• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Bose AM-5 series 1 crossover frequency?

I don’t know why my question isn’t being understood clearly. The AM-5 bass module has “outputs” that one connects the satellite speakers to. Obviously these outputs are a high pass crossover in order to filter low bass from the satellites. That means it would be a crossover point(frequency) NOT a range. All I’m asking is if anyone knows what that frequency is and maybe even the slope. I’m not asking if anyone knows what the frequency response of the bass module is. And if the frequency response of the bass module is 50Hz-250Hz or whatever it is that doesn’t necessarily mean that 250Hz is the crossover frequency of the outputs. It can be 180, 200, 210, 250, etc. The owner’s guide to the AM-5 series 1 doesn’t even list the frequency range of the bass module or the satellites so I don’t know where anyone is finding this information. Bose doesn’t list these technical specifications. I was hoping an AM-5(Series 1) owner had already done some testing or figured out the crossover point by looking at the component values and layout. If you don’t know then you just don’t know. Too many opinions, maybes, I guess, I think, etc.. If someone asks a question that requires a factual answer and I know I’ll just share it. If I don’t know then I don’t chime in at all. Simple as that.
 
that article answered your question and we repeated it in case you did not catch it.

just because you don't like or understand the answer does not mean it's wrong.

it is a first order crossover centered at 210hz. the writer of that article did the testing and figured out the crossover point.

now i am out of here
 
that article answered your question and we repeated it in case you did not catch it.

just because you don't like or understand the answer does not mean it's wrong.

it is a first order crossover centered at 210hz. the writer of that article did the testing and figured out the crossover point.

now i am out of here
I read the article but I take that with a grain of salt. I mean it is the only article on the subject. It states:
“As you can see, satellites go down below 300 Hz. Subwoofer go down above 160 Hz, so there is some 6 dB dip in between, centered at about 210 Hz.”
The graphs show the response of the satellites and I see them drop off around 300Hz. This is what confuses me. I wouldn’t be surprised if the high pass crossover point IS “about 210Hz”. If it’s that high then it’s too high for me to want to use those outputs anyway. Sorry for the confusion on my part.
 
Look, I'm not Bose fan except for the 901 Series VI and their big pro stuff; but, uh, I sense some fashionable piling on here. Let's get real.

If you are looking for boom or lots of spurious overtones to add definition, then the Bose Acoustimass Sub from an AM 5 Series 1 is not in any way suitable. BUT if you are looking for a sub to fill a medium sized room with a convincingly musical bottom end and you do not play lots of pipe organ music, then it's OK. Also, if you want to rattle your truck's panels and use the sub as a vibrating sex aid for seducing young prospects again, please pass on the Bose. It will not rock THAT boat. BUT if you like to play a little direct-to-disc Harry James and really hear the bite and smooth, relatively accurate, not cartoonish, bass; then the Bose is OK, cubes and all. Further, if you are a dog or parakeet then pass on the cubes. They are built for people's ears, so if you have homo sapiens' ears, then the Bose cubes are OK.

For most interior designers, budget-minded movie fans and frequent party hosts, the Bose Acoustimass system is a big step up from whatever trash their significant other would allow into a public space before Dr. Bose became a marriage councilor with his neat, small, tidy, relatively hifi little box of trash. I am listening to two Series 1 now hooked in parallel to a clean little class D amp from Amazon complete with remote and a rather beefy external transformer. Frankly, this rig sounds better streaming You Tube over "the blue tooth hit or miss system" than 90% of the hundreds of $3000 systems I have heard. And I paid, let's see: $40 for all 6 loudspeakers, $160 for the amp, and, well, I need the phone anyway, but it was a freebee Galaxy 10 with service. So, maybe less than $250 for the whole shebang.

So, uh, give Bose a break. Their steely, harsh, searing, upper-mid-heavy racket makes the Tonight Show Band sound like the cat's meow! I mean, maybe it's not the smile on the Mona Lisa or the Tower of Pisa, but it's OK, just not a trunk thumper. Actually, I would not use a speaker at all for that. In fact, I use 4 $100 Dayton Bone Thumpers to rattle my truck's side panels and bucket seats and provide foreplay for new special friends who are not audiophiles.

Earth One, over!
 
Back
Top Bottom