• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bad news what to do with my Spec 2?

Which caps did you use, and were the diameters the same - if not, what was necessary to mount them?

edit - did you add a second (top view) picture, or did I have a senile moment in asking the question?

RE: Caps, LNR2A153MSE, Mouser 647-LNR2A153MSE.

They are smaller, but come with clamps. I drilled new holes just inside the old holes. Look close at the bottom view photo. The sheet metal screws I have here are 1/2 inch. 3/8 would have been better but I'm still building my HW supply and organizing it.

The new caps are screw terminal. I cut the wire wrap and used fresh wire ends and soldered the lugs on after crimping.

RE: Second photo. ??? I posted both at once.
 
Thanks for the update I read a lot of your posts. It drives me nuts reading a post only to find out it died out and never knowing what the outcome was.
 
The amp went home last night.

Purequill came up and we spent the afternoon and evening and night going through various pieces. I checked his SPEC 1, all good. We tuned up some Marantz receivers and I looked over a really fancy custom trick amp and got it fired up. It needs work. The designer builder is family and we need some info. Hopefully more about that later.
 
I just wanted to thank blhagstrom for all the amazing work he did on my Spec gear & my Marantz receivers.:thmbsp:

He is truly a very nice guy, with amazing knowledge, & skills.
Freely sharing his expertise & patiently ansewering even my stupidist questions.:withstpd:

It was amazing watching him work.
On one of the Marantz receivers he had to modify & re-fabricate a mounting plate for the power switch.
When a lot of techs would have given up or been happy with “thats good enough" He wasn’t happy until it was as close to perfect as possible.:ntwrthy:

Thank you for having me & all that you do here on AK.
It was well worth the drive, the time & expense.
I couldn’t be happier with your service.:music:

Thanks again
PQ

Ps Link to photos of the "really fancy custom trick amp”
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=8978366#post8978366
Hopefully he can comment or answer your questions on the photos.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear the good ending to the story. That tech (I know who you used and he's up on 102nd in Portland, right?) had MY Spec 2 for a few weeks and couldn't fix one of those intermittent issues. He's a great guy and a good tech but obviously not to Blhagstrom's level in both knowledge and/or tenacity.

Thankfully I found the guy at Fred's (in SE Portland) named Brent who lovingly reflowed the solder joints on one of the boards - not sure which board was the problem child - two years later it still runs perfectly.

These amps are a treasure and so worth keeping running.
 
Back
Top Bottom