• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best high output MC cartridge for Pioneer-PL-570

Will2225

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Im interested in purchasing a High output MC cartridge that could be used with a MM phono stage for my pioneer pl-570. Any recommendations? I've read that the arm is mid to high mass. I've rewired the arm with cardas tonearm wire. My phono preamp is a hagerman cornet I.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sumiko Blackbird HOMC - if you can find them... a great cartridge for the price point. BTW there are far to many variable to indicate "best". Do you have a budget here? Might help get you recommendations your actually interested in and in your price range.
 
Sumiko Blackbird HOMC - if you can find them... a great cartridge for the price point. BTW there are far to many variable to indicate "best". Do you have a budget here? Might help get you recommendations your actually interested in and in your price range.


Your right. My mistake for the lack of information. My budget is under 600 hundred, maybe a bit more depending on if it's worth it.

My current set up is a pioneer pl570 with a nagoaka mp 150 with the mp200 stylus. I'm using a bottlehead crack with beyerdynamic t1gen2 headphones. Also using Wilson audio watt puppy 3.2 speakers with a citation V amp, and a d Sachs model 3 pre amp.
 
Denon DL-110 Would be a nice inexpensive one to try first.

Then Id choose a Sumiko EVO III .

Athanasios

I didn't realize I could use the Denon dl-110 with a moving magnet pre amp. I'll look into that as an option.

I was interested in the Sumiko Evo III but I believe it's been replaced with the Sumiko blue point no III. The blue point no III definitely interests me as an option.
 
Plenty of opinions, and if you are interested in mine, the Denon DL-110 is over priced for what you get. I own one, and when they were new for less then 100 dollars they were worthy of the price. Honestly for the price they retail for today, I don't think they are worth the price they sell for now.
 
Plenty of opinions, and if you are interested in mine, the Denon DL-110 is over priced for what you get. I own one, and when they were new for less then 100 dollars they were worthy of the price. Honestly for the price they retail for today, I don't think they are worth the price they sell for now.

I haven't heard anyone say this before about the Denon and have generally heard quite good things about the cartridge. Interesting to hear a different perspective. Would you recommend the Sumiko blue point III for this table or the Sumiko Evo III if I can find it? Or is there a different cartridge you'd recommend? Unfortunately, I've never heard any MC cartridge before and am definitely interested in upgrading from Moving Magnet.
 
Im interested in purchasing a High output MC cartridge that could be used with a MM phono stage for my pioneer pl-570. Any recommendations?
You have several options, no problem with the tonearm in the PL-570. It depends also on the sound you want to obtain. Talking about the cartridges I own, I'd say that Sumiko BPS and Hana EH (or SH) are more on the bright side: brilliant, airy, detailed. On the other side I'd put Dynavectors. DV-10x5 and 20x2H have a smoother way of portraying music. They are apparently less extended and detailed but definitely more musical, imho.
Talking about money I think Hana is the most affordable for you. And I'd throw in the bunch also the Eroica H from Goldring, even if I don't know it well. Your choice...
 
You have several options, no problem with the tonearm in the PL-570. It depends also on the sound you want to obtain. Talking about the cartridges I own, I'd say that Sumiko BPS and Hana EH (or SH) are more on the bright side: brilliant, airy, detailed. On the other side I'd put Dynavectors. DV-10x5 and 20x2H have a smoother way of portraying music. They are apparently less extended and detailed but definitely more musical, imho.
Talking about money I think Hana is the most affordable for you. And I'd throw in the bunch also the Eroica H from Goldring, even if I don't know it well. Your choice...

I tend to like things to be somewhat on the brighter side, and while I find the current set up to be very musical and enjoyable I think Id like a little more detail so the Hanna or Sumiko sound like good choices. Between the two do you have a preference or are they fairly comparable?
 
Denon DL-110 although it's much more expensive than when I purchased a couple of them. It should fit the bill.
 
Another avenue is finding a used Grace 9 cartridge needing a stylus, and then order the Ruby F9 from Soundsmith, but I would make sure he still is making them but for a MM is sounds very good. And the Stylus is replaceable so as long as he will custom make them.
 
Between the two do you have a preference or are they fairly comparable?
My preference is for the smooth Dynavector, to tell the truth. :D
Between Sumiko and Hana I have a little preference for the Hana, which I find more balanced. The Sumiko is exceptionally extended and detailed but sometimes I find it too much "icy". Be aware I use it with a Japan made direct drive turntable like yours BUT with a full solid state set up. I guess in your set up the Sumiko (and the Hana too) could sound smoother.
Imho, another point to consider is the fact Hana is partially protected by a body, while Sumiko is nude and I find it's easier to accidentally rip the stylus. Moreover it's a little bit tricky to set the proper VTA with the Sumiko. To tell it short, I find it's easier to handle the Hana than the Sumiko.
 
Last edited:
Another Sumiko Blackbird owner here. For less money check out the Bluepoint. The Dynavector 10x is another one to look at.
 
My preference is for the smooth Dynavector, to tell the truth. :D
Between Sumiko and Hana I have a little preference for the Hana, which I find more balanced. The Sumiko is exceptionally extended and detailed but sometimes I find it too much "icy". Be aware I use it with a Japan made direct drive turntable like yours BUT with a full solid state set up. I guess in your set up the Sumiko (and the Hana too) could sound smoother.
Imho, another point to consider is the fact Hana is partially protected by a body, while Sumiko is nude and I find it's easier to accidentally rip the stylus. Moreover it's a little bit tricky to set the proper VTA with the Sumiko. To tell it short, I find it's easier to handle the Hana than the Sumiko.

That's good to know. I definitely don't want to ruin the stylus so maybe I'll choose the Hana. I really do like the smooth more musical sound of my nagoaka cartridge compared to an old 2m blue I use to have.

I'm following an online auction for a grace 9 cartridge and depending on how high it goes I think I'll try to get it.

Which dynavector do you have? Any recommendations on which one I should choose? I'm just wondering if it will be an improvement over the nagoaka cartridge I have. One thing I like about the pioneer pl570 is the removable headshell, so now I can easily swap cartridges compared to my vpi HW19 which is a pain to adjust and set up.
 
Which dynavector do you have?
A DV10x5 and a DV20x2H. I find the first easier to handle because it's lightweight in comparison to the other. Plastic body vs. metal body. Two grams difference only but in my tonearm I have to push the counterweight way far from the pivot with the DV20. While, if I install the additional counterweight at the end of the wand, I can't set the proper VTF.
 
A DV10x5 and a DV20x2H. I find the first easier to handle because it's lightweight in comparison to the other. Plastic body vs. metal body. Two grams difference only but in my tonearm I have to push the counterweight way far from the pivot with the DV20. While, if I install the additional counterweight at the end of the wand, I can't set the proper VTF.

Those both look like two very good high end cartridges. Unfortunately they were a little more than I wanted to spend so I ended up bidding on a grace F9L cartridge and just won it tonight on that auction site.

I managed to get it for what I think is a pretty fair price so if it ends up not being an improvement over the nagoaka mp200 I'm not out of too much cash. I should probably start a new thread, but does anyone have opinions on the grace f9L? It's the one with the gold and black body. I'll probably end up ordering the replacement Ruby stylus for it if there are any still in stock.
 
Back
Top Bottom