• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 601 "owner" opinions please

....Heck, I still have a pair of 501 I'm working on. Original woofers gone. I have some nice RS poly woofers that spec out correctly for the same size cabinet.

Copa- give me the outside cab dims of those 501s & the model woofer you found as the suitable replacement- thanks
 
Maybe on the 901's

I'd love to know more, pics, feedback on sound, etc.

I sold my 601's, in fact, I only had 501's and wanted 601's ... sold the 501's and well, I have a 901 series 6 and a series 1, I may fit softdomes in the series 1 and try it.

May not get anything scientific out of it, just a general impression.

Cool.
Srinath.
 
I sold my 601's, in fact, I only had 501's and wanted 601's ... sold the 501's and well, I have a 901 series 6 and a series 1, I may fit softdomes in the series 1 and try it.

May not get anything scientific out of it, just a general impression.

Cool.
Srinath.
If you haven't rebuilt the EQ I'd start there first. I have three EQ's that I tested with my 901 (first gen) and the newest of the three clearly sounded the best. There was in fact a progression of improvement going from oldest (based on serial number) to newest (series II). I haven't rebuilt my First Gen EQ's yet, but I've read MANY posts by people who have and noticed a huge improvement all over, including imaging.
 
Copa- give me the outside cab dims of those 501s & the model woofer you found as the suitable replacement- thanks
I'll do so, but I'll also provide internal dimensions, which is more important. If you check PE you'll find they have, included with specs, the suitable box volume for their drivers. This has been a welcome addition to their listings.
 
Half way through refoaming. The one in the left was the first and isn't the prettiest. The one on the right is better but the voice coil wants to rub. I'll have to be super careful before gluing the outer part.

e9epubuh.jpg
 
Half way through refoaming. The one in the left was the first and isn't the prettiest. The one on the right is better but the voice coil wants to rub. I'll have to be super careful before gluing the outer part.

e9epubuh.jpg
This is VERY common with surrounds that are not glued to the frame. It's really difficult to test, sometimes even with 40hz test, battery, and especially when using your hands. I like the battery test the best, with the speaker facing up of course. I've had a number of drivers that rubbed with tests before gluing down the surround to frame. Afterwards they operated just fine. Still, you want to take care by using one of the tests mentioned during glue up.
 
Copa is right. I used a 1.5 volt battery to extend the woofer, glued, then used it in reverse to SINK the woofer. DId this a few times, and it was centered up perfectly.

I think you did a fabulous job on these, and am anxious to hear how they sound.
 
Hey all, I see this threads not dead so I thought I'd jump in with a question.

The other day, when I was picking up a Kenwood KA-8006 int. amp that was in great shape, I saw the shop had a set of 601 series 1s that had been refoamed for sale for $195. What do you think of this price?

I don't really need them--I just got a set of brand new Klipsch RF-82iis yesterday--but I'm intrigued enough to be tempted and maybe selling the Bose after a little more refurb work. The screens were a little ratty and unraveling, if I recall.
I would suggest removing this question and post on Dollars & Sense otherwise this whole thread will get moved to Dollars & Sense. Reason? Any time a question has to deal with "value" that's where it gets put.
 
It's the darnedest thing. I missed out on a pair, yesterday, mostly because I couldn't commit to the price. Then today I find another pair AND a Kenwood 6340. All for about half what the other 601 were going for. I'm working logistics out as it's a 3-hr (minimum) round trip drive. Both are original owner.
 
Thanks! I'll try the battery trick, that sounds like a great idea, and I have some 1.5V battery holders laying around so should be easy to rig up those with some alligator clips.

On that one on the right that had the mouse damage, the dustcap was very very dirty/stained.. I'm hoping the mouse didn't pee into the voice coil lol.

I'm still getting the cabinets cleaned up, and I need to go buy some new polyfill since the old polyfill reaks of mouse, dust, and smoke.

I've already steel wooled all of the screws and painted them with some satin black. In the end I'm hoping they'll sound as good as I'm making them look lol.
 
Thanks! I'll try the battery trick, that sounds like a great idea, and I have some 1.5V battery holders laying around so should be easy to rig up those with some alligator clips.

On that one on the right that had the mouse damage, the dustcap was very very dirty/stained.. I'm hoping the mouse didn't pee into the voice coil lol.

I'm still getting the cabinets cleaned up, and I need to go buy some new polyfill since the old polyfill reaks of mouse, dust, and smoke.

I've already steel wooled all of the screws and painted them with some satin black. In the end I'm hoping they'll sound as good as I'm making them look lol.
Urine can be very damaging. Had to deal with this only once with a set of old Heath Kit cabinets. Absolutely beautiful. Then I popped one open and almost fell backwards due to the odor. The urine caused paint to peel off the woofer and the tweeter. Took a lot of cleaning and sitting in direct sunlight, for days, to finally get rid of the odor.

The caps on those aren't cloth are they? If not you likely haven't much to worry about. If they are the problem would be the pole piece and not the VC. Causes serious corrosion. If you have rubbing afterwards listen closely. If it sounds grainy you are talking corrosion. If it is it likely will wear away and shouldn't harm the VC. The windings are on the opposite side and not likely to be affected.
 
The caps on these are screened cloth.. and of course these are the woofers that sit almost horizontally, so I just imagine a mouse just chilling out in the middle snacking on some food. So far, I'm only into the speakers a total of about $26 (foam kit), so I'm not too worried if there are some issues.. considering the in-laws were going to haul them to GoodWill.
 
The caps on these are screened cloth.. and of course these are the woofers that sit almost horizontally, so I just imagine a mouse just chilling out in the middle snacking on some food. So far, I'm only into the speakers a total of about $26 (foam kit), so I'm not too worried if there are some issues.. considering the in-laws were going to haul them to GoodWill.
OMG! A bargain for sure. I'm potentially looking at significantly more, but still cheap by normal "street prices". Besides, I'm unloading all kinds of speakers anyway so I'll make up for it, and make room as well.
 
Series l speakers arrived 30 minutes ago. One already unboxed reveals excellent condition of cabinet ....no pledge or lemon oil trickery. Grill cloths are pristine. Hopefully will get to audition this pm-


Post Script: 3 hours rearranging listening area, dust, mop, vacuum, etc. Text friends to come help audition. The verdict is in- WE ARE VERY PLEASED with this 1st generation 601...cabinets, grill covers, aluminum base trim in stellar condition. All stickers & paperwork....original owner's manual in very good condition- complete with warranty card still intact. The grill material puts us in mind of a combination of linen & cotton....Hersey Chocolate, and the real walnut veneer puts you in mind of claro....I'm extremely pleased and glad I went out on a limb, the anti-bose hype out there is utterly maniacal. The symmetric-asymmetric works as designed...rich solid low very tight- room filling mids & highs. Miles Davis, Swan Lake, 1812 Overture, Sign O the Times perfect from any point in the room. No need for fiddling around finding the sweet spot.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom