• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best hidden gem?

Unshriven

Active Member
I'd posted earlier about the 'best receiver you ever heard' and got a lot of great responses.

Now I'm curious as to what's the best hidden gem you've uncovered?
For me it would be the Sherwood 7100A...a low power amp but a really good sound. I'm seen them real cheap.
 
Register to hide this ad
Two actually,both sound so good it's hard to tell them apart!:)
#1 Viking SC-5814
#2 Sanyo JCX-2300K
A close second to these two..Aiwa AX-7100
 
Are you talking Receivers?
Definitely my Fisher 500c. The thing was given to me by a friend in terribly condition. I refurbed it (took me over a year) and it's a true gem

Amp?
Realistic SA-1001 Amp that I bought on a clearance table. Can't remember the price, but it was very inexpensive. The amp is the definition of a diamond in the rough. I sometimes marvel it is only 35 watts per channel. It's built like a tank and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Can we add speakers?
I bought a pair of Infinity RS4's brand new for dirt on eBay about 15 or so years ago. I mean dirt cheap. They rival my Klipsch that I paid 10 times the amount for.... actually 20 times more. :(
 
Best hidden gem would have to be my recently acquired Technics SA-818 class A receiver from 1980.It really took me by surprise with it's excellent sound quality,not to mention power!
 
The Fisher 500 is definitely a gem...but hardly hidden...

I think the Marantz 26 is a hidden gem. It is a small form factor, low powered receiver without any special features, but it sounds incredibly airy, punchy and dynamic. I prefer its voicing to the later 4 digit Marantz (Superscope) receivers.

marantzstereoreceivermodel26_1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I restored an old Monarch GS-55 receiver. It came up really well and has a lush warm sound that surprised me. It's a very sweet sounding unit. I hope to use it in a set up one day, but so far it's relegated to being put away in a box.
 
Not a receiver, but an integrated. The Technics SU-V76. It looks more like an old VCR than a piece of hi-fi gear, but I was blown away by the sound.

DSC_3270.jpg
 
Best hidden gem would have to be my recently acquired Technics SA-818 class A receiver from 1980.It really took me by surprise with it's excellent sound quality,not to mention power!
Class A?

110 watts per channel in true class A would get hot as hell, and need huge heat sinks, really huge.

It does have some excellent specs regardless :smoke: and I do believe it must sound very nice :thmbsp:

Edit: Ah, I see, it's one of Technics 'New' Class A circuits.
 
Last edited:
i have an SU-v98 similar to the 76, but 150 wpc…don't try using them with less than 8 ohm speakers.
They get VERY hot!
 
For me it was a Calibre 215 receiver I picked up at Goodwill. The thing was built like a tank. Had a very nice sound to it. I ended up selling it to a coworker. If I run across another one I won't think twice about buying it.
 
Last edited:
Two actually,both sound so good it's hard to tell them apart!:)
#1 Viking SC-5814
#2 Sanyo JCX-2300K
A close second to these two..Aiwa AX-7100

Viking ?
the ones that Eaton dept stores use to sell ?

Never, ever thougt that a Viking receiver could sound good.
But, that's having never heard one.
 
I will throw in the Akai AA-1200 AM/FM Receiver at 120 w/ch.

No cool blue lights but a good higher watt job, at usually a discounted price to the Sansui and Pioneer Marantz receivers.



For more recent receivers, consider the Yamaha R-9 stereo receiver, 1985-87 at 125 w/ch.

It has a Class A or Class AB switch and a Phono input and is all black making it look likes lots of those cheaper all black receivers but is heavy and Yamaha makes good stuff.
Best part it only cost me $8 at a garage sale in Oct. 2013: Not bad as the R-9 listed new for $800!

Charlie
 
Yes Viking can be nice as I got a Viking SS-3585 Rec. for free and it actually sounds quite good (nice clear sound and dynamic) up to not too high volume setting as it's probably under 20W/CH. I think because it has no IC's in the amp helps. . They like Sears I don't think in more recent times made their stuff (maybe never did) and later discovered on the web it's a Samsung under the same model #. From the 70's and built like a tank. I should add it's in a plywood sleeve with a real wood veneer.

Pic in a similar thread post # 80 :

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261140&page=2
 
Last edited:
Are you talking Receivers?
Definitely my Fisher 500c. The thing was given to me by a friend in terribly condition. I refurbed it (took me over a year) and it's a true gem

Amp?
Realistic SA-1001 Amp that I bought on a clearance table. Can't remember the price, but it was very inexpensive. The amp is the definition of a diamond in the rough. I sometimes marvel it is only 35 watts per channel. It's built like a tank and sounds absolutely fantastic.

Can we add speakers?
I bought a pair of Infinity RS4's brand new for dirt on eBay about 15 or so years ago. I mean dirt cheap. They rival my Klipsch that I paid 10 times the amount for.... actually 20 times more. :(

I certainly wouldn't call a 500C a 'hidden' gem...
 
I restored an old Monarch GS-55 receiver. It came up really well and has a lush warm sound that surprised me. It's a very sweet sounding unit. I hope to use it in a set up one day, but so far it's relegated to being put away in a box.

I am also about to put one Monarch GS-55 in the box. I was also surprised with warmth of the sound and FM reception is excellent. Sliding pots, which I hate and I never liked them, in fact work without a problem, and with no spraying or cleaning or anything done to the receiver.

There is a problem, though, maybe somebody may give an advice: The receiver gives (excellent) mono sound on both channels, while without switched to mono, there is only one channel that works - is this a problem on the side of the preamplifier, or amplifier? I am afraid to bring it anywhere here as there is no reliable workshop around. I am not an expert in electronics, but might understand and possibly even repair simple things, so any advice is welcome. Thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Den Haag-20150523-08629.jpg
    Den Haag-20150523-08629.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Den Haag-20150523-08630.jpg
    Den Haag-20150523-08630.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG41940-20150523-1727.jpg
    IMG41940-20150523-1727.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG41941-20150523-1727.jpg
    IMG41941-20150523-1727.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Den Haag-20150523-08632.jpg
    Den Haag-20150523-08632.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG41953-20150523-1732.jpg
    IMG41953-20150523-1732.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 27
Not a receiver, but an integrated. The Technics SU-V76. It looks more like an old VCR than a piece of hi-fi gear, but I was blown away by the sound.

Technics from this era are great performers. I use an SU-V98 integrated and love it -

Picture238.jpg


(not mine)
 
Back
Top Bottom