• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston Acoustics A40 Refoam Project

You shouldn't have to do any major prying to get the lens off. Should just be the plastic shell on the top/front that should pull off the lower assembly.

I'll check it out tonight once I've glued the surround to the cone and have to wait the 2 hours for it to dry.
 
I didn't see any way to get the tweeter apart. I have the Series 2, with the rectangular tweeter, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Here is the shimmed woofer:



As you can see, two of the shims just barely fit in the gap, and if I didn't position them correctly, they would overlap a little bit. One thing I had a little bit of an issue with was the cone moving when I would raise or lower the shims. I had to position my fingers underneath the cone to keep it from bending in a potentially destructive way whenever I moved the shims.

I covered up the scratches that you can see on the right side of the photo with a Sharpie. I know, I probably should've used paint, but I took my time and only covered the parts that needed it, and you can only tell if you look at it from a certain angle. :)

Then I glued the whole thing together (over the course of the recommended 2 hours, which I filled with listening to these crazy Sony Falcon speakers I got as part of a Craiglist lot and cleaning an old Masterwork receiver). Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the gluing this time, but here are those crazy Falcon speakers:



I used a little bit too much glue in some spots when I was gluing the surround to the basket, but it was somewhat on purpose because I didn't get the basket completely clean like I did the first time. I went through with a utility knife and shaved off the excess in the spots where it was really bad. I wasn't happy with it at all before I started cleaning it up, but now I can deal with it. Not the best job I've ever seen, but I'm sure far from the worst.

Now I'm just waiting for the glue to set completely and then remove the shims (carefully) and glue the replacement dust cap on. Wish me luck!
 
Sax - I just can't allow myself to fail or give up. It's my first try, so if I don't finish I'll probably never try it again.

I got the dust cap glued back on last night and held it down with a 9v battery overnight. I hooked it up this morning and all seems to be well! Now if the tweeter that's showing on Monday actually works, we may be in business!
 
The tweeter showed up early! I got my testing center set up on my work bench last night, so I should be able to test it/them on my lunch break!
 
Success! The tweeter and woofer both seem to be performing well. I snapped a pic over my break, I'll take some more and upload them this evening after the UFC fights are over. I'm still not in love with how woofer #2 turned out, visually speaking, but my mantra has become "learning experience, learning experience". Plus, I'm going to use them with the grills on anyway, so nobody will see it.
 
hellfire,
"After disconnecting the battery, I went around the edge of the basket with a wide stick and pushed the surround down all the way around, repeating the process periodically for about 15 minutes to make sure everything was held down where it needed to be."

I think this step is where the problem started. As you did, I glue the surround on the cone first. Then extend the cone with the 1.5 V battery and put glue on the outer edge. Reverse the leads drawing the cone into the frame. With the leads still hooked up carefully press the outer edge into the frame.

With the leads still attached the magnetic field should act the same as using shims. When you pressed on the outer edge without the battery attached the voice coil gap was disturbed.

Keep up the good work! My first re-foam was a pair of Boston A-100s.
 
hellfire,
"After disconnecting the battery, I went around the edge of the basket with a wide stick and pushed the surround down all the way around, repeating the process periodically for about 15 minutes to make sure everything was held down where it needed to be."

I think this step is where the problem started. As you did, I glue the surround on the cone first. Then extend the cone with the 1.5 V battery and put glue on the outer edge. Reverse the leads drawing the cone into the frame. With the leads still hooked up carefully press the outer edge into the frame.

With the leads still attached the magnetic field should act the same as using shims. When you pressed on the outer edge without the battery attached the voice coil gap was disturbed.

Keep up the good work! My first re-foam was a pair of Boston A-100s.

I agree with you in theory that this is where the problem started. However, I think it's moot (for me, anyway, it's probably still a valuable piece of info for others) because I'm going to use shims from now on. Cutting the dust cover off wasn't nearly as intimidating as I made it out to be in my head, and I managed to do a pretty good job of keeping the replacement centered even without guide lines (the old glue came off with the cap). I do appreciate your input, though. Thanks for the advice!
 
Conclusion?

Here's a picture while I was waiting on the replacement tweeter:



As you can see, this was also before I did a little more work cleaning up the excess glue. I still see some spots I would like to go over again, but I can't use anything strong enough to compromise the woofer or the glue on the basket, so I'll probably just leave it alone. I'm going to run them with grills anyway, so I'm the only one who will even know.

Here's a pic of the finished product. It's probably obvious, but the one of the right is the "redo" woofer, so you can see how the surround on the basket has a little bit too much glue and is therefore a little lumpy looking. It's on there strong, though, I tested them with some bass heavy songs at relatively high volume and everything held. You can also see that the replacement dust cap is made of a slightly thinner material than the originals. I've considered changing out the original dust cap on the other woofer for a replacement one, but you can't really tell the difference with the naked eye, so again, I think I'm going to let that go. Next time, as I stated above, I'll be using shims for both woofers, so it won't matter.



Here they are, with grills, hooked up to my Lepai 2020 that I am now using to test repaired/refurbished speakers, running off of my iPod classic via LOD cable.



I've listened to the speakers for an hour or so, and left them playing at low (-ish) volume for a couple more. Everything is holding, and they sound great! The bass performance is really surprising for a speaker of this size, but it's only there when it needs to be; I think I know what everyone means when they say these speakers are really fun! They're going to be used in my office, and they'll go really well with my Kenwood KA-7100 and eventually a turntable (until the TT, it'll just be Mac and iPod audio).

Now I'm considering stripping off the vinyl covers and replacing it with something nicer. Maybe some day, I have a stack of projects on my bench! As of right now, I'd say this one is completed and successful!

Breakdown:

$30 for Boston Acoustics A40s via auction site with local pickup
$25x2 = $50 for refoam kits
$15 for replacement tweeter via auction site

Total Cost: $95

The rest of what I used (tools, cleaning supplies, etc) I just had laying around the house or garage. $95 is more than I could have gotten a used pair for on the auction site, but not much, and I had a hand in bringing these back to life, so it was totally worth the extra money! I want to thank everyone who submitted their input, or even just took the time to read through this thread.
 
Last edited:
I used a 9V battery and found it worked best with the cone in the up position.

Good luck!

I've read that using a 9V is too much voltage and can damage the voice coil. Did you have any issues with that?

I, for one, didn't even like the popping noise the driver made when I connected and disconnected a 1.2V rechargeable AA battery. Shims only for me from now on!
 
The kid's allright, he's smoking Camel... :smoke:

Best there is ...

Enjoy your A-40, enjoy your success

Next refoam ?
 
Here's a picture while I was waiting on the replacement tweeter:



As you can see, this was also before I did a little more work cleaning up the excess glue. I still see some spots I would like to go over again, but I can't use anything strong enough to compromise the woofer or the glue on the basket, so I'll probably just leave it alone. I'm going to run them with grills anyway, so I'm the only one who will even know.

Here's a pic of the finished product. It's probably obvious, but the one of the right is the "redo" woofer, so you can see how the surround on the basket has a little bit too much glue and is therefore a little lumpy looking. It's on there strong, though, I tested them with some bass heavy songs at relatively high volume and everything held. You can also see that the replacement dust cap is made of a slightly thinner material than the originals. I've considered changing out the original dust cap on the other woofer for a replacement one, but you can't really tell the difference with the naked eye, so again, I think I'm going to let that go. Next time, as I stated above, I'll be using shims for both woofers, so it won't matter.



Here they are, with grills, hooked up to my Lepai 2020 that I am now using to test repaired/refurbished speakers, running off of my iPod classic via LOD cable.



I've listened to the speakers for an hour or so, and left them playing at low (-ish) volume for a couple more. Everything is holding, and they sound great! The bass performance is really surprising for a speaker of this size, but it's only there when it needs to be; I think I know what everyone means when they say these speakers are really fun! They're going to be used in my office, and they'll go really well with my Kenwood KA-7100 and eventually a turntable (until the TT, it'll just be Mac and iPod audio).

Now I'm considering stripping off the vinyl covers and replacing it with something nicer. Maybe some day, I have a stack of projects on my bench! As of right now, I'd say this one is completed and successful!

Breakdown:

$30 for Boston Acoustics A40s via auction site with local pickup
$25x2 = $50 for refoam kits
$15 for replacement tweeter via auction site

Total Cost: $95

The rest of what I used (tools, cleaning supplies, etc) I just had laying around the house or garage. $95 is more than I could have gotten a used pair for on the auction site, but not much, and I had a hand in bringing these back to life, so it was totally worth the extra money! I want to thank everyone who submitted their input, or even just took the time to read through this thread.

How much about elbow grease ?:yes:
 
I did use a fair amount of elbow grease, but not only is it free, it makes me feel better about spending the money.

For anyone who is interested, here's a link to a YouTube video of the speakers in action. I apologize for the music selection to anyone who doesn't like it, but dubstep has more bass that anything else on my iPod. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysicNpNTNTg&sns=em
 
The kid's allright, he's smoking Camel... :smoke:

Best there is ...

Enjoy your A-40, enjoy your success

Next refoam ?

My dad smoked Camel filters, so we can thank him for that.

I am enjoying the speakers already, thank you. I dig their sound.

My next refoam will be a pair of The Advent Loudspeakers I picked up for cheap. Surrounds are traaaaashed, maybe even worse than the A40s when I snagged them. I don't know if that's actually next, though. I want to redo a set of KLH Model 20s; refurb the cabs, change caps, and coat the woofer surround (treated cloth on those).
 
WOW! ...Just stopped by a local thrift store and snagged a pair of the A40 series II for $18.95. Did you happen to take resistance measurements of the drivers when you had them out. I have 3 days to return these if they are FUBAR, they do need new surround foam.

Now I have both series I and series II to play with!!! :banana:

Did you see the thread on the little Lepai amp. I'm going to try out some of the mods on mine. There is one that is supposed to solve the power on surge problem. :thmbsp:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=464404
 
WOW! ...Just stopped by a local thrift store and snagged a pair of the A40 series II for $18.95. Did you happen to take resistance measurements of the drivers when you had them out. I have 3 days to return these if they are FUBAR, they do need new surround foam.

Now I have both series I and series II to play with!!! :banana:

Did you see the thread on the little Lepai amp. I'm going to try out some of the mods on mine. There is one that is supposed to solve the power on surge problem. :thmbsp:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=464404

That's a good deal on the Series IIs, especially if all they need is a refoam.

I did test them, and if I remember right both the woofer and tweeter tested about 6.0 DCR within a couple decimal places. One thing I'll add though, is that one of my tweeters had extremely low output but the DCR tested within range. So that won't always tell the whole story.

As far as the Lepai, I think I'm over the fascination with it. One of the LEDs is on the blink, so I really only use it to test speakers I've been working on. The DTA-100 from Dayton Audio is my favorite of the 4-6 T-Amps I've heard, and the one I'd buy if I was in need of a replacement for the Lepai.
 
Back
Top Bottom