• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ban the serocs threads! Panic in the city.

sheltie dave

Addicted Member
How about a week long moratorium on SCORE!!!! threads and SCROE!!! threads? Just a calm announcement that you are happy with a recent acquisition, or a posting with a small review, etc. At times the score threads outnumber some decent to good threads, numbing the senses and blinding the real OMG they found this thread. :D

I'm chuckling over seeing a recent score for a set of speakers that I also just donated to a GW, reminding me that one person's donuts are another person's diamonds.:scratch2:
 
Register to hide this ad
How about a week long moratorium on SCORE!!!! threads and SCROE!!! threads? Just a calm announcement that you are happy with a recent acquisition, or a posting with a small review, etc. At times the score threads outnumber some decent to good threads, numbing the senses and blinding the real OMG they found this thread. :D

I'm chuckling over seeing a recent score for a set of speakers that I also just donated to a GW, reminding me that one person's donuts are another person's diamonds.:scratch2:

I'd say it's a good way to filter out those posts you don't want to read, right?
If you don't like the score threads, doesn't having "score" in the subject line makes it easy to avoid them?

Just a thought, have a good night!

Carnie Wilson
 
Forget it, I will never score at my local goodwill. In the past 12 months I have seen 4 sets of speakers, (all junk) and 1 receiver, a pioneer that was suppose to look like separates, but was all 1 piece, (more junk). Very seldom do i ever score, so no worries here. lol
 
Personally I like the score threads...and it's easy enough to pass by threads you are not interested in. What you may think of as "decent to good threads" others may find numbing to the senses. I prefer donuts to diamonds, they taste better.
 
I like when the poster writes a good first sentence in the post. That way when I see "Score!" as the thread title, I can just hover my cursor over the title for a moment and read most of the first sentence. I think I know the speaker score Dave is referring to. I hovered over that title and passed on opening the thread. Mind you, I'm not an elitist. I also pass by many, many threads in the McIntosh forum. Sometimes a BPC thread is interesting, sometimes a Mac thread is interesting, sometimes neither is. I particularly enjoyed some of the recent dumpster diving threads involving the careful restoration of some Sears all-in-one units, probably the first examples of BPC to be produced.
 
Different strokes for different folks, I get kind of tired of the 8,000th thread about refoaming Advents but enjoyed the same a scant year ago, and know many people still enjoy it and more power to them, I just skip it if not in the mood, shrug.
 
I would rather read "Holy crap! Altec VOTTS!" than "Scored some VOTTS!" or worse yet "Scroed some VOTTS!". You get the idea.

I'm with Dave. Let's get a little creative everyone. jmho
 
I bring this up because there is a proliferation of score threads, and because it seems the "score" is almost always concerned with the price, not the utility value, of the gear. Very, very rarely is the score about music.

Knowing full well that it is necessary to get good scores if you don't flip much(or quickly,) and do buy a lot of gear, I never begrudge anyone who is above board when they score something. I love seeing someone who does good for others netting a good deal.

I also realize, as Tom Brennan points out, that the majority of scores are indeed, stuff that you would not cross the street to pick up free, as you age and your stereo gear improves. It isn't elitist, it is a sanguine eye that can readily see value and quality through years of experience. The yardstick should evolve as life progresses.

Holy Grail pieces, and great gear for dirt cheap are scores. Much gear transactions at our level of cheap! cheapo! :smoke: are deals. Common gear that provides years of enjoyment are purchases. Lets get off the treadmill and stop foisting on all that the world, and seemingly most thrifts, are endlessly stocked with scores!!! :banana:
 
Hey, I scored some doughnuts yesterday. Now, of course this is not an earth shattering occurrence and hopefully it won't offend anyone's tender sensibilities as I relate that I enjoyed the hell out of them. Not vintage but classic if I do say so.
 
fact is for many AK'rs is that this place is the only one where people can find anybody to share their passion with since it can be an esoteric one. It would be awful to finally "score" and not be able to share it with anyone who really understands what it is and what it means to someone. I say "bring on the scores" . Don't like "score" posts : skip them ...no big deal .
 
fact is for many AK'rs is that this place is the only one where people can find anybody to share their passion with since it can be an esoteric one. It would be awful to finally "score" and not be able to share it with anyone who really understands what it is and what it means to someone. I say "bring on the scores" . Don't like "score" posts : skip them ...no big deal .

Well Said . . . keep on Scoring, Scroeing, Finding, Grabbing & Snagging!! :thmbsp:

A rich man's trash is another mans treasure!!
 
Great, another "Stop posting score threads" thread:no: Its very simple, just DON'T read them. Why is this such a hard thing to do for some. Why whine about it. Most, if not all score threads, have the word in the title. If it's something you just gave away or would not walk across the street to get, fine!! But to then make a comment about it and "Sound" elitest by saying your not elitest is a bit ridiculous. Just pass it up. As has been stated, there are few people out there that would care to hear about someone getting some old KLH Model Sventeens. This is one of the very few places that understands. Enjoy all that AK has to offer, life is too short:thmbsp:
 
fact is for many AK'rs is that this place is the only one where people can find anybody to share their passion with since it can be an esoteric one. It would be awful to finally "score" and not be able to share it with anyone who really understands what it is and what it means to someone. I say "bring on the scores" . Don't like "score" posts : skip them ...no big deal .

Great, another "Stop posting score threads" thread Its very simple, just DON'T read them. Why is this such a hard thing to do for some. Why whine about it. Most, if not all score threads, have the word in the title. If it's something you just gave away or would not walk across the street to get, fine!! But to then make a comment about it and "Sound" elitest by saying your not elitest is a bit ridiculous. Just pass it up. As has been stated, there are few people out there that would care to hear about someone getting some old KLH Model Sventeens. This is one of the very few places that understands. Enjoy all that AK has to offer, life is too short
Agree with both these fellas!:thmbsp:

I like the fair warning, it saves me from wasting a LOT of time where i have zero interest. I truly couldn't care less if i tried my hardest about anyone's gloating over how they acquired something for far less that it's probably worth. Indeed.................... my life is far too short for that.
 
How about a single score thread sticky so all the score energy gets focused into a single thread?
 
Agree with both these fellas!:thmbsp:

:thmbsp:

Why not let people have their moments no matter WHAT the score is...

To SheltieDave - your attitude about it is elitist IMO. You don't have a problem with score threads, just the one's you think are junk gear.
 
Last edited:
on a daily basis I "pass" on a number of "score" threads by hovering over the post to see the first few sentences (as has been pointed out already) : some interest me and I look , but when (I hope it's when and not if) I finally get something Ive been waiting for for a long time I hope to post a "score" and maybe get some positive feedback... because trust me : this is the only venue for me where anybody has a clue about what I'm talking about ; and I appreciate it being here...........sharing the passion : that's what AK is supposed to be about : but just like other threads that don't interest me : I avoid them : don't like "score" threads : avoid them : what's the big deal?
 
How about a single score thread sticky so all the score energy gets focused into a single thread?

I snagged, scored, scroed a R2R yesterday and posted it in the tape forum so I could receive assistance from the cordial tape pros of AK!!! and those guys came through for me in a matter of minutes. :thmbsp:

A sticky would not help me with this. I think of AK as a tech support for obsolete items I find, besides a place to discuss audio and music & life in general. Why ruin a good thing.
 
Well, I was gonna post my sorce on the pair of Mission 700s's I rescued from the local HH store for 10 bucks.


But I guess not.:sadwave:
 
Well, I was gonna post my sorce on the pair of Mission 700s's I rescued from the local HH store for 10 bucks.


But I guess not.:sadwave:

I would have had to push back the urge to purge if my eyes even caught sight of those awful speakers! I can hardly imagine actually taking them home with me. Please. I wouldn't use them for firewood, even if there was nae a tree around for miles. Now, you'll excuse me whilst I sip sauvignon blanc and rub a fresh lemon zest and jasper oil into the grain on my Vandersteen 7's. ;)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom