• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best hidden gem?

For me definitely the Rotel RA-2020 at 60wpc, this one of the smaller unit I have had. Amazingly it had lots of power for a 60wpc, it blew my newer 90wpc Cambridge Audio way in power and sound. Then I picked up a Technics SA-5770 at 165WPC and it blew that away with sound, not in power of course. Having said that the Rotel had all the power I needed then some. Now I looking at the Sansui AU-7900 hoping it would be equal if not better, because I am trading this Rotel as a partial trade for speakers. Hope I don't regret it..
 
I would say my Fluance SX-6 speakers still classify as "hidden" gems. For $130 shipped to your door with a lifetime warrantee, go out and buy a pair to see what all the fuss is about. I'm sure most of you would be glad you did. They kind of killed my search/need for vintage speakers (not all though). You'll be surprised.
 
Viking ?
the ones that Eaton dept stores use to sell ?

Never, ever thougt that a Viking receiver could sound good.
But, that's having never heard one.

Yes Viking.I have 2 of the SC-5814 and 1 SC-5811 and still am looking for the SC-5812 & 5813.
Eaton's had 4 in this SC series the 5811,5812,5813 and 5814.
 
Easiest question to answer in a long time:

Nikko Alpha, Beta, Gamma stack. (Glaring quality in sound.)
 
I could go on and on about the my early 90s Yamaha gear, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was this Optimus STA-2170:

OPTIMUS-STA-2170-Digital-Synthesized-Stereo-Receiver.jpg
 
Sherwood AD 260B integrated amp for me. I got it for 20$ from a guy selling audio out the back of his SUV at a BBQ joint. It works flawlessly, but more important it has been a more than reliable backup for when my other, more valued, vintage stuff fails. I think I have actually listened to this most of the time for the past year ;). It sounds great, doesn't seem to care whether it is driving 4 ohms, 8 ohms, bookshelf speakers or floor models. The phono stage seems good too. It is clearly my least stressful, most easy to use and thus enjoyable component by far!
A
 
I could go on and on about the my early 90s Yamaha gear, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was this Optimus STA-2170:

OPTIMUS-STA-2170-Digital-Synthesized-Stereo-Receiver.jpg

Happen to have the owner’s manual on this? Thinking of buying one and can’t find the manual on the interweb.
 
The Sansui 210. Not sure it was a “hidden gem” but I was sure amazed what I was hearing when I first hooked it up! Crazy clean warm sound, especially after I re-capped it. Yep 10 beautiful sounding watts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: cwh
Luxman R-1120
The Luxman R-1120 has a reputation for being pretty good. ;) Also one of the most expensive receivers of its time. I have the "A" version.

My own nominee for a hidden gem would be the more modest Onkyo TX-2500. Kind of wish I still had it, but I sold it to a co-worker who is enjoying it.
 
Luxman R-1120

Are any 100+ wpc vintage receivers really under the radar anymore?

Unfortunately for me (having just gotten into this hobby) it seems that even the lesser known branded larger vintage receivers aren’t as under the radar as my budget wishes they were!!!
 
Are any 100+ wpc vintage receivers really under the radar anymore?

Unfortunately for me (having just gotten into this hobby) it seems that even the lesser known branded larger vintage receivers aren’t as under the radar as my budget wishes they were!!!

Unfortunately, I think all vintage equipment has been exposed to being good. Be it TOTL or not, it seems to fetch good money and some are hard to come by. IMO some of the lesser wattage amps sound better than the TOTL ones, and folks are starting to figure that out, hence driving the prices up on the mid to bottom of the the line series.
 
I'd posted earlier about the 'best receiver you ever heard' and got a lot of great responses.

Now I'm curious as to what's the best hidden gem you've uncovered?
For me it would be the Sherwood 7100A...a low power amp but a really good sound. I'm seen them real cheap.
Montgomery Ward Model 450. It is essentially an H/K 730 in disguise. Single transformer, but separate windings for the dual (twin) power supplies, and a few other "rearrangements".
MW450 Front.jpg
HK-730 Amplifier Board.jpg
Model 450 Amplifier Board.jpg
 
The Sansui 210. Not sure it was a “hidden gem” but I was sure amazed what I was hearing when I first hooked it up! Crazy clean warm sound, especially after I re-capped it. Yep 10 beautiful sounding watts.
Feel free to shout that from the roof tops....I can't give away my recapped 210.
 
Back
Top Bottom