• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 601 "owner" opinions please

I'll have to work on mine more tonight. Telling the wife Bose before hoes probably won't win me any points though.
 
Series ll, Series l (left)
I've always liked the looks of the II better. Best? I don't know cause some of the latter designs were nice too. The Series II definitely parted from the more "traditional" designs typical of Bose, and many other manufacturers.
 
I asked Celt if he would consider combining the thread I started with this one....I didnt search the forum for Bose 601 when I opened the thread...my bad-
 
Now witness the power of this fully operational Bose 601 Series II.

Got the left one running, it's got the two woofers with the mouse damage repair. Need to break it in, but so far it's working and sounding good!

Now to finish the re-foam on the right!
 

Attachments

  • P8111271.jpg
    P8111271.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 35
Now witness the power of this fully operational Bose 601 Series II....Got the left one running, it's got the two woofers with the mouse damage repair. Need to break it in, but so far it's working and sounding good!
Hilarious! This news is most pleasing- I'm assuming the tweets are in good shape. I noticed some decay on the rearward facing tweets of my sll...appears to be from sunlight- I just remembered that I want to look into the cabinet to see if bracing needs to be employed. Also, I'm really not super keen on the fiberglass insulation with that big port hole...Do you reckon I can squeak by using the poly batting from fabric stores, or should I slice & dice some egg crate foam? If I use the foam, I will glue nylon screening to the rear of the baskets-

On a side note, the 12 band EQ can & will always add more magic if you really listen. But the key is to not have to concentrate on listening. Magic should be easily heard, not focused- So now I'm on two distinct bashing misnomers..Bose & the use of any Equalizer
 
Last edited:
I just tore in the cab of my sll....the lower woofer compartment was stuffed with combo of poly & fiber....the pyramid phase lll is quite heavy & is 4 ohm...the top woofer is a RS 40-1016A model...50w RMS, 100w Max 8ohm...
Now, with the two rear tweeters showing a slight sign of decay around the edges, I'm on a level of considering using this as an experiment...looking at all facets of this design, save the xover...haven't torn into the sl yet to examine its contents/properties-
 
So in my series II's, both the front woofer compartment has polyfill and the main compartment does too. The main compartment had 5.7 ounces. I took out the old fill, weighed it, and put in the same amounts as the original. I'm just using a 100% polyester filling. If you have a JoAnn fabrics, you can buy a 32 ounce bag for $9.99, and use a 40% off coupon to save some bucks (they have coupons on their website and smartphone apps). I'd just use poly and avoid fiberglass. The only fiberglass that was in my bose were the round circles used to insulate the tweeter protection lamps. I spray glued them back onto the plastic of the upper woofer area so they wouldn't fly off and wind up somewhere else in the cabinet.

I have one tweeter that has some of the decay on it's surrounds as well, and one tweeter that has a punched in dustcap (why do people love to push in the middle of speakers.. it's like a shiny red button begging to be pressed..)
 
Now witness the power of this fully operational Bose 601 Series II.

Got the left one running, it's got the two woofers with the mouse damage repair. Need to break it in, but so far it's working and sounding good!

Now to finish the re-foam on the right!
"...Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you conjure up ..." uh, sorry having a relapse.

That's cool.

Homebody, on the subject of insulation, there have been many discussions on this, however there was a relatively scientific test performed and Fiberglass won hands down. If I find the link I post. If you are concerned about glass being thrown into the air, I'd simply place some of the poly inside the opening of the port and leave it at that.

I don't believe I have those RS drivers, but I'll check. Mine are good, excellent foams, and might be fun just to test till I acquire a replacement woofer.

On the subject of merging, no worries. Mine was seeking "opinions", while yours is more about the experience. I'll continue to post to mine for continuity, but cross linking wouldn't hurt.

Becoming a fun project, though I'm not enjoying dis-assembly just to clean them. Oh well.
 
So in my series II's, both the front woofer compartment has polyfill and the main compartment does too. The main compartment had 5.7 ounces. I took out the old fill, weighed it, and put in the same amounts as the original. I'm just using a 100% polyester filling. If you have a JoAnn fabrics, you can buy a 32 ounce bag for $9.99, and use a 40% off coupon to save some bucks (they have coupons on their website and smartphone apps). I'd just use poly and avoid fiberglass. The only fiberglass that was in my bose were the round circles used to insulate the tweeter protection lamps. I spray glued them back onto the plastic of the upper woofer area so they wouldn't fly off and wind up somewhere else in the cabinet.

I have one tweeter that has some of the decay on it's surrounds as well, and one tweeter that has a punched in dustcap (why do people love to push in the middle of speakers.. it's like a shiny red button begging to be pressed..)
We may never know the dust cap issue. See adults do this too. Crazy.

The speaker grill material they sell works fine too. Used it to renovate my friend DCM-600 speakers. Worked great.

I'm wondering about using either latex, rubber cement, silicone or similar around the perimeter of the cone? Thoughts?
 
Are the woofers per cabinet in or out of phase of each other? Or could they be wired parallel...? Since the complete system is 8 ohm, my bad math tells me that the tweets are 1ohm wired in series, while the (2) woofers are 4 ohm are??? I'm in the middle of a huge chicken platter at the moment-

Waiting for this thread to be hijacked by the bashers-
 
Now witness the power of this fully operational Bose 601 Series II.

Got the left one running, it's got the two woofers with the mouse damage repair. Need to break it in, but so far it's working and sounding good!

Now to finish the re-foam on the right!

That's a hell of a job, and from the pic, I'll be damned if I see the repair.

I'm wondering about using either latex, rubber cement, silicone or similar around the perimeter of the cone? Thoughts?

I'd use aleene's tacky glue, warmed, and spread with perhaps a small spoon or finger.
 
Are the woofers per cabinet in or out of phase of each other? Or could they be wired parallel...? Since the complete system is 8 ohm, my bad math tells me that the tweets are 1ohm wired in series, while the (2) woofers are 4 ohm are??? I'm in the middle of a huge chicken platter at the moment-

Waiting for this thread to be hijacked by the bashers-


I seriously doubt they are out of phase. There'd be no sound at all.

As for Bose bashers, they beat a hasty retreat in this thread. 601's are good speakers, Bose rep be damned.
 
From looking at the wiring and the schematic, the woofers are 4 ohms each wired in series in phase with each other (to give you 8ohms at the terminals). I'd have to look at the tweets.
 
I agree with the tacky glue. I used it on the repair for the mouse eaten sections of my cones. You could soak some coffee filters in thinned out tacky glue and use it to repair the tweeter surrounds (or soak some tissue/toilet paper). The coffee filters are stronger but a little thicker. Then just it them with the Kiwi black leather shoe polish.

I used the polish on all my woofers/tweets to make them look new!

We may never know the dust cap issue. See adults do this too. Crazy.

The speaker grill material they sell works fine too. Used it to renovate my friend DCM-600 speakers. Worked great.

I'm wondering about using either latex, rubber cement, silicone or similar around the perimeter of the cone? Thoughts?
 
...As for Bose bashers, they beat a hasty retreat in this thread. 601's are good speakers, Bose rep be damned.

My series l with the STA-2080 have played nonstop since I hooked them up after delivery Friday. From Miles Davis to Steely Dan to Tchaikovsky to various R&B from the 70's.....various DVDs....its all been extremely good and has brought alot of peace to my home & hobby.
 
From looking at the wiring and the schematic, the woofers are 4 ohms each wired in series in phase with each other (to give you 8ohms at the terminals). I'd have to look at the tweets.
If I'm reading the schematic correctly, tweets are paired in series, then the pairs are in parallel. As I get these buggers apart I'll get T/S readings for all the drivers. That will help dispel rumors, conjecture, etc. It will also give people a "reference" spec to use for (non Bose) replacement drivers.

Aleens may be a good option.
 
Copa, I've used aleene's many times. It has flexible properties, and dries firmly. I've repaired speakers others thought were ruined. Coffee filter works great, I prefer to give a light coat on both sides, let dry, and then use a sharpie to color, tho shoe polish is probably better.
 
If I'm reading the schematic correctly, tweets are paired in series, then the pairs are in parallel. ...
And now for the combination that brings Sl and Sll to a total of 8ohms....Gents, it is becoming apparent that we have our great thread going. This calls for a rebel yell....I raise my glass-

Now a tasteful listening room must have tasteful lighting, right? Check my listings here if AK allows this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151381027988?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom