• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

BIGGEST vintage amp/receiver ever made

OH MY ..............................

I HAD NO IDEA SUCH BEASTS EXISTED!!!???:sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: :sigh:
 
not sure it has a place here... but for shear power I have on my bench (waiting for some dummy loads to come in) a QSC USA 1300 amp. Its rated a as being able to drive 1000 watts per channel into two 2 ohm loads at 1% THD.

Given to me by a neighbor with some JBL MR series speakers.

I know thats not really hi fi.. but is a heck of a lot of VU!!!!!!!

Steve
 
Glen B said:
Therein lies a problem. Its like gear that is 10-20 years old has no place anywhere. No old enough to be considered vintage at AK and too old to be recognized as current at other forums. The "middle-aged" just fall right through the cracks.

Ever heard a comment like "Geez, I'f I'd only known 'bck then" what these things would be going for, I would have stockpiled a bunch of them"? Usually, the best time to do so is when those things are in the "in-between" period: old enough to be considered "old junk", but not yet old enough to be "collectible vintage/antiques". That is where the real bargains lie, and the best potential for appreciation.

That general truth MAY be offset somewhat by the fact that production technologies change, not always for the better (aluminum faceplates replaced by plastic, for example), but it is still worth considering. It might be the best time today to be stocking up on selected items from the eighties and nineties. Rarer and "iconic" boomboxes from the early eighties, for example, are already reaching mid three figure sums at auction. Just a few years ago they were still cheap [and occasionally still are at garage sales and such, but not as easily-found as they used to be]. I remember when kidney-shaped tables and "Eames" chairs were so unfashionable they could be picked free from the trash sometimes, and today those command "silly money". What is next? Probably some things from that "between" time period. Worth pondering, perhaps...
 
I remember an amp from the '60s all vacuum tube that produced 1000Watts per channel. Well actually it was a Mono amp, you needed two for Stereo. It was in one of the electronic magazines as a u build it. It utilized 8 count um 8 KT-88's as outputs.

Should have built a couple.
 
CDFixer said:
I remember an amp from the '60s all vacuum tube that produced 1000Watts per channel. Well actually it was a Mono amp, you needed two for Stereo. It was in one of the electronic magazines as a u build it. It utilized 8 count um 8 KT-88's as outputs.

Should have built a couple.

Years ago, at a tube stereo friend's house, I spied what looked like one the THE largest guitar amp heads I'd ever seen. Meandered over and saw this absolutely massive Western Electric hunk of iron, and I think 8x KT88's....Then I noticed on the side of the somewhat beatup exterior, it said, "Steve Miller Band"

Great memories...
 
I have two Soundcraftsmen Pro Power 10 SS amps.

Each one can be configured to do 600x600 into 8 ohms.

I have one configured just that way powering Polk RTI12's L/R

The other one is in three channel mode running my RTI12 center with 600 watts and my two FXI5's rears at 240 WPC.

XJRGUY
 
Back
Top Bottom