• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best ear buds for less than $25 ??

BrocLuno

Lunatic Member
I have a modest collection of ear buds (in ear phones) and they all have issues except for the Sennheiser CX 400 II, which are nearly as good as my best speakers (Infinity with EMITs). I bought some cheaper buds because I can't stand trashing the Sennheisers when I'm out working and they get caught on equipment or brush or whatever.

So in order from best to worst:

Sennheiser CX 400 II - well over $25

All the below under $25:

Coby Jammerz Platinum ($10 -surprise, pretty decent :))
Panasonic RP-HE270 (pretty good - comfortable)
Koss KEB/20g (bass is lacking - not really, just to polite. These are "light weights" though)
Skull Candy Inked (not bad, but kind of veiled and not as comfortable)
iFrogz Earpollution (mediocre & short cord)

Stuff that came with players and such - Yuck !
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
My favorite cheap IEM's are the Head Direct RE2. They used to be over $100 but as the market got more saturated with better and better gear for lesser money, they went down to $30 and have remained there (although I'm not sure if they are for sale anymore). For that price they are competent/very competent IEM's (in fact I like them better than any others I have tried yet on up to $90) and very comfortable as well with my ears.
 
Broc, for a few dollars more (with free shipping from head-direct) I'd recommend the Yuin PK3, extremely comfortable buds that sound great and image like on ear headphones. I've used a pair almost daily for a couple years and they hold up well. Can be worn with or without the foam, I think they sound better without.

Dave
 
Thanks, I'll look into these. The only time a really need in ear is when I'm running the leaf blower or chipping brush because both are loud. Funny, that some buds work OK with big over the ear noise cans, and some don't? The Sennheisers don't work well with another pair of safety cans on. The Coby Jammerz do :)
 
I'm a fan of JVC Marshmallows. You can find the latest model on the bay for around $12-$15 shipped, and if you have a Marshall's discount store near you they have them at 1/2 price ($10.00)
Regards,
Jim
 
Broc, if you really want something that can isolate exterior sounds like your leaf blower, an IEM (in-ear-monitor) might work better for you than an earbud. If so I'd suggest the Brainwavz M1 (plenty of nice reviews) at around the same price, I got mine on a group buy on MP4Nation, think they were $25 shipped.

Dave
 
Last edited:
You can go to walmart and buy a pair of kosses for around $25. No idea what the model was but they didn't sound too bad iirc. I think people said they sound like koss porta pros or something.
 
That is a stunning price for the Sennheiser CX 400 II. The CX 400 B is very nice and comes with travel case and such. The CX 400 II does not come with travel case but the sound just a bit better - anyway my pair sounds touch better.

I'll be ordering a pair pronto as my back-up Sennheisers. And do they sound as good as my Alessandro MS-1 open air phones? Well darn close and that's saying a bunch for in-ear (buds). These are truly great sounding buds :music:

Although the Panasonic RP-HJE270 don't have quite the range and clarity of the Sennheisers, the ones in pink are cheap enough at Amazon for around $13 and they are the most comfortable pair of "in ears" I own. The little part that goes in the ear canal is D shaped and they fit very nicely. These are now my standard "work around the yard" in-ear as they are good enough and you can wear them for hours without fatigue or discomfort :thmbsp:
 
You can go to walmart and buy a pair of kosses for around $25. No idea what the model was but they didn't sound too bad iirc. I think people said they sound like koss porta pros or something.
I have those Koss KE29 earbuds from Walmart and definitely 2nd them.
 
I'll be curious to know if you got legitimate Sennheiser CX-400's from Buy.com. That price is quite a bit lower than other places. The actual vendor supplying them is "Sebago Traders".

There's a guide posted on eBay by someone who got two sets, one real and one fake. Check it out. Would be curious to know if they're selling legitimate versions.
 
I'll be curious to know if you got legitimate Sennheiser CX-400's from Buy.com. That price is quite a bit lower than other places. The actual vendor supplying them is "Sebago Traders".

There's a guide posted on eBay by someone who got two sets, one real and one fake. Check it out. Would be curious to know if they're selling legitimate versions.

Since I have some real Sennheiser CX 400, I'll be able to compare packaging and other clues and I will advise when they get here :scratch2:
 
Back
Top Bottom