• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

B&W Tweeter repair advice please.

Kahoona

Super Member
Hi
I recently picked up a pair of B&W 804 series 1 speakers cheap. One of them has a damaged tweeter diagram with cracks and a small hole. They sound fine at normal volume but the damaged one kind of rings when at high volume or with a tone generator. The other is fine. Is this a tweeter that I can change the dome in? I am experienced at electronic and speaker repairs but am not comfortable with aligning a coil in a strong magnetic field. I also need a plastic mounting part. The tweeter is a number HF UNIT ZZ8532 and I understand that a kit for repair is made (ZR8532). I am unable to find a direct route to buy from B&W and cannot find a local dealer that sells the parts or answers the phone at all!
I tried the search but had no luck. I did as much other research as possible before posting the question but I hope someone else has been there and done that.
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • DSC04030.jpg
    DSC04030.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC04037.jpg
    DSC04037.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Have you called B&W USA in Massachusetts? When I blew the tweeter in my 803s they sold me a new one. The wiring harness uses automotive style snap-on connectors, IIRC.
 
I found a B&W parts site Matrix 804 replacement tweeter with the same number as mine and a price of $362.00!! Without the housing. There are a number tweeters listed under the Matrix 804 and mist of them go for $50.00 Mine must be really good ;-). I also see a diaphragm for $47 for this tweeter. I guess the question is has anyone replaced one of these? What was required to do it? It would be worth it for me to try.
Did they really sell the same model with tweeters that were that different in quality??
http://bwgroup-support.com/partspriceavail.html
 
I think the diaphram should work. There should be a "shoulder" that the assembly somewhat "snaps" over that centers the VC while installing....Should be good to go :yes:
 
just saw this now.
you can just install the new diaphragm in
you have to un solder leads and re solder make sure go on same terminals
Alternately b & w will do the swap for you if you send them the tweeter.
 
just saw this now.
you can just install the new diaphragm in
you have to un solder leads and re solder make sure go on same terminals
Alternately b & w will do the swap for you if you send them the tweeter.

HI
Since this thread the story has continued. I did buy a diaphragm and tried to install it just that way but it is a very tight place to do a tricky butt solder between a large wire and a heavy lug on thenew aprt and I finally gave up when the incoming wire gott to short from cutting back and trying again. The coil wires came off of the lug on the new piece and eventually suffered the same fate. I've done a lot of soldering but some days solder won't flow and thats it. I sent it to B&W who said that they could not repair it because they did not stock the wire harness and besides it was impossible to fish the new harness through the tweeter passages. I would have to replace the tweeter for $360.00. I got it back, fished the new wires and studied the finer points of soldering a got a lot of advice. I got a new diaphragm , solder station,flux and third hand and very carefully and quickly tried again. The coil wire has come lose and broken near the terminal. I have not given up but have set it aside for now. If you like please check out this thread. If you have any ideas I welcome them.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=434415
 
Back
Top Bottom