• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bands that got better

I think if there's one band that has slowly built to higher and higher levels of quality over the years in the themes they address, their sheer musical talent, and their maturity, it's gotta be Los Lobos. Album after album they keep cranking out awesome roots rock and never, ever sound stale.

And if you don't know their music.... well, first, I feel sorry for you, but second, you need to go get your hands on a copy of Kiko... or The Town and the City... or The Ride.... or Will the Wolf Survive?.... Ahhhh, heck, just about any of their albums....

Michelle Shocked is another artist who continues to grow. She has her own agenda and doesn't seem to wanna take crap from anyone, and despite how she irritates those executive kinds of guys (to paraphrase Frank Zappa), she keeps just putting out great work.
 
Last edited:
The Black Crows got better in a way that a lot of people can't understand. Many people think their first and second albums were the best. Although I really think their first and second releases were great, I believe they got better as time went on.
 
Last edited:
David Bowie got better (for a while...)
Judas Priest got better (for a while...)
Ministry got better (for a while...)
Prince got better (for a while...)

Isn't that often the case with the great, and even many of the good ones? Got better for awhile and then, if they managed to hang around long enough, got worse.
 
Opeth definitely got better. The first two albums are kinda hard to listen to.

+1 for Opeth..really developed...and Mastodon...once a nondescript, crappy metal band, and with the release of "Crack the Skye" a bona fide prog concept record...amazing how far they have come
 
Luna was another great band that kept getting better.... sadly, they chose to call it a day about two or three years ago. Still, a very cool vibe with great guitars and great lyrics. Very mellow, but a great sound.
 
Notwithstanding compilations, reunion tours etc. I think these bands got better:

Traffic
The Doors
Lynyrd Skynyrd

I don't know what kind of tenure is necessary, but the (English) Beat got better.

Rancid comes to mind as well, I don't know their entire catalog. I'll hear a song of theirs and think, I need to grab that - then I forget....ditto with Midnight Oil.

So many good artists and bands have a misfire here and there, to continually up the ante universally or critically is nearly impossible.

Lot of my favorites are popping up in this thread.
 
Don't know if these artists have been mentioned:

Sparklehorse - up and maybe slightly down but consistent

M. Ward - still growing

Elliott Smith - liked his more raw early songs but he was crafting some more elaborate and beautiful music up to the end

Cloud Cult - seems like anything's possible from them

Stereolab - huge output and I think they steadily improved (until recently)
 
Does this include his stint where he was writing scripts for Professional Wrestling in the WCW? :)

Sorry, I just had to...:)

Bob has also recently done electronica and now is a DJ and plays a bunch of industrial stuff, neither of which I care for.
Through it all he still makes and plays Rock and Roll or some variation of it.

No one has mentioned any blues bands. Most of them seem to get better as they go.
 
Isn't that often the case with the great, and even many of the good ones? Got better for awhile and then, if they managed to hang around long enough, got worse.

Yeah, I would agree, there is a rule of thumb for a majority of all bands. Either they start out with a bang and progressively get worse or reach a crescendo and then fade away...
 
Opeth definitely got better. The first two albums are kinda hard to listen to.

Yes, and no, it's all good.

I will add a band nobody much knows but after 20 years there is no letup at all.
Started death metal, evolving into prog with many places for them to go from this point.
Their 2009 release is just amazing. One of the best shows I saw last year, their set just flew.

Amorphis. :tresbon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRUMjy8p_M

Carl
 
So many good artists and bands have a misfire here and there, to continually up the ante universally or critically is nearly impossible.

This is truth.

However, I still find with some bands that their later mediocre or bad output is more listenable than the earlier of the same, if for no other reason that it is at least unique/interesting/complex. It's like it is "bad accomplished" compared to just "bad we're-still-learning-to-play".

For instance, I'll listen to that plodding/awkward beast that is Rush's "Test For Echo" any day over their debut album or "Caress of Steel". Overall "Echo" is more interesting, more textured and complex, more restrained, structured, and mature, and you can tell the members have all progressed greatly as musicians (and Geddy actually sings instead of just shrieking) even if the song writing ultimately fails on most songs (as they did in those two earlier albums, with a few notable exceptions like "Working Man" and "Bastille Day").

And, to compare two individual songs, think of Rush's "Tai Shan" (which is almost universally reviled by Rush fans) and compare it to their "I Think I'm Going Bald", which is not only about THE worst Rush song, it's one of THE worst songs ever (I still can not comprehend what they were thinking what that one; even their other "joke/fool around" songs are better, like "Dog Years"). At least the one has some talent shining through on it (Tai Shan), if it ultimately is misguided; the other is just unlistenable (Going Bald).

I find it's even true with some bands such as Rush that their later mediocre output can surpass, in some aspects, their earlier better material. Take "Driven" from "Echo" and compare it to "Freewill" from "Permanent Waves". "Freewill" is by far the superior song, yet "Driven" has such depth and texture (and a great bass solo) that it in some ways proves that Rush has progressed as musicians in the 15 odd years since they wrote "Freewill" and it. Yet "Driven" remains an awkward and dragging song and nowhere near as good as "Freewill".

This phenomena of some bands later lesser material being better in some ways better than their earlier great material, and their later bad material usually better than their earlier bad material, is oxymoronic, yet still holds true sometimes.
 
Can't believe nobody's mentioned SRV - he definitely improved with age.

Not enough for my taste, unfortunately. I think he would've got there in time.

Robert Cray has been on a gradual upward trajectory throughout his career.
 
The band Talk Talk evolved from early 80's synth pop roots to a much more interesting and organic sounding outfit just before they split in the early 90's. They got a million times better in the process. Although I'm a fan of all their stuff (including the electro pop) their later records are moody and sonically rich. More soul. The Flaming Lips keep getting more critical acclaim with each album released thses days.
 
Yes, and no, it's all good.

I will add a band nobody much knows but after 20 years there is no letup at all.
Started death metal, evolving into prog with many places for them to go from this point.
Their 2009 release is just amazing. One of the best shows I saw last year, their set just flew.

Amorphis. :tresbon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRUMjy8p_M

Carl
duly noted, thanks for the heads up....nothing like finding a hidden jewel......I ain't much on metal, but an original prog rock band is a rare wonder to me...:yes:
 
The Doors

Have to disagree with you on this one. IMO, The Doors started out fully formed and descended into self parody over thier short career. Also, while I am sure others will disagree, IMO, the only really essential Doors record is their first.
 
Have to disagree with you on this one. IMO, The Doors started out fully formed and descended into self parody over thier short career. Also, while I am sure others will disagree, IMO, the only really essential Doors record is their first.

I'm sure many would agree with you. I enjoy listening to LA Woman far more than I do their earlier releases - personal preferences, go figure.

This thread has certainly given me some new music to seek out, that's a good thing.
 
This is truth.

However, I still find with some bands that their later mediocre or bad output is more listenable than the earlier of the same, if for no other reason that it is at least unique/interesting/complex. It's like it is "bad accomplished" compared to just "bad we're-still-learning-to-play".

This phenomena of some bands later lesser material being better in some ways better than their earlier great material, and their later bad material usually better than their earlier bad material, is oxymoronic, yet still holds true sometimes.

Interesting point you make, but I ask you this. Given the huge amount of great music that has been released over the years, why should anyone but the most devoted fans of a group care about a band that has declined creatively? Why spend time listening to "mediocre but listenable" records when there are undiscovered masterpieces out there?
 
The band Talk Talk evolved from early 80's synth pop roots to a much more interesting and organic sounding outfit just before they split in the early 90's. They got a million times better in the process. Although I'm a fan of all their stuff (including the electro pop) their later records are moody and sonically rich. More soul.

I mentioned Talk Talk earlier in this thread. I agree 100% Even the early stuff is great (especially when compared with with the other synth pop that was coming out early in their career), but their last 3 albums are really something - especially on a good system. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom