• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Boston Acoustics A40 - refoaming

sancho22

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got a pair at GW for $5. They are in good shape but of course need refoaming.
I had never done it before but reading the post here at AK I have some idea how to do it. I also identified a few vendors for the refoam kit (some on ebay and used by fellow AK-ers but for other speakers).
Any recommendations for the kit?
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
Try to find one at thespeakerexchange.com or simplyspeakers.com

You should use a kit specifically for this speaker otherwise the woofer is limited in a bad way.

Nice score! I just got A150s for $40.
 
I recently purchased a A150 kit from a great individual whose name I received from an AKer. If you're interested in his contact info, send me a PM.
 
You don't really have to worry too much about the foam for A40s. Unlike the higher end speakers in the A-line, the A40s don't appear to have the uniquely angled foam. I have two pairs of A40s, one with brand new replacement woofers from BA and the foam is just your standard angle. I've also re-foamed my other pair with normal generic foam and they sound fine.

If you ever get a higher range A series though, make sure to get the angled foam. I've got a pair of A400s that I need to re-re-foam because I couldn't find the angled at the time, and the generic foam really weakened the low end.
 
I think the foams might be angled- I'll check. I've done about 4-5 pair now, and have another pair and orphan awaiting as we speak.

I've also been doing A70s so I may be getting them confused. I've foams in a package and will check and get back to you.

PM me and I can send you a source for them.
 
Thanks guys.
I think I got a kit from a guy a few AK ers got refoam kits in the past.
I will keep you poated.
 
Thanks for sharing. I will certainly look inot it - I just got my hands on two pairs of BA 150 (one of them are II) which will need some TLC.
 
I am trying to pull the woofers but they would not budge.
Any suggestions how to get them out the cabinet?
Should I keep them on their backs or standing up?

BTW the caps I got with the foam kit are "regular" not the ones i have on the A40 currently (these you can see through look like "cloth").
Will this make a difference?
Thanks
 
When I refoamed my A60II's I had to use a flathead screwdriver, and very carefully pry the drivers out. they will pop right out but since they were in there for 20 years, took a little work :) . What is the material of the dust caps you got?
 
Thanks for the suggestion. The dustcap looks like some dense material - it is not letting light through.
 
The material on my A60s was cloth but it was more dense than what was on the driver. I cannot see the voice coil thru the new caps like I could on the old. Having said that, they sound great so as long as your not going from cloth to metal, I would think you would be ok. Another option is doing the battery refoam which has been documented on AK. This way you don't have to shim the voice coil or cut the old dust cap. I have done it both ways and find it easier using the battery to help center the cone.
 
I am trying to pull the woofers but they would not budge.
Any suggestions how to get them out the cabinet?
Should I keep them on their backs or standing up?

BTW the caps I got with the foam kit are "regular" not the ones i have on the A40 currently (these you can see through look like "cloth").
Will this make a difference?
Thanks

I always took the drivers out with the speakers standing, making sure I caught them as they slid down.
 
I just got to the first speaker. I had a difficult time cutting the dust cap and it moved the cone up and down. I slid in the sims as soon as I could, but who knows.
Also, there is no hasket to hold down the outer edge of the foem correct?
There is only one gasket on the rear which is soft.
So I should just glue the outer edge to the metal "frame" and that is it right?

Sorry for this many questions but this is my first refoam and apparently I have no clues what I am doing LOL
 
When I refoamed my A60II's I had to use a flathead screwdriver, and very carefully pry the drivers out. they will pop right out but since they were in there for 20 years, took a little work :) . What is the material of the dust caps you got?

Best way to get stuck or recessed drivers out is with a nice old fashioned beer can opener. The ones we used before they invented pull tabs. Use the kind with a sturdy handle. Just hook the top curved part between the baffle and as much under the driver basket as you can and gently pull/pry. No hassle.
 
Back
Top Bottom