• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Headphones for under $200

I have both Grado SR-100's and Hifiman HE-4X. I prefer the sound of the HE-4x. I also found the original Grado cushions very uncomfortable. Replacements from Ear Zonk fixed that problem.
 
I am new to Headphones. What would be recommended $200 and below.

I have a Pioneer SX-980 and a TEAC Cassette deck and Reel to Reel from the 70's.

I have read some pretty good reviews on the Grado SR80E.

Also the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro and Sennheiser HD 560 S & HD599.

Thanks in Advance!
I have several sets of headphones, including the Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro (highly recommended) and Sennheiser HD6XX's (from Drop), HiFiMan HE4XX (Highly recommended), Audio Technica S700BT), Pioneer HDJ-X5 (waste of money), AKG K240 mk II (pretty good monitoring cans)I, plus a few other cheap headphones. I would highly suggest the Beyer 990's for a neutral monitoring headphone-type. No bloated fake mid-bass, just a clean and clear sound! I love the sound of them. Also highly recommended are the Sennheiser HD6XX's and the HiFiMan HE 4XX's! Each has their strengths, but I particularly love the planar magnetic sound of the HiFiMan's! The HD6XX's (Drop's version of an HD650) is an industry standard. If you want more opinions just say so... :)
 
Last edited:
What are Grado's known for? I hear many who start with a pair of those and become enthralled in audio after hearing the difference Grados make in playback. The cans look so darn small I'm curious if they're comfy regardless of pads, but I'm sure new soft pads help. I've been meaning to check them out as I have 6XX's and ATH M50x's for this range. I too have heard great things about HE X4's.
Revealing is the best word. Good source, good sound. Very light (wood models) .
Grado RS-2 with bigger and more comfortable pads I use most often. grado rs2.jpg
 
^^^^ Grado's (and Alessandro's--which are modded Grados) are--and have always been--very easy to drive. They are all open: leak much sound and isolate almost not at all. Current models of Grado are almost never on sale. Beyond that, it gets a bit complicated for several reasons.

The first is that their are four lines of Grado headphones with different base sound signatures. In addition to that there have been multiple special editions that are not strictly in any of the lines. Second is that there are different generations of Grados, each of which has been a stepped tweak of their sound. Third is that the current and relatively new "x" generation has mixed in (among other changes) a new version flat pad (the "F" cushion) on some models.

The only line of Grado that falls within the $200 limit is the Prestige line. All "x" generation Prestige models feature a new (and presumably more comfortable--or at least less uncomfortable) headband compared to earlier generations. From bottom to top of the Prestige line are the SR-60, SR-90, SR-125, SR-225 & SR-325. Only the first three are within a $200 budget. The SR225, priced at $225, is the first major step up within the SR line. Many find the SR225 to be the best overall can within the Prestige line. The 225 keeps the upgraded cable from the 125 and adds a metal grill, more closely matched drivers and the "F" cushions.

The Prestige line has always had a tight sound stage and high impact that gives you the feeling of sitting on the stage with the band. They are a very good fit with (now classic) rock and electric blues. The brightness has been cut down in the last two generations and they have become more balanced in sound signature at each generational step. Imaging has also improved.

Unless you jump up to the 225, start for $99 with the 60 or spend $125 for the 90. You might also find a left over "e" generation 60 or 90 for less.
 
Last edited:
I have both Grado SR-100's and Hifiman HE-4X. I prefer the sound of the HE-4x. I also found the original Grado cushions very uncomfortable. Replacements from Ear Zonk fixed that problem.
Agree on both counts, Grado's Achille's Heel is comfort, they consider it an option apparently. As for the the HE-4X comfort is not (yet) an issue but like all HFM offerings better order third-party pad replacements in advance due to premature wear, this mostly concerns sub-$2K models however, the reference leagues usually come well endowed in this regard.

I'd wish Grado would ante up its practice of leaving comfort to aftermarket purveyors especially their upper-range models. Exotic woods cups may look fabcy-schmancy but they sure don't feel that smooth on the noggin'. Audeze please pay attention as this concerns you as well. If Focal can make weighty cans feel featherlight so should you or risk diversion of domestic profits to our distinguished French designer buddies.

It's not just because one is uppity that one can't be better than us. They may be finicky and temperamental at times but when French engineers come up with a superior product they stick with it and do their best to improve upon it instead of attempting to convince customers that poor ergonomics in an unavoidable consequence of good performance.

That's BS. Sure the (French car) Citroen DS for all its vanguard approach to modern automotive design 65 years ago was butt-ugly but do we know of any other car that can cross railroad level crossings at 70 mph without occupants noticing anything but a faint ripple on the surface of their glass of Chateau-Lafitte? I don't think so and besides, the successors of the DS had all of its qualities PLUS good looks, if you fancy slight UFO-like styling touches in auto-making. But I digress, Focal phones are hardly ugly (if you like muscular allures), they are comfy AND they still manage to sound awesome on a wider array of sources than most of its few competitors. Gimme comfy performance and I'll lay benjamins on tiny pillows in front of you. Euros are heavy and I'm not growing younger.
 
The Grado SR100, which was in the Grado line about 30 years ago, is long discontinued. While it is true that certain Grado headphones, especially those with the (original) flat pad and plastic headband--namely the SR60, 80 & 125--have garnered a greater than average set of complaints concerning their lack of comfort, it is worth noting that headphone comfort is a very individual thing. Sizing and sensitivities are unique to each person. The new Grado SR "x" line/series has a new headband and I'm interested in what people think of it in terms of comfort.

In my extensive experience with all the lines of Grados over at least 15 years, I find better than average comfort for all generations and headphones that are/were part of the RS and GS lines, the wood cup special editions and the PS500. If I did not wear glasses, all of these cans would be in my top 80% to 90% in terms of comfort.
 
Here’s my brief review of my new Focal Elegia that I’ve had for almost two weeks now. They are still breaking in but they are sounding good to me. Of course they were $369 not $200 so keep that in mind.

The first thing you notice is they are BIG and HEAVY! But as @Caveman Carl mentioned they are comfortable and don’t feel heavy. The ergonomics are well executed. I’m no headphone expert but the Elegia’s have a relatively flat sound. Reviews I’ve read state the bass is on the light side and I’d agree with that. A little boost in the bass is an easy cure if you feel it’s needed. I’ve listened to them with and without the bass boosted and I prefer them flat or maybe just a kiss of added bass. I’ve noticed other headphones with boosted bass giving me a headache so I’m fine with the lighter bass. One nice attribute is the air around vocals. It’s very noticeable around female voices. Overall they sound very balanced with lots of detail like you’d expect from headphones.

One other point on the ergonomics is I prefer one wire running up the left side with the crossover wire in the headband. This is strictly personal preference and the two wires work fine sitting in my dedicated music room. That aspect would be more problematic if I was using them traveling. Again though this is personal preference. Overall I’m very happy with my purchase.
 
Revealing is the best word. Good source, good sound. Very light (wood models) .
Grado RS-2 with bigger and more comfortable pads I use most often. View attachment 2595238
Great to see a photo thanks. Great to hear the endorsements as well I'm thinking Grado's may have to be my next move. Will look for Prestige model ~$125. I have been a little worried about their brightness, but I see feedback overtime has been responded to in Grado's more recent products. Worth a healthy listen for me.
 
^^ The Focal Elegia was a $900 MSRP headphone that still sells on Amazon for $500. The closeout price (at a few or less vendors) of $369 makes it very unfair to compare the quality (sound, build and included accessories) of the Elegia with a $200 headphone. That includes those that fall into this price range because of a commonly seen temporary discounted sale price.
 
Here’s my brief review of my new Focal Elegia that I’ve had for almost two weeks now. They are still breaking in but they are sounding good to me. Of course they were $369 not $200 so keep that in mind.
Still a steal at that price point, Elegia may be the kid sister of all Focal phones (except for the Listen which is not in the same league) but it delivers the goods. One must keep in mind that the Elegia was designed to compete with similarly priced models from the likes of Audeze and Dan Clark Audio, just to name a few.

The first thing you notice is they are BIG and HEAVY! But as @Caveman Carl mentioned they are comfortable and don’t feel heavy. The ergonomics are well executed.
Indeed they are built on a solid pedigree. If one wonders why Focal phones all have the same looks there's your answer. They look like they mean business as Tyl Hertsens reported when he reviewed the Elear circa 2016 iirc, and haven't changed since because there is no reason to do so.

I’m no headphone expert but the Elegia’s have a relatively flat sound.
Indeed they are supposed to sound somewhere between the Elear and Clear would if those were closed-backs. I see too many people compare them with the Stellia which is closed-back but uses beryllium drivers. Stellia has massive bass but cost over $3,000 so the comparison is hardly relevant. What is relevent however is that one would be hard-pressed to find a better designed closed-back under $500 (admittedly PDSF is higher than that figure). Some will bring up the ubiquitous HFM Sundara but it's an open-back planar and not everyone's cup of tea.

Reviews I’ve read state the bass is on the light side and I’d agree with that.
Are you like me? I only read/watch reviews after making the purchase. :D
But on the the other hand I always try before I buy, unless it's a sure shot.

One other point on the ergonomics is I prefer one wire running up the left side with the crossover wire in the headband.
Most upper-end cans use the Y-shaped connectors because it adds less cost to an already expensive item, and because it renders swapping cables more convenient owing to compatibility issues. But the opposite is true when dealing with studio phones, the single connector leaves the right hand unhindered for taking notes and such. It used to be a major irritant for me. But I find that you can avoid the "Y-cable curse" by running the cables over your back instead of front, leaving both hands free.

This shouldn't be a factor in sub-$200 phones though, the great majority of them are single lefties.
 
I have both Grado SR-100's and Hifiman HE-4X. I prefer the sound of the HE-4x.
So do I but with a caveat: the HE-4X is sometimes too revealing for its own good. By that I mean keep it away from poorly recorded or otherwise withered material or weathered electronics because it can be merciless :yikes:
 
The Elegia, like all its upline siblings, is a balanced headphone. Although even more true for headphones that are less efficient than the Elegia, balanced connection to headphone amps and DAP's provide (or at least can provide) audio advantages over the single ended unbalanced only connections of other headphones.

A few single ended studio headphones offer connection to either ear cup.
 
So do I but with a caveat: the HE-4X is sometimes too revealing for its own good. By that I mean keep it away from poorly recorded or otherwise withered material or weathered electronics because it can be merciless :yikes:

Poor recordings are not much of a problem with most classical and jazz releases.

My HE-4x's are used almost exclusively in my bedroom playing FLAC files from a laptop to, a Topping D-10 > Little Dot MKII.

FWIW: My OTG phones (Monoprice M-300) are planar magnetic as are my mains and CC speaker. The rear/surrounds are ESL's.
 
^^^^ Grado's (and Alessandro's--which are modded Grados) are--and have always been--very easy to drive. They are all open: leak much sound and isolate almost not at all. Current models of Grado are almost never on sale. Beyond that, it gets a bit complicated for several reasons.

The first is that their are four lines of Grado headphones with different base sound signatures. In addition to that there have been multiple special editions that are not strictly in any of the lines. Second is that there are different generations of Grados, each of which has been a stepped tweak of their sound. Third is that the current and relatively new "x" generation has mixed in (among other changes) a new version flat pad (the "F" cushion) on some models.

The only line of Grado that falls within the $200 limit is the Prestige line. All "x" generation Prestige models feature a new (and presumably more comfortable--or at least less uncomfortable) headband compared to earlier generations. From bottom to top of the Prestige line are the SR-60, SR-90, SR-125, SR-225 & SR-325. Only the first three are within a $200 budget. The SR225, priced at $225, is the first major step up within the SR line. Many find the SR225 to be the best overall can within the Prestige line. The 225 keeps the upgraded cable from the 125 and adds a metal grill, more closely matched drivers and the "F" cushions.

The Prestige line has always had a tight sound stage and high impact that gives you the feeling of sitting on the stage with the band. They are a very good fit with (now classic) rock and electric blues. The brightness has been cut down in the last two generations and they have become more balanced in sound signature at each generational step. Imaging has also improved.

Unless you jump up to the 225, start for $99 with the 60 or spend $125 for the 90. You might also find a left over "e" generation 60 or 90 for less.
I must admit I have never been impressed with Grados... I listened to a several years ago and they just didn't do it for me. Not to mention the pads are crap... :)
 
Audio Technica ATH-M70x: clean, flat response, good imaging, fast & articulate, good extension (both high and low), very good dynamics.

AKG K701: similar to the ATH, but with a slight rising treble response, slightly rolled off bass, and not quite as dynamic, better soundstage, though.

I didn't read through all five pages of this thread, so I'm not sure if these have already been mentioned.
 
None of my headphones cost OVER $200.00. Haha

Currently I have AKG K245, Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, Shure SRH-240a, Shure SRH-840 and Sony MDR-7506.

I use them each for different things. The Sonys are pretty much used for practicing and recording guitar and bass guitar. They are pretty easy to drive so I use them with my phone sometimes too.

The AKGs are open back with big drivers. They are wonderful for acoustic music and classical.

The A-Ts are excellent general listening phones and the excel with heavier music as their bass response is terrific. Not overly bloated but deep enough that it seems like you can feel it.

The Shure SRH-840s are my go-to for more critical listening from multiple sources. They are super detailed and sound even from top to bottom. Everything sounds good with these headphones.

Most of the time, I am just using the Phones jack on my Marantz 2215b to drive any of these. Works well and sounds great!
 
One vote for the ATH-5x.Lots of solid plastic combined with rigid construction (despite thee Blackstick. Sound good yo boot. Slightly tight-flitting for for most humans though.
 
This seems to be a hotly contested value-for-price point I've seen questioned frequently....Curious as I also hear most of the same suggestions: HFM He4x's, ATH M50x's, Grado's, Sennheisers, and many many more...What exactly are people looking for at this price point?

As a musician I want to make sure I can at LEAST track with accurate sounding playback, then I'd look to see if they're fun enough to watch movies with OR flat enough to mix with...other than those functional questions...headphones under $200 just have to "sound pretty good" to me. Is anyone else able to summarize "the standard" for headphones at this price point??
 
Hope not to "bump" this thread, but have wondered at times if it's a good idea to go used?

In this way, a superior set of HP's might be acquired for what new lesser ones would cost.


Just hoping to help the OP's quest for head gear to satisfy his and my future purchases.


Q
 
Back
Top Bottom