• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 601 "owner" opinions please

Since Jaymanna leads AK with posts (46k and counting) I see that avatar quite often.

With the amount of members we have, it's gonna happen.
 
Tried raising the speakers way off the floor...I don't have anything around yet for 18-20 inch riser, a corner end table roughly +28" revealed a whole new speaker. Who says...No Highs No Lows....that phrase coined by the tone deaf for sure! This pair is outshining my entire collection for the room size....
 
Second person to state that raising them did serious good.

Will be applying milk crates to the bases tonight.
 
Got two woofers re-foamed, going to test tonight and do the other two.

Also, I found a PDF with the schematics and service info for the 601 series II. I'm attaching it. I need it to wire everything back up since I had to remove a lot of stuff.
 

Attachments

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY!! Series II's for the win!!

Great score, man. Glad you got those.

I removed the fuse entirely, replaced two of the resistors (wire coming out is VERY brittle) and left the mexican poly caps.

The sound is NOT dull, and very enjoyable.

I have them a foot from the back wall, 3 feet from each side wall, and the sound is simply thrilling.

Copa, can't wait til you get those rocking, my friend. :thmbsp:
Boy these things are filthy. They were in storage for years. Poor guy went through a divorce and some stuff got mixed up so he had to sort through that. Sounds like his new GF is pretty cool. Really cool guy. We spoke for quite a bit. Apparently she likes to smoke cigars in the Man Cave. She however doesn't listen to music and concert level like he does, but she does like is audio stuff. She works in a prosecutors office and apparently doesn't take crap from anyone.

I'm going to disassemble these. Only way I'm going to be able to clean them up properly.
 
First thing I did was take the plastic bits off and soaked them in the tub with copious drops of Dawn.

Then I soaked the grills in the water as well, they cleaned up quite nice.

Q-tips and patience did the rest. The vinyl responds well to a simple carnuba based wax, in my case I used some extra stuff I got for christmas, not a paste, but a liquid wax. Worked splendidly.
 
Tried raising the speakers way off the floor...I don't have anything around yet for 18-20 inch riser, a corner end table roughly +28" revealed a whole new speaker. Who says...No Highs No Lows....that phrase coined by the tone deaf for sure! This pair is outshining my entire collection for the room size....
Awesome!
 
Got two woofers re-foamed, going to test tonight and do the other two.

Also, I found a PDF with the schematics and service info for the 601 series II. I'm attaching it. I need it to wire everything back up since I had to remove a lot of stuff.
Freaking awesome! This is going to help a lot.

Thanks for posting that!
 
Freaking awesome! This is going to help a lot.

Thanks for posting that!
Interesting, going by the docs I have the "Three terminal" schematic. Weird. Also in the document it mentions that the three terminal is the early version. I also noticed that the later version schematic doesn't show the tweeter lamp protectors. Someone who owns the Series II late model can chime in.

Both have two pair wired in series, then wired in parallel. The diagram doesn't indicate, nor the parts list, what the R1, R2, C1, C2 values are, so I'll update the diagram when I get that far so others can reference it. I won't, of course, be able to do the later models since I don't have one for reference.

And by later model we're not referring to Series III, IV, etc. There were early and late model Series II according to the document.
 
First thing I did was take the plastic bits off and soaked them in the tub with copious drops of Dawn.

Then I soaked the grills in the water as well, they cleaned up quite nice.

Q-tips and patience did the rest. The vinyl responds well to a simple carnuba based wax, in my case I used some extra stuff I got for christmas, not a paste, but a liquid wax. Worked splendidly.
Good, you confirmed what I suspected. My grills look awful so the soaking sounds like a plan. Appreciate the input from someone who's "been there, done that". ;)
 
About 3 minutes, then sloshing them back and forth, and finally rinsing with the shower head.

Worked fabulously.

And if you have one of those sweater "nap" removers that shave off nits and naps, they work great to trim up those grills.
 
Got two woofers re-foamed, going to test tonight and do the other two.

Also, I found a PDF with the schematics and service info for the 601 series II. I'm attaching it. I need it to wire everything back up since I had to remove a lot of stuff.

Oowwsome!! I'll open up my series ll tonite to check for the filament bulb. It has three terminals....
 
Last edited:
About 3 minutes, then sloshing them back and forth, and finally rinsing with the shower head.

Worked fabulously.

And if you have one of those sweater "nap" removers that shave off nits and naps, they work great to trim up those grills.
Got the shower head with hose, so that will work fine. I can always try my beard trimmer.

Amazing, two active threads going on the 601 speakers. Fun eh?
 
Since both woofers have been replaced in my series ll, I can't say that someone didn't play with the xover. But here's what mine currently looks like- two filaments-

https://www.facebook.com/601series?ref=hl
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20140811_150501_945.jpg
    IMG_20140811_150501_945.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20140811_150513_791.jpg
    IMG_20140811_150513_791.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20140811_150715_275.jpg
    IMG_20140811_150715_275.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I know, I thought I was imagining two different threads, and was getting confused.

These speakers are truly much better than Bose typically gets credit for.

And I have the three terminal as well. Supposed to be some add-on thing that Bose never got around to adding on.
 
Series ll board via google, which I see (I believe) two on my board...help clarify here-
 

Attachments

  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 30
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 23
  • $_57 (3).jpg
    $_57 (3).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 21
  • $_57 (11).jpg
    $_57 (11).jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom