• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Blank Cassette Tape

Brian4561

Active Member
I'm in the process of having my cassette deck repaired and so I need to get hold of some blank cassettes to record music onto. It has been a looooong time since I purchased blank cassettes and, when I did, there were all sorts of tapes available.

Now, not so much. So, I was wondering what kind of cassettes you guys use to record music with. I was hoping for something in current production if possible, since I don't really want to hunt for, and pay the prices for, vintage tapes.

The deck I have has a high-bias setting, and also has two speed capability. I was thinking of using longer tapes, so that I could record using the higher speed. Of course, I don't know how long of a tape I would need to fit an album side on a tape side at the higher speed.

Any thoughts?
 
Register to hide this ad
Your right the choices of good tapes is alot smaller now than in the past. My suggestion is to buy Type II chrome tapes, my favorite is TDK SA90's but I've had good luck with Maxell XLII 90's. Buy alot, as I personally think those are going to go away in another couple of years.

As for recording in the higher speed, that might be cool, but if that deck ever dies, you'll have to find another one just like it since hardly any cassette decks have the higher speed 3-1/2" speed.

Take care, Mike
 
I just found that Walgreen's drug stores carry the Maxell XLII 90's for about $1.50 each. My local store has them in boxes of 10 but no discount for the box. I plan to buy a box or two every payday for awhile. Enjoy!
 
pioneernut said:
Your right the choices of good tapes is alot smaller now than in the past. My suggestion is to buy Type II chrome tapes, my favorite is TDK SA90's but I've had good luck with Maxell XLII 90's. Buy alot, as I personally think those are going to go away in another couple of years.

As for recording in the higher speed, that might be cool, but if that deck ever dies, you'll have to find another one just like it since hardly any cassette decks have the higher speed 3-1/2" speed.

Take care, Mike

You are absolutely right. I used to have a BIC T3 deck that recorded in 2 speeds and when it died about 6 years ago, I got stuck with a bunch of tapes that wouldn't play on any other deck.
 
jazzwolf said:
You are absolutely right. I used to have a BIC T3 deck that recorded in 2 speeds and when it died about 6 years ago, I got stuck with a bunch of tapes that wouldn't play on any other deck.

This happend to me, too! I ended up dubbing them on to R-R @ 3.34 and playing them @ 7.5. Not exactly elegant, but gets the job done.
 
Don't know if it's my area but I've been finding plenty of wrapped & sealed cassette tapes at the thrift stores and not just the cheap junk. Got these for for a buck each last week.
IMG_20230625_065106233.jpg
 
I love checking to see if any of the original posters are still around, nope, not this time.....

Great find ARC, I just saw some 90's TDK NOS at the flea market today, I've got more than enough for now (famous last words).
 
Check out the RTM Fox if you want a new tape.
If your deck is aligned properly and is a decent performer, you should get great results on most NOS type 1s, so don't immediately go hunting for type 2 or type 4 tapes wich are more expensive.
A good type 1 will give out excellent results.
 
Recently after scavenging around local groups, flea markets and thrift stores I got about ~100 NOS Maxel URs and Memorex DBSes :D
Not 100% sure what I going to do with all them :D
But cannot pass on free and cheapo cassette tapes !
 
Back
Top Bottom