cabinets than Cheviot's with 12" DC driver. Now my system is:
ARCAM DIVA CD92
PRIMARE I21
Does anybody knows about low frequency level of this speaker? It seems to me is about of 50Hz for my sense.

Thanks.
Tell me about that Primare!
 
The sounstage is huge and stable, treble is absolutely neutral, vocal is so soulful as you can hear it life, bass is deep, tight and soft simultaneously. This is result together with ARCAM CD92
 
The sounstage is huge and stable, treble is absolutely neutral, vocal is so soulful as you can hear it life, bass is deep, tight and soft simultaneously. This is result together with ARCAM CD92
Thanks! I just agreed to buy an I32. There is no way I could have listened to it before deciding, so I'm pretty nervous. I feel better after reading your response. I'll be using it to drive Canton Ergo 1002DCs. Another brand few know about in the USA.
 
Yes. I'm not out of the woods yet. But I don't think they'd have made the change if it made their products worse........I hope. ;^)
 
Back
Top Bottom