• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best High Efficiency Speakers

consider the Advent prodigy. Very smooth speaker.
Or even a pair of Infinity RS7. But then it has an emit and the low power might bother it some.
 
I'm in a dorm room the size that you mentioned and am currently using some CV DX-5's set on top of our desks (I know, horrible placement) with a littly DIY sub underneath the desk to make up for the weak bass due to placement.

If you really want to use your little amp and not go with a little bigger speakers, I'd say go for some Tekton's or something similar and maybe add a small sub (I know, I know, that's hersay in a fullrange system, but it will most likely sound more than good enough for someone of this age in a dorm room and take up the least space).

What kind of music do you listen to? That might help us to better narrow down some options for you.

Either way keep coming back and updating us with your decisions.
 
If you get something without the bass extension you can always supplement them with a small powered sub.

I'm liking a set of Klipsch KG-4's I just picked up. They are a skosh bigger than book shelve but not overly large. I bet they would work nice with your fly-weight tubes.

I am also impressed with these Smaller Advents I am listening to at the moment. They are right size for you and they have decent bass extension. But they are not efficient enough for the fly.

I have a pair of Cerwin Vega D-9's for sale at the moment. They have a sensitivity of 101db I think. So the fly could make them sing. To bad they are each the size of a large dorm fridge.

I bet you could find a set of CV D-3's though. They have the same tweeter and mid that the D-9 has but just a 10" bass. They are 94db speakers and avg about $125 a pair.

I have found that the choices are endless.

mikeski...
 
Some excellent suggestions already here.
I rather like my Tannoy 609MKII's (standmounts, not even that efficient) in combination with my +-10Wpc T-amp.



The Miniwatt is a rather nice little unit btw.

Haven't read if you want to buy new or if used is also an option?
This looks like a nice new usa option; http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html
And would also leave a decent amount of money to add a couple of powered subs (which I would do).
 
Omega
Pi speakers
Tekton (I own a pair of Katz Meows. The Mini Lore might be a great choice for you, maybe the Lore depending on variables. Eric Alexander makes good quality stuff)
Zu (I own the standard Omens, might be too big for you. They are $1K new at Music Direct)
Fritz
Klipsch (I own Klipschorns, but might be too big for you unless you make them into your bed, then you'd have all that extra room :) Some of the other models that have been mentioned would probably work well.)
Sonist (might need to find used, the concerto 2 floorstanders sold for $1700 new last year)

I heard the miniwatt driving the Sonist speakers and it sounded fantastic!! I wouldn't sell it. I would do what you are trying to do - Find good speakers that fit your room, budget, and amplifier and begin to enjoy music.

I believe any of the above speaker manufacturers offers a good product that would work great with the miniwatt. I have a 2A3 SET @ 4 watts and a 6L6 SEP @ 8 watts that I drive the KHorns, Tektons and Zus with, works like a champ.

Good luck!
 
BuschHorns (DIY) or The Horn Shoppe horns

I built a pair of the BuschHorns, they're really very nice and go down quite low - I use my versions with a 6-watt amp and they can get plenty loud enough; the Horn Shoppe horns also get rave reviews, they're very space-friendly but also do well in corners or away from the walls, and quite efficient

They're single-driver, rear-loaded horns, so you get "that sound": crossover-less high frequencies from a direct radiator and the lows from the horn loading; quite smooth in the treble, excellent in the midrange, and very good in the bass (not techno-low, you understand, but low enough for the majority of music out there, say, in the ~60-70Hz region)

Just something else to consider, but on balance, 3.5 watts in a dorm room is absolutely do-able with any number of speakers
 
the Horn Shoppe horns also get rave reviews, they're very space-friendly but also do well in corners or away from the walls, and quite efficient


One of the worst speakers I ever heard. Constipated dynamics and a poor tonal balance, all midrange.

My opinion.
 
Sebrof:

How do your Zu and Tekton speakers compare? I'm very interested in the Omens, but haven't been able to read much about them. They're great looking, very efficient, and financially doable. The 60 day guarantee is also great. Thanks for the support of the minwatt. I love it and am enjoying the challenge of finding speakers for it.

The Omegas speakers are another intriguing option. I'll have to look into those, too. The Sonists are quite expensive. I'll have to look around the used market.

Todd:

I wish I could build some speakers, but I don't have the time, space or tools. A good option, though. Thanks
 
Last edited:
Hi Carp,

Welcome to the MADNESS! Seriously, save your money on new. I would suggest just buying a pair of used Klipsch (as suggested) KG4's which often can be found for around $200.00 the PAIR (or less). I once owned a pair of KG 4's and I enjoyed them with low(ish) tube power. You might also consider finding a pair of Klipsch KG 3.2's. I recently found a pair of 3.2's silly cheap. I have them hooked up with my Scott 222D Integrated Amp as part of a small Bedroom system and I have been very impressed with the sound. Best of luck.

Regards,
SixCats!
 
Sebrof:

How do your Zu and Tekton speakers compare? I'm very interested in the Omens, but haven't been able to read much about them. They're great looking, very efficient, and financially doable. The 60 day guarantee is also great. Thanks for the support of the minwatt. I love it and am enjoying the challenge of finding speakers for it.

I haven't heard the Lore or the mini Lore, but my Tekton Katz speakers (8" drivers) are fantastic. I would expect the Lore (10") and mL (8") to be good too.
The Zu speakers are fantastic as well. They give a different presentation than the Katz - Bigger, more dynamic, great for Rock but they still work great for late night chill. I don't think you could go wrong with either the Mini Lore, Lore, or Omen. In fact, I would guess you'd just laugh in disbelief at how much sound and how good the sound you get from that 3.5 watt miniwatt.

One caveat about the Zus: They are 12 ohm speakers. I have a 2A3 SET amp I built a while ago that sounds great with the Katz (8 ohm), better than a 6L6 single ended amp I have. But on the 12-ohm Omens that 2A3 amp was too bright for me, I was struggling to get it to sound right. I dropped the 6L6 in and it sounds darn near perfect. The output of the 2A3 is 8 ohms, the 6L6 says 6-16 ohms. I'm in the process of rewiring the 2A3, maybe get output transformers that are rated at 16 ohms (12 ohms is hard to find I think). I'm not sure what the deal is, but it's a little surprising to me so I thought I should mention it.

But - The Zu Essence is 12 ohms, and Jeff Dorgy at Tone Audio liked the Miniwatt and Essence combo:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-10423476-47.html
"Not convinced? Over at ToneAudio magazine, they hooked up the MiniWatt to a pair of $3,500 Zu Essence tower speakers and were blown away by the sound--so much so that ToneAudio named the amp "Product of the Year" in its budget audio category."

So many speakers, so little time...well, I guess if you are in school that statement is only half right.
Enjoy the hunt
 
To all who recommend selling the miniwatt: It was a gift from my father and its staying.
That said, a dorm is the last place in the world it should be found.

IMO, i wouldn't put anything in a dorm with which i have a serious financial or sentimental attachment. I wouldn't put anything in a dorm that would cause me grief when it becomes among the missing or destroyed.

Just my .02.........................
 
In that price range i would have to go with the Electrovoice Sentry lll. My second choice would have to be Altec Valencia 846Bs both are extremely efficient, and have fantastic dynamics and imaging.
 
That said, a dorm is the last place in the world it should be found.

IMO, i wouldn't put anything in a dorm with which i have a serious financial or sentimental attachment. I wouldn't put anything in a dorm that would cause me grief when it becomes among the missing or destroyed.

Just my .02.........................

Not all dorms are the same. The OP mentioned that it was a kinder, gentler dorm :D
 
Hi Carp,

Welcome to the MADNESS! Seriously, save your money on new. I would suggest just buying a pair of used Klipsch (as suggested) KG4's which often can be found for around $200.00 the PAIR (or less). I once owned a pair of KG 4's and I enjoyed them with low(ish) tube power. You might also consider finding a pair of Klipsch KG 3.2's. I recently found a pair of 3.2's silly cheap. I have them hooked up with my Scott 222D Integrated Amp as part of a small Bedroom system and I have been very impressed with the sound. Best of luck.

Regards,
SixCats!

There are many speakers that would work for the OP. I've mentioned a couple that I have had experience with, don't want to sound like I'm pushing them although I believe they are among the many speakers that he would be happy with. SixCats and others have given excellent suggestions as well.
Buying used is a great way to go, unless you are unfamiliar with different types of speakers, and you are in the middle of NH and can't see touch hear before you buy. Also, I get the impression that the OP doesn't have tools or a work space to do even minor repairs. Many manufacturers will allow returns, which is the main reason I suggested a new pair. The Tektons and Zus are both hand built in the USA (Utah), which is always a beautiful thing.
But saving $800 by buying a good used pair would allow for a pretty extensive music splurge!:music:
I'm not even buying anything and the suspense is killing me.
 
They don't show up used very often, but Goldmund Dialogues can be found for <1000$. Though not super efficient on paper (low 90s), they have friendly impedance and can be driven by 8 watt amps.

Their strength is their wide frequency response and very, very low coloration. A refined, detailed sound that's the polar opposite of something like a Klipsch Heresy.

I'm amazed that they're so little known. A real sleeper. IMO.
 
Most of the speakers from the companies mentioned are quite large. These will be in a very small room, and I'd rather not have two gigantic wooden box in a room that is already quite full.

lascala.jpg


Hey- I resemble that remark, but I'm too pleased with the sound to be offended! I mean seriously, what's wrong with a couple of largish wooden boxes in a small room? Just need to get rid of some other stuff. They are reasonably efficient- you'd like'em.
 
Salparadise: I think they're wonderful wooden boxes and might be great in a small room. However, I do notice that you're not sleeping, studying, and storing three seasons worth of clothes in there! I wish I had space, though.

Sebrof: The Zu speakers are sounding increasingly appealing. Big and dynamic is a sound I like, though the ability to do late night chill is also a must. The Tone Audio review of the Essences and the miniwatt is what originally turned me onto the Zu-Miniwatt pairing. I think they would go well together. I also notice you're a fellow Austinite! Thats my home, too, when I'm not at school. Any audio stores I should check out when I'm home in two weeks? Whetstone doesn't have much in the way of efficient speakers. Great store, though.

Pete B: Those also look like good options. Thanks! I'll have to do some additional research.

Thanks everyone!
 
Back
Top Bottom