• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best choice circa £200-300 uk and what to avoid?

ziggydave

Active Member
Good day to you all.
I am getting back into vinyl after many years. I'm not a complete novice when it comes to Hi-Fi, in fact in the 70's and 80's I was pretty knowledgeable, but it's amazing how much you forget! Anyway, I have managed to pick up a one-careful-owner Thorens TD160 in beautiful condition, and I have serviced it. At the moment I am playing it through my non-vintage (well, late 90's) Sony TAF248 which I am thinking of replacing (It's a great little amp but it's a little sterile and I long for some richness) and I'm keen to buy a Sansui. With a limit of £300 (and access to a friendly and knowledgable electronics engineer for service and re-cap etc) what models would you go for and what would you avoid? I would particularly like two phono inputs so I can also spin my old Sugden Connoisseur BD2 without unplugging, but that's not a game-changer. Also, I am using KEF Q35 floor standers which I absolutely love so preferably want to keep but again I'm willing to listen to reason!. Cart is a Shure M75 (EJ stylus).
Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe you should look around for something like an AU-505, or an AU-555, these should be in your price range, and respond well to reconditioning. To those who might suggest a receiver, they are rare over here in the UK, and if looking further afield, shipping and import charges would gobble up the budget.

To give you an idea of current 'within budget' receiver offerings, there are two 331's and an R30L for sale on ebay at present, and one of the 331's is a parts only unit.
 
Last edited:
Maybe you should look around for something like an AU-505, or an AU-555, these should be in your price range, and respond well to reconditioning. To those who might suggest a receiver, they are rare over here in the UK, and if looking further afield, shipping and import charges would gobble up the budget.

To give you an idea of current 'within budget' offerings, there are two 331's and an R30L for sale on ebay at present, and one of the 331's is a parts only unit.
Thank you John, it's really appreciated.
I notice there are quite a few AU-555 models, I assume they are updates? The AU 555 (with the 4 in a square tone knobs) and the 555A (with the three in a row tone knobs). Would you be happy with either? I do like the look of those but there's only one listed in the UK and it's £460. hmm, should I keep saving?

What about the AU 555 VS? Looks much more modern but only seems to have one phono. It doesn't seem to attract the same price, is there a reason?

There's an R50 listed for £70??? is that a steal?
 
I notice there are quite a few AU-555 models, I assume they are updates? The AU 555 (with the 4 in a square tone knobs) and the 555A (with the three in a row tone knobs). Would you be happy with either?
Yes, both good.
I do like the look of those but there's only one listed in the UK and it's £460.
That's very expensive - unrealistically so I think.
What about the AU 555 VS? Looks much more modern but only seems to have one phono. It doesn't seem to attract the same price, is there a reason?
I think I would stay away from that one, I think you mean the AU-α555VS it's an early AV amplifier, and is an oddball.
There's an R50 listed for £70??? is that a steal?
It's a receiver, and not a particularly good one, hence the low price, and maybe it isn't even worth that. ;)

I'll add to the list an AU-317 and AU-217 and AU-101.
 
agree with any of hyperion’s suggestions. will say the 555 is fantastic, imo. incredible thump for 18-20 watts, surprisingly detailed for such a “warm” amp, and the phono stage is second to none. oh, the tone controls are remarkable as well - delicious precision.

seems the 555a is the more favored and/or recommended, but i’ve never heard one so i can’t speak to why that is. the 555 in (even just decent) working order will not disappoint, though. definitely one of my favorites.
 
Thank you John for sharing your detailed knowledge, and specialcase for confirming it. As for choice, out of the models mentioned the 555 is the only one to have two phono inputs and I really like the 'this is serious kit' look of them, that's the way forward I think. But I have yet to find one for the £300 mark. Still, I'm in no hurry.

Is it true what what I have read, that power ratings changed in the way they are measured? Will 18 watts drive my KEF Q35's well enough? I think my Sony is 50WPC, but doesn't scream 'my god I'm powerful'.

And isn't it strange when you think about it... That Sony is a great amp, toroidals, mosFET, great build quality, good spec, but somehow I'm still searching for THAT sound. And you can pick one up for £40 secondhand now. Oh the questions keep coming.....
 
A NAD 3140 has two phono inputs, and despite only being rated at 40W, actually put many "100W" amplifiers to shame. I would get one that's been refurbished though, as they are prone to cooking some of the internal components because things are tight in the power supply area. Maybe one of the UK members like @Hyperion or @Goldie99 could restore one for you?

Lee.
 
I just restored an Sansui au 417. Based on the au 517 it has a good pedigree and it has 2 phono inputs. Is one for sale in Ireland now with an Tu 517.
 
Well, not a 555 to be found anywhere for under £450, out of my range I'm afraid, But I think I've done OK, I stumbled upon an AU 317 on farcebook in really great cosmetic condition, seller says it all works fine, and haggled a deal for £190 inc postage. I will update again when it arrives. Here's hoping... and thanks again for the help so far.
 
A NAD 3140 has two phono inputs, and despite only being rated at 40W, actually put many "100W" amplifiers to shame. I would get one that's been refurbished though, as they are prone to cooking some of the internal components because things are tight in the power supply area. Maybe one of the UK members like @Hyperion or @Goldie99 could restore one for you?

Lee.
Thanks Lee, I had read about NAD cooking problems. I'm emotionally invested in a sansui for some reason.
 
i like my 207 (japanese domestic version of 217) a lot. i’m sure you’ll be pleased with the 317. a bit more power and a preamp/main-in which is a useful feature, enjoy.

oh, in case you run across a 555 in the future and want to pull the trigger, it shouldn’t have any problem powering your kefs. they’re rated 91 db sensitivity; not a difficult load at all for that little amp. like nearly everything sansui, it punches well above its weight.
 
.. I stumbled upon an AU 317 .. I will update again when it arrives.

The AU-317 has only 1 phono input (as you probably know), but apart from that a great choice in my opinion. I hope yours is going to turn out well.

Be aware that these AU-series (117-717) often need a good cleaning of all switches (a clue is intermitting sound or no sound at all from one ore both channels, that changes while working switches and pots).

Have fun
-John-
 
The AU-317 has only 1 phono input

Be aware that these AU-series (117-717) often need a good cleaning

-John-
Thanks, John, I did know, and yes, I have already arranged for it to be serviced once it arrives and I've had a little play first (assuming it will). I'm lucky to have a local and talented engineer in town who is very knowledgeable and not trying to cash in on the vintage market, I'm pretty sure he will fix any problems. Hopefully it will be here tomorrow.

Interestingly, I dug out an old Trio KA 1500 I've had lying waiting to go for service, it has a dry joint somewhere that crackles, but I connected it up today to remind myself what was wrong. I connected it to an old pair of Castle Durhams (again, lying around unused) and WOW, the Sugden Connoisseur sounded superb! I might get that amp repaired and use it for my second setup.
 
The waiting is over, the Sansui has arrived and I was:
  1. Surprised at how much the thing weighed! (This morning I took the aforementioned Trio to the engineer for a service, which sort of 'tared' me to an expectation, but the Sansui must weigh twice as much, so that whet my appetite.
  2. Shocked at the condition, the amp has rack-mount handles which have obviously protected the front plate, it is mint. Showroom condition in fact. How old is this thing??? The white print is like new, so that made me very happy and my appetite was in a world of whetting! So I removed the Sony and connected up the Sansui. It just looks like a million dollars. Very happy bunny so far.
I turned everything flat, defeated the tone, turned off the loudness, zeroed the volume and lifted the power switch. I hear the relays click a second or so later. Great! The quality of the switches and controls strikes me as first-class, real quality. (I know you guys know this, but imagine how I feel... after nearly 40 years of forgetting what quality is. This is a real pleasure). All good so far, turned up to 2/3rds volume and a faint hiss is all I can hear. Sound promising. Turn back down. The moment of truth...

All I can say is... wow. A good hour of listening and I am mesmerized. I'm hearing nuances I never heard before in recordings I've had for decades, but not just that, it's the presentation that really chills me. I'm picking instruments and voices out with pinpoint placement and authenticity that just didn't exist before. String instruments are... are breathing, backing singers are swaying around the mics. This is exquisite! Jesus those KEF's are musical! I never heard them before, this Sansui is getting the best from them. How do they place a soundstage that surrounds me? There's a flute over 90 degrees from my centre line? This can't be true.

On top of that, everything works flawlessly, maybe it has had some work I don't know, but there are no noises from any of the controls, no rattles from inside. All that's left to do is remove those hideous handles, and be thankful they were there.

You will guess that I am really happy. Thank you for all the recommendations, tips and encouragement. Now I must go back to the music... this might take a while.
Dave
 
The waiting is over, the Sansui has arrived and I was:
  1. Surprised at how much the thing weighed! (This morning I took the aforementioned Trio to the engineer for a service, which sort of 'tared' me to an expectation, but the Sansui must weigh twice as much, so that whet my appetite.
  2. Shocked at the condition, the amp has rack-mount handles which have obviously protected the front plate, it is mint. Showroom condition in fact. How old is this thing??? The white print is like new, so that made me very happy and my appetite was in a world of whetting! So I removed the Sony and connected up the Sansui. It just looks like a million dollars. Very happy bunny so far.
I turned everything flat, defeated the tone, turned off the loudness, zeroed the volume and lifted the power switch. I hear the relays click a second or so later. Great! The quality of the switches and controls strikes me as first-class, real quality. (I know you guys know this, but imagine how I feel... after nearly 40 years of forgetting what quality is. This is a real pleasure). All good so far, turned up to 2/3rds volume and a faint hiss is all I can hear. Sound promising. Turn back down. The moment of truth...

All I can say is... wow. A good hour of listening and I am mesmerized. I'm hearing nuances I never heard before in recordings I've had for decades, but not just that, it's the presentation that really chills me. I'm picking instruments and voices out with pinpoint placement and authenticity that just didn't exist before. String instruments are... are breathing, backing singers are swaying around the mics. This is exquisite! Jesus those KEF's are musical! I never heard them before, this Sansui is getting the best from them. How do they place a soundstage that surrounds me? There's a flute over 90 degrees from my centre line? This can't be true.

On top of that, everything works flawlessly, maybe it has had some work I don't know, but there are no noises from any of the controls, no rattles from inside. All that's left to do is remove those hideous handles, and be thankful they were there.

You will guess that I am really happy. Thank you for all the recommendations, tips and encouragement. Now I must go back to the music... this might take a while.
Dave

I was at this point over two years ago when I upgraded from a good old Technics SU-V670 to a Sansui AU-919. Absolutely amazing step up in the food chain. And thanks to Covid restrictions I saved some money from dismissed vacations and cancelled hobby related things, which made me directly going up to the Alpha-907DR. Now switching back and forth between these two goodies. It's incredible what these two amplifiers do with my Technics SB M500M2 speakers and the various things I am listening to (99% Metal related with cement mixer catacomb sound).
 
..All that's left to do is remove those hideous handles..

Most of these rack handles are lost over time (they were always included in the box when bought new). They add not only protection (and a great way to carry around a heavy amp), but also add value as they are a scarce item nowadays.

Great to hear your AU-317 is in such a good condition and that you are so very happy with it (as we fully understand :music: as this is the Sansui forum :D)

Have fun
-John-
 
Back
Top Bottom