• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose 800 and others.

The original:
800.jpg

I`ve read somewhere that these eq`s got +16dB boost so using a ordinary one with +-12dB adjustment would not only be insufficient but very difficult, so I`m sticking with the 901 series II. It works perfect..

If I were to use a Nad 306 integrated amp for supertweeters and a Nad 218 for the Bose 800, placing the eq between these two would not feed "distorted" sound to the tweeters.
 
Bob Orme, I don't think "distorted" is the right word to use to describe what the Bose eq does to the audio signal. All it does is raise or lower the volume of certain frequencies for the drivers to perform their job. The audio signal is not distorted while this is taking place, much like a musical instrument can play certain notes louder or softer.
 
Bob Orme, I don't think "distorted" is the right word to use to describe what the Bose eq does to the audio signal. All it does is raise or lower the volume of certain frequencies for the drivers to perform their job. The audio signal is not distorted while this is taking place, much like a musical instrument can play certain notes louder or softer.
When I wrote that these speakers need equalization that distorts the audio spectrum to sound right, I didn't mean to imply the audio signal is distorted. What the EQ does is radically deviate the audio spectrum as opposed to being flat.
 
I was going to ask you for a pix of the back of the 800's--all pix I have ever seen are of the front. Excellent job of photography! :thmbsp:
 
Not my picture but thanks. Too bad pople dont know what quality speakers these are.. They are a bit "picky" on the recording but aint that a good thing?
 
Pic is of a later model 800. Earlier versions were not fused, had a small ID plate, and two flush mount paralleled 1/4 inputs separate from the ID plate.

Great speakers for vocal/speech intelligibility, and they are capable of fast dynamic attack.

Their one caveat IMO is that they need all the amplifier you can afford or carry to power them.
 
Yes, that's the very same or similar tags the few pairs i've had came with.

All of mine had logo'd grills, but one pair had been sprayed over with matte black. I don't know if they were available with plain grills or not, but i'm aware that logos can be a problem in "working" environments.

Some venues and productions when under sponsorship from other gear companies will issue a rider that forbids displaying logos of competitive brands.
 
Isak, I don't think so. I had the Bose 1801 and two sets of Series II 901's and never had any problem with the speakers or the amp--just the neighbors. The fuse would protect the 800's and the Yamaha must have some protection provision. So if you try that be prepared to move to Sweden! :D
 
Listening to normal speakers after testing the Bose is a real downer.. Katie Webster sounded like someone is trying to strangle her and all the dynamics were gone. What good is deep bass and brilliant hights if the vocalrange just isnt there or the drummer sounds like he`s half a mile down the road? My normal speakers are the Mirage M-7si.
 
Hi Isak,

As I have studied a bit the EQ diagrams I have completely restored my 901 series II processor, you may want to see a parts list ?
True improvement over a 35 years old stock device.

I'm using my Series II with a heavily modified Bose 1801 and an Audio Research LS2B preamp.

Had to install a Pro Bose 1800 (same chassis) faceplate to provide space for the extra capacitors.

boards2.jpg


fin2.jpg


decouplage2.jpg


1800_2.jpg


1880_1.jpg




Thanks for the nice photos !
 
Last edited:
Listening to normal speakers after testing the Bose is a real downer.. Katie Webster sounded like someone is trying to strangle her and all the dynamics were gone. What good is deep bass and brilliant hights if the vocalrange just isnt there or the drummer sounds like he`s half a mile down the road? My normal speakers are the Mirage M-7si.

forgive me for being slow.
So you're saying that the Bose 800's sound better then the M7's?
Those 800's and stands are very cool lookin. that's for sure
 
Here come the pictures of the modifications.

Low ESR caps, modern ultrafast rectifiers, polypropylene caps on the outputs instead of the old electrolytics.

The active EQ has gained a lot of details and transparency and is better on transients.

Since these pics (not visible here) I have replaced the original neon bulb with a 5mm red LED :



P1030138.jpg




P1030139.jpg




P1030140.jpg
 
forgive me for being slow.
So you're saying that the Bose 800's sound better then the M7's?
Those 800's and stands are very cool lookin. that's for sure
Yes the Mirage m-7si aint no good compared to the true live feeling the Bose gives. I`m planning to order custom made stands for the 800`s, made from 4x2" steel tubing something like these or maybe wider? :
17_4_stands.jpg

When changing parts in the eq I would prefer to use the same brand caps instead of several different types. If I get a hold of the fourth speaker I may keep one pair with eq original and modify the other.. Will give it some thought.
Sure one can get better more up to date sound out of an old component but I feel that`s like putting a Toyota 16 valve engine into a Old Classic.. sort of.

I need to get me one of those Bose 1800 but that`s after I find another Yamaha pc2002m.
 
Only tried one of them without, didnt play well. I`m living in a concrete apartment building and speakers usually dont sound good here, standing waves and such. Could give it a go..
 
The only reason I asked is I wasn't sure you had the Series II eq in working order. But for sure the 800's should be played with the eq in the system.
 
Much better sounding in a large room I think compared to the 901's I dunno know why"


-Mike
 
Back
Top Bottom