• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best 6SN7's for bass?

parkerdom

I am blessed.
Subscriber
Greetings! I'm currently using GE 6SN7GTB's from the early '70s in the front end of my Red Iron Amps line stage. I really like them, but the bass seems soft. 'Any suggestions for other 6SN7's? Thanks... :)
 
Register to hide this ad
Oh dear...'I need a tube to deal with a design issue in my ____'.

In all my time playing with 6SN7-ish tubes in linestages I never ran into this. 12SN7, 12AH7, 7N7, 7AF7, and adapters to run some 9-pin-ers like 6H6Pi and 5687...as well as nearly every 6SN7 variant made; round-plate Tung-Sol, metal base Sylvania, mouse-ear Tongue-Sore, and too many others... :)
cheers,
Douglas
 
I agree with Douglas. I can hear differences between different brands of 6SN7s, but I've never heard one that was lacking bass, and certainly not the GE's which are pretty much my go-to 6SN7. Are yours new-old-stock or used? The only thing I can think is that

1) The tubes are worn and not running up to spec, or

2) The preamp is not very well designed.

You could try a different 6SN7. I would suggest a new pair of Tung-Sol 6SN7s, to be sure you are getting good strong tubes. If that doesn't solve your issue, the problem lies somewhere else.
 
Greetings! I'm currently using GE 6SN7GTB's from the early '70s in the front end of my Red Iron Amps line stage. I really like them, but the bass seems soft. 'Any suggestions for other 6SN7's? Thanks... :)
While tubes do sound different, just because a tube produces "better" bass when used in one amp or preamp doesn't necessarily mean it will have the same effect in a different one. Differences in circuits play a bigger role, as do differences in the rest of the system . . . sources, speakers, rooms as well as an individual's hearing. Too many variables.

Audiophiles frequently have boxes full of expensive "holy grail" tubes which failed to produce the desired sound and now they're gathering dust. They were purchased because someone claimed they had a certain effect on the tonality (or some other aspect) of their system.

So was the person who made the recommendation lying about the tubes? Absolutely not. They really did affect their system as described. The key words being "their system", not yours. So, unless someone has the same system as you, or at minimum this same preamp, their suggestions will be a total crap $hoot.

The most reliable way to alter the tonal characteristics of a particular system is to use EQ. If the issue is limited, a parametric EQ would work well.

Now if you can do without EQ, that's great. But the aversion that many people have to EQ is somewhat ridiculous considering that everything you listen to has been EQ'd (often extensively) during both the recording and mastering process.

I would also suggest that "soft" bass is often more related to the circuit itself - operating points in general and, specifically, the amount and implementation of negative feedback in either the preamp, the amp, or both. What kind of amp and speakers are you using?

If you post a schematic of your preamp, some of the more technically astute here might be able to offer a suggestion that will actually work and cost only a couple of bucks.
 
My preamp that uses 6SN7's doesn't have tone controls, or loudness. I would suggest playing with speaker placement. Maybe closer to the wall, toe them in, tilt them back, etc.? Or buy something like the Shiite Loki add on tone control box. The Loki comes in two versions now and has a bypass switch.
 
While tubes do sound different, just because a tube produces "better" bass when used in one amp or preamp doesn't necessarily mean it will have the same effect in a different one. Differences in circuits play a bigger role, as do differences in the rest of the system . . . sources, speakers, rooms as well as an individual's hearing. Too many variables.

This ^^

Add coupling caps, output transformers, how the 6SN7 is being used, what is being driven and you could end up with a totally different opinion on what a certain tube sounds like.
 
I agree with Douglas. I can hear differences between different brands of 6SN7s, but I've never heard one that was lacking bass, and certainly not the GE's which are pretty much my go-to 6SN7. Are yours new-old-stock or used? The only thing I can think is that

1) The tubes are worn and not running up to spec, or

2) The preamp is not very well designed.

You could try a different 6SN7. I would suggest a new pair of Tung-Sol 6SN7s, to be sure you are getting good strong tubes. If that doesn't solve your issue, the problem lies somewhere else.

Hi. My line stage is, I'm told, similar to a Bottlehead. The 6SN7s are NOS. The bass was more prominent when I ran my active speakers with the passive Schiit SYS. :)
 
For what it's worth, in my distant past using 6SN7s I remember Ken-Rad being slightly bassier, Sylvania being more top-end prominent and RCA being somewhat warmer. YMMV.

PS: I ended up replacing the 6SN7s with 2C22 for distinctly better sound, then went away from IDHT completely to a DHT preamp with an even bigger improvement in sound quality.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom