• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best integrated amp with phono stage for $1000 or less?

Dreddz

New Member
I had recently purchased a vintage Luxman L80V on recommendation from a friend and the unit arrived not fully functional. I was luckily able to return it and now I’m back to square one.
I spoke with a salesman of a reputable hifi shop over the phone and he recommended a Yamaha AS701 as a good choice in the price range. I’ve been researching quite a bit and have been met with many contenders and am having a hard time pinpointing what the “best” option for the money is.
Some info that may help:
It’s my primary system for a medium size living room, the amp would be mostly used for vinyl playback so a somewhat decent phono stage would be a factor *I know external is the way to go but I want something I can enjoy in a single unit for now*, I’m using an Ortofon Blue 2M cart so something that will fair okay with the cart would be something to consider, and I typically listen to soul/jazz/ and world music. I do not currently know what speakers I’ll be driving but would like to have some open options for speakers also around the $800 price range. Sufficient bass along with a warm but detailed sound stage would be the goal I suppose. I want a pretty honest representation of the recording but I don’t think I’d enjoy an overly cold analytical sound. Harsh hi end is the thing I’d like avoid.

Should I be less concerned with power and go with something highly regarded at 50 watts, or aim for 100 watts like the Yamaha mentioned which also seems to have great reviews. Any suggestions on make and model would highly appreciated. Potential speaker pairings would be an added plus. Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Too bad that Luxman didn't work out for you, it's a beautiful amplifier.

I've gone through many solid state integrated amplifiers from the 1960's and 1970's and have found that those which have output capacitors sound the best to my ears, especially with Jazz recordings. Direct coupled amplifiers sound a bit too dry for my taste. Your choice of speakers will have a huge impact on the sound, maybe more so than the amplifier.

That said, finding a cap-coupled integrated amplifier that has been restored properly will be tough. Lately I've been using mostly solid state preamplifier with tube power amplifier which goes against what many recommend but it's the best combination for the sound I prefer.
 
Last edited:
I've been very happy with a Yamaha A-S801, which can be found 'open box' for ~$750 on ebay or from amazon for $850 right now. 100wpc/8ohms, a very good internal DAC and a functional phono pre. You noted a preference for a phono pre integrated into an amp you might buy, but you're going to find MUCH better sound from your record player by using an external phono pre. There are very good options for $100, U-Turn Pluto 2, Schiit Mani, ifi Zen Air, others.

You are not going to find many better better options, IMO, than the A-S801 (previous model the A-S701) in this price range.

However, the Cambridge CXA61 and CXA81 can be found as open-box and/or refurbs from Cambridge Audio (with warranty) on their ebay store for under your price. No phono pre, but again the MUCH better option is almost always to go external on the phono pre anyway.

Last, the NAD 316bee V2 can be had for $300-400 and includes a serviceable phono pre, but pumps out 40wpc/8ohms so a little less power at a very nice price.

I currently own the Cambridge CXA81 and Yamaha A-S801 and consider them both to be phenomenal and among the best values in audio. I previously owned the NAD 316bee and it too was a wonderful piece of gear.
 
Recently picked up a Denon pma 1600 at that price point (b stock) - it's nice.

Another rec for much less... Rotel RA 06 new old stock on the auction site. Both are 70 wpc both with good phono stages. For the money the Rotel is an excellent deal all things considering.
 
You might be able to find a Lentek integrated within your price range, it has supposedly one of the best phono stages in an integrated.

02_705543c0.jpg
 
Why not buy the Integrated Amp you want and add one of these small and /or inexpensive phono preamps:


You can find a used Parasound Halo 2.1 Channel Integrated Amp & DAC for under a grand that has a pretty decent phono stage built in. (I use Parasound equipment for almost everything)
 
Back
Top Bottom