• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Best Vintage Preamp

For a preamp/tuner I have an ADCOM GTP400. The tuner section works well... it's a shame I live in an area in Mass with few FM stations. It retailed for $400 in 1988.
When I went for a vintage power amp, I decided to go safer, and I bought a NAD C272 which retailed for about $700 new.
Nothing exotic, but they both got good reviews when they were new.
 
I just got a Mitsubishi DA-P20, sound nice, got it for a good price.
a tone control set for each side, make no sense but whatever
The preamp is a Dual Monaural construction, what does it mean ?

P1130510.jpg


View attachment 2848233

Mitsubishi-DA-P-20-Front-25.jpg
Well it's supposed to mean there's 2 power supplies, and 2 separate amps that aren't connected. Usually they actually had 1 transformer, and separate circuit boards.
 
Pioneer Elite c90.
Bimonoaural construction, electrical separation of the two Channels, 3 transformers which was unusual even in the 80s. Many more expensive preamps didnt have 3 transformers and separate power supplies. High grade components. Maybe not the Best, but one of best

Phono section has 2 step up transformers which is Real non compromise construction. Separate transformers in phono was unusual even in the 80s. Today step up transformers in phono are seen in High end

Definitely pioneers non compromise construction. Well, it was Elite after all



OMWuv8l.jpg
blog_import_5d5fcc6ee1b9b.jpeg

DSC09864.jpeg

Measures. Approx 1V - 0.0056 % thd
 
Last edited:
Never saw phono step up transformers without shielding before. Are they used for MC carts?

BillWojo

This is pioneers c90 phono stage. It employs a hybrid MC transformer system that combines an MC transformer with half the conventional winding ratio and an equalizer amplifier with a higher gain for the reduced boost ratio.

thumbs_DSC09784.jpeg
 
Ok, they look like well shielded transformers, I thought the transformers in the middle pic above were what you were referencing. Yes, it looks like a very nice unit.

BillWojo
 
I'm wondering what people think is a good vintage preamp?

I have a Mcintosh C40 in my office and I like that, although I don't think it qualifies as vintage (c. '92-'98). Downstairs I am building a more vintage system for the "pool room" (unfinished corner of my basement where the pool table is...the stereo sits on an old workbench. Not fancy but dry and clean).

So far I have a Yamaha YP-D71 turntable and A/D/S L 1290 II speakers. I want to use a "replica" Dynaco ST-70 that I have, so I am sort of looking around for a vintage preamp.

I always used integrateds back in the day so I don't have much experience with preamps.

Needs phono!

Opinions? Thanks!
The preamp in the Kenwood KA-7300 has Accuphase written all over it. The amp section was very good but the preamp is exceptionally wonderful.
 
The preamp in the Kenwood KA-7300 has Accuphase written all over it. The amp section was very good but the preamp is exceptionally wonderful.

It's great for one built into a midline integrated amp, I'm currently using one as the preamp for our bedroom system with a Soundcraftsmen MA-5002 driving the 3.2 ohm AR's
IMG_20230826_093938166_HDR.jpg


I've used it as a preamp in other setups and as an integrated amp and it really is best when used as an integrated, if I were looking for a dedicated preamp I wouldn't look at integrated amps.

Don't take that the wrong way, I really really like the 7300, I've recommended it many times to others looking for a nice vintage silver faced integrated amp. It has a competent MM phono stage, decent power, accurate but not sterile sound quality, and looks great especially with the optional rack handles.

When the Klipsch Heresys were in here the Kenny provided the power also and was outstanding.
 
The cost/performance tradeoff on vintage preamps has never struck me as that great. The better ones seem way out of line (ARC) and the cheap ones aren't that great. There were some common names like Yamaha and such, but the better ones don't seem to show up as often as one might like.

I'm working on a PAT-4 right now and have a few mods that really clean it up. The problem with any Dynaco preamps is that the controls, jacks and construction aren't very good to begin with. The PAT-4 is also annoying to work on because you have to desolder all the wires to get the boards out. At their age, you have to replace every single resistor and e-cap in them to have a hope of accuracy, particularly RIAA. You could easily put 8-20 or more hours into tuning up an old PAT-4. I'd never pay much for old Dynaco stuff, but I seem to be in the minority. PM me if you want a prelim copy of my mods.

The Crown IC-150A has a terrible reputation for SQ, but it's built well and uses decent parts. You have to like that retro look with chrome. I think it could be easily upgraded to much better performance. I've had a couple but foolishly sold them. The IC-150A used a very failure prone Raytheon voltage regulator, but that's easily dealt with. The IC-150 (no A) seems to be held in a bit higher esteem for SQ, but I've no experience with them. The ones I bought were inexpensive, but I've no idea what the going rate is today.

Probably rarer than hens teeth, but sonically decent, is the Ace Audio preamp from the '70s. It was minimalist, especially the "zero distortion" model, which just eliminated the buffer stage. The RIAA section was a 2-transistor affair very similar to the Dynaco. At that point it was mostly a selector switch and a volume pot in a box! I have schematics for that somewhere if anybody want's 'em.

If one has any DIY skills, you can build a 1st rate preamp for very little. I'd start with the app note on LME opamps from National/TI. I use something similar in my system and it has very few flaws.
I had an IC-150 a long time ago. Line stage was mediocre, what with it being just a bog-standard jellybean op amp. Phono stage, a discrete design, was decent.
 
I have a 90s era VAC CLA1 MKII dual mono Tube Pre that is very good. Mine rarely sees any playtime anymore and has a little socket hiss. I have been thinking about sending it back to Kevin for a refresh to increase the value.
 
I had an IC-150 a long time ago. Line stage was mediocre, what with it being just a bog-standard jellybean op amp. Phono stage, a discrete design, was decent.
Seems like the IC 150 had a sspecial volume control that goes bad and is hard to replace. I was given one that's missing the VC because it was removed to repair another..
 
Seems like the IC 150 had a sspecial volume control that goes bad and is hard to replace. I was given one that's missing the VC because it was removed to repair another..
I ultimately gutted mine, kept the phono section as is, and put in my own line section with discrete BJTs. That made it listenable.
 
Phono stage, a discrete design, was decent.
We had a phono stage shootout with the Heed Quasar, later Crown DL-2 Phono Module "B"(50-70dB gain for LOMC), Pass Pearl 2 and Musical Fidelity AC-1 moving coil preamplifier into SP-9 phono. The Crown came in second and is the standard phono stage in my rig. Use it instead of the ARC with SUT. I've added the "A" (30-50dB for MM) and "C" designed to be used with the SL-2 preamp to my fleet. They work and sound very nice.
 
Reading all the posts in this thread was interesting. The OP never replied with what they wound up using for a preamp for the ST70.

I run an updated Apt Holman that I recently purchased with my ST70 and think it is a very good combination, my vinyl has never sounded better.

Was glad to see the Apt mentioned many times in this thread.
 
Back
Top Bottom