• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best financial buy? McIntosh or Yamaha?

eddiedetroit

New Member
What system do you feel would be a better financial investment in this day of hyper inflation and a shrinking dollar? They both sound good.

System 1,
McIntosh pre-amp C28 and the power-amp MC2105 with original factory wood cabinets, original manuals.
Excellent condition. All original inside.

System 2,
Yamaha pre-amp CX-2000 and the power amp MX-2000.
Very good condition. No remote, (don't know if the CX-2000 had a remote.) All original inside.

If both of these systems were available for the same money, what system do you feel is going to hold its value or increase in value?

Thanks,
Ed
 
Register to hide this ad
Is it really all about financial gain >?

I would think it much more matters what sounds good to you ...

I don't post very much here anymore --- but I must say, after listening to Mcintosh (vintage) I had a hard time looking back -- then I sent my MC amp to Terry

UNSURPASSED -- this thing rocks....
 
Yamaha merely adequate. McIntosh superb. McIntosh also is better built, better supported with parts and service and holds resale value better as a line. McIntosh better sounding and an investment for a lifetime and more.
 
Yes many Macs trade like gold, but I am not sure I'd include the MC2105 and 2100.. However, given the choices presented, I'd buy the mac too..
 
Yamaha merely adequate. McIntosh superb. McIntosh also is better built, better supported with parts and service and holds resale value better as a line. McIntosh better sounding and an investment for a lifetime and more.

:lmao:

my B-1 might be insulted if he wasn't busy sounding so damn good ;)

http://www.audioexchangeinc.com/Mc2105chassis.JPG
http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/amp/mx-2000.html

i could tell you which one i thought was better built, but to each his own! :yes:
 
Hello,

Well if "Buy" equates into "Value" I would have to say Yamaha.

If money is no object. Mcintosh.

Frannie
 
As an investment - McIntosh. That is why I keep the C-28 and the MC-2100 I have (not for the sonics, which are nothing to write home about). Cannot go wrong with Mac hardware as an investment - especially if one manages to acquire it at less than market rates (like someone I know here in MA who bought an MC-225 some years back at a Goodwill store for something like $50).
 
Holy crap, if you're looking at the Yamaha set in Birmingham.. buy the McIntosh.. In fact if they want that much for the Mac, I might pass on it too..
 
As an investment I think the Macs are by far the best choice. With fewer made they should appreciate at a steeper rate than the Yamahas. (I also think they provide a better return on your listening dollars in the meantime but I suppose there are some who would disagree on that part...)
 
Hiya,

Oh this is what happens when you skim threads .. you make stupid posts like mine. After reading slowly and carefully the first post.

Without a fricking doubt the Mcintosh setup is a better buy.

The Yamaha's listed while awesome .. are gonna be scrap metal in 15 years while the Mac equipment will just be hitting middle age.

Frannie
 
I would not want to go anywhere NEAR a McIntosh vs. Yamaha debate (been there done that) BUT based on the specific models you set forth, I personally would DEFINATELY get the Yamahas. They are in a different league performance-wise compared to the old school SS Macs you mentioned. Whatever other comparative criteria there may be, these specific Yamaha's will sound better than the specific Macs you mention. The MX-2000 is an absolutely AWESOME amplifier! I had both and they are part of Yamaha's Titanium Centennial limited edition models. They are rare, VERY desirable and will hold their values just fine. Picture below is of the one I had. :smoke:
 

Attachments

  • DSC01689.jpg
    DSC01689.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
What in the world are you people talking about?! The Yamaha MX-2000 is worth more in the same condition any day of the week! You do realize you're talking about an MX-2000? Do people know what that is? Geez. You guys are WAY off. And yes, as Elroy said they will likely even hold their value better than the MAC MC2105.
 
What in the world are you people talking about?! The Yamaha MX-2000 is worth more in the same condition any day of the week! You do realize you're talking about an MX-2000? Do people know what that is? Geez. You guys are WAY off.

The Mx-2000 is one of the best amps I have had the priviledge of owning and listening to. :yes: Nudie below:
 

Attachments

  • DSC01680.jpg
    DSC01680.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom